10 gallon tank ideas

FishSupreme

I've been working on a big project for a while and am a bit worn out on it. I had a ten gallon ready for an extra quarantine tank. Something in the tank (big project) broke and leaked gallons of water onto my floors. Luckily I got it cleaned up, but the damage is quite disheartening. I'm thinking about taking a break from the project and playing around with the ten gallon tank. I just want to do something simpler. Is this a good idea. I want to keep fish I haven't kept. I want to know everybody's thoughts. I don't want to come off as cruel for keeping fish for perhaps a short amount of time (6 to 7 months). There are some fish I've wanted for a while and never could get because of the amount of tanks I own.

MandutheAxolotl

I've been working on a big project for a while and am a bit worn out on it. I had a ten gallon ready for an extra quarantine tank. Something in the tank (big project) broke and leaked gallons of water onto my floors. Luckily I got it cleaned up, but the damage is quite disheartening. I'm thinking about taking a break from the project and playing around with the ten gallon tank. I just want to do something simpler. Is this a good idea. I want to keep fish I haven't kept. I want to know everybody's thoughts. I don't want to come off as cruel for keeping fish for perhaps a short amount of time (6 to 7 months). There are some fish I've wanted for a while and never could get because of the amount of tanks I own.
have you ever owned badis? Scarlet Badis?

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

I don't see a problem with it. There are a lot of options, but not knowing what you've already kept it's difficult to make suggestions. Pygmy corys, celestial pearl danios, and sparkling gouramis are some of my favorites for small tanks.

Upvote 0

emmykenzie

I’m actually planning a 10g planted tank with 4 dwarf puffers. About 6 months out. I’m currently in the process of creating a rough draft for the plans but I’d be happy to send them over when I’m done if you’re at all interested

Upvote 0

FishSupreme

I've owned CRS shrimp, with bamboo shrimp, and Otos in a 10 gallon. I've owned RCS shrimp, Ember tetras, and Otos (this was before the CRS srhimp and bamboo shrimp) in the same 10 gallon. I have some 6 year old goldfish. I used to have a blue dream shrimp tank, but I gave them to a friend. I have one 100 gallon outdoor tub with RCS shrimp (I moved my shrimp outdoors) and White Cloud Mountain Minnows. Everything else I know I've researched for fun. I've dealt with multiple diseases.

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

Peacock gudgeons might be an interesting choice. A pair with some rasboras would look nice.

Upvote 0

emmykenzie

Peacock gudgeons might be an interesting choice. A pair with some rasboras would look nice.
I actually have a friend who set up a smaller tank with gudgeons, they are gorgeous fish! However, he had a male and female and they started breeding like crazy... went from 2 fish to 6 just like that! Needless to say the 10g turned into a 55 xD.

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

I actually have a friend who set up a smaller tank with gudgeons, they are gorgeous fish! However, he had a male and female and they started breeding like crazy... went from 2 fish to 6 just like that! Needless to say the 10g turned into a 55 xD.
That’s awesome! I have really hard water so I never managed to get mine to breed, but one day I might try again!

Upvote 0

emmykenzie

That’s awesome! I have really hard water so I never managed to get mine to breed, but one day I might try again!
They really are! He’s offered me a few cause he’s on his 6th batch of eggs!! I don’t know if I have room for them though .... but maybe .....I’ll make room? xD

Upvote 0

FishSupreme

Nothing highly aquascaped. No co2. Peacock Gudgeons seem nice, but I'm a little worried about fry from what you said.

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

Nothing highly aquascaped. No co2. Peacock Gudgeons seem nice, but I'm a little worried about fry from what you said.
You could get two females. A single peacock gudgeon would also work, you just might not see it as much.

Upvote 0

emmykenzie

Depending on your experience level you could try your hand at rams in a 10g, I’d only go for 2. They do require very low nitrate levels so this is where most of the experience comes into play. I’ve read that some people elect to feed every other day, and on every 3 feeding preform a 50% water change.

Upvote 0

FishSupreme

I'm think about Panda Corys. I've read before that they can be kept in a 10 gallon and have always wanted some. I'm open to any other ideas. Corydoras are just one fish I've always wanted. I'm using an an Spongefilter. I think I'll do German Blue rams and Panda Corys. Is this a good idea?

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

I'm think about Panda Corys. I've read before that they can be kept in a 10 gallon and have always wanted some. I'm open to any other ideas. Corydoras are just one fish I've always wanted. I'm using an an Spongefilter. I think I'll do German Blue rams and Panda Corys. Is this a good idea?

I'm afraid not. GBR's need temperatures in the low to mid 80's F, and that's too warm for panda corys.

Upvote 0

FishSupreme

[/QUOTE]
I'm afraid not. GBR's need temperatures in the low to mid 80's F, and that's too warm for panda corys.
Good to know! I want to definitely keep the Corys. Anything against Brown Pencil Fish. Those are another one I want to keep. I think they will work with more water changes and better filtration. I think I'll get a forest of Crypts and Val going. Both are easy plants to grow. Aq advisor says my aquarium is 110 percent full. I can definitely do 40 percent water changes every week which is just above the recommended. I want to know what the community thinks. Thanks so much. This is a great tank where I can just take things easy.

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

Good to know! I want to definitely keep the Corys. Anything against Brown Pencil Fish. Those are another one I want to keep. I think they will work with more water changes and better filtration. I think I'll get a forest of Crypts and Val going. Both are easy plants to grow. Aq advisor says my aquarium is 110 percent full. I can definitely do 40 percent water changes every week which is just above the recommended. I want to know what the community thinks. Thanks so much. This is a great tank where I can just take things easy.
[/QUOTE]

I'm not familiar with them, but hopefully someone else will chime in with some information.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
philip884551
Replies
Views
MissNoodle
Replies
Views
GUPPYMAMA27
Replies