Stop my fish from entering my filter?

tropical murphy
I have a tank with an 'inside' filter, which is set in it's own corner of the tank. (Sorry I don't know how to discribe it better, but I'm new to all this).

I was told when I bought it that I couldn't house small fish like Tetras, White Clouds or Zebra Danios because they could enter the holes in my filter. The fish were too small, and would die.

I was wondering if there was a DIY option to close up these holes a bit (such as stretching a woman's stocking or panty hose over the holes)? I would love to have some of these smaller fish in my tank.

I'm not sure if this would work, or even how I would attach the nylons to the filter casing... so I thought I'd ask you guys for advice.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of filter, or a solution?

Changing my filter out for a different system is not an option, as it is sort of an integral part in the design of my tank. I have uploaded some pictures of my it (the filter system) on my profile (as I don't think it's exactly a 'standard' type of set-up).

Thanks.

mosaicguppy
I don't see a picture? Maybe cover it with something, I cover my filter which has a tube where the water goes up and I tie netting over it with a rubber band because I have small fish. You can try something like fly wire if you can find it.

critch
Womens tights, held on with an elastic band..

I have to do it with My Fry tanks..

tropical murphy
Thanks for that Critch, but where do the bands go? I kind of have this corner design - made out of the tank itself - so can't see anywhere for attaching bands/stockings or anything!

Picture is in my profile... maybe you can take a look and see what I'm talking about. Sorry I can't explain it better, but it's like an integral part of my tank...

Kopeth
It's hard to tell from your pictures how this filter works. It looks like the water enters from the top and sides? If the problem is the fish getting into the side vent hole things, you could just add some filter padding to block the holes. The top of the filter can be padded with extra foam or filter padding to keep out fish. It doesn't look like zebra danios would get stuck in there. I'm not sure I hope someone can help you out.

tropical murphy
Yes Kopeth, the water enter from the side.

It's like a flat panel with vent holes. It runs the height of my tank, and each hole is a couple of centermeters long and few millimetres wide. (Large enough for a fish to swim, or get sucked into?)

The filter padding sounds like a good preventative measure, and I'm sure by looking at it, that I could stuff it down there...

The thing is... will it then prevent the filter from working correctly? I mean, the larger particles won't be able to get through then, right? And will stay in the tank. Which I guess, I could manually remove with a syphon, but is it a good idea?

Thoughts anyone?

JRC3
The sponge media idea I posted in your other thread might be a solution. If it were cut big enough to leave no space for them to be able to enter.

Kopeth
Another idea would be to cut a piece of crosshatch plastic mesh similar to what they use on the DIY moss posts on this forum.

and put that in front of the filter intake (not inside the filter but against the outside)

You could secure it with a few dabs of 100% pure silicone or aquarium safe adhesive.

You could find a hatch that is big enough to let debris in..but small enough to prevent fish. This should prevent issues with having the clean it constantly or slowing the filter down.

Also look at some of the do-it-yourself forum topics for tank dividers they use the same plastic mesh which should be available at your local crafts store.

Furallicah
Only problem reguardless if you use something like panty hose or mesh, they can still get suck onto the filters intake and die that way if the filter pulls in water that is simply just to strong for them to get out of if they get close to the intake like metal to a magnet. I just simply would get a different filter or not get the fish, unless they were bigger in size like the macro tetras or how ever you describe the abnormally large tetras.

Kopeth
The filter unfortunately is built into the tank. I find it hard to believe danios can't withstand the current of that filter. They are really good swimmers, some other fish like bettas or guppies might have trouble. It's really hard to tell what can handle it without seeing it in person. Try and get bigger fish if you need to.

critch
I would go with "The filter unfortunately is built into the tank. I find it hard to believe danios can't withstand the current of that filter. They are really good swimmers, some other fish like bettas or guppies might have trouble. It's really hard to tell what can handle it without seeing it in person. Try and get bigger fish if you need to."

and get slightly bigger fish, there is not much you can do with one so sealed into the corner, othet than a securley fixed mesh on the inside of the filter wall

JRC3
Can you turn the filter off so there are no bubbles and current distorting the pic, and take a close up pic of the front of the filter intake area. Does your camera have a close up setting...The button or setting will usually have a little icon of a flower on it.

Furallicah
Ah my bad I didnt see that part but yeah, I had a tetra whisper for a 10gal on my..10gal a few years ago it had neons in it...three of them died because they got stuck to the filter.

FiremouthGuy
Is it actually BUILT-IN built in, or can you take it out of the tank at all? Not even to replace the filter media, or to fix it or replace it if it breaks?

tropical murphy
Thanks for all the responses, I really appreciate it and I will try and take some better photos later today and upload, JRC3.

As changing filters isn't an option, the only real way around it that I can see are the two ways you guys have mentioned.

Either stick something onto the holes or get bigger species...

Unfortuanatley given the size of the tank I have (80 liters) finding a species that is too big for the holes, yet small enough for my capacit is proving to be a bit difficult!

Thanks for the advice on the Danios, Kopeth. Am I correct in thinking they can go in with Tiger Barbs?

And, if I use Silicone to fix the mesh on, I assume I have to drain the tank in order to do so? (Stupid question, I know and I already know the answer, really... I just don't want to face that prospect, LOL)

FiremouthGuy
how big are the holes?

JRC3
Also, do you by chance know the brand name or model of that tank. Or is there a generic name for that type setup?

tropical murphy
JRC3, thansk for the sponge idea, and to answer your question: "Roughly, what is the dimensions of that compartment?"

The easiest way to describe it, are that there are 5 surfaces. Each one runs the height of the tank.

The tank corner glass forms 2 of the surfaces.
Then there are 2 small ones also made of glass.
And the flat panel in the front which is made of plastic.

The flat panel in the front is 12 cm across. The holes in it are about 3.5 cm long and 3mm wide.

There is then 2 smaller panels on either side of that one, which are 7 cm wide. Only one of them has holes at the top of it).

My room is too bright at the moment to take photos and there's too many reflections in the glass... so I will wait until tonight and try to take some then.

tropical murphy
No idea what the name / brand is. It's the only type that seem readily available here in Thailand. And it has the fixed corner filter. Sorry I can't expalin more better.

FiremouthGuy
you can DEFINITELY fit larger specimens then neons in that tank. A twenty gallon (80 liter) can hold a pair of kribs and a lot of other different kinds of fish (not all in the tank, but different kinds that would have to be set in with different combos

tropical murphy
Yeah Firemouth, built in and in BUILT IN!

I can of course change the filter if it breaks, and the materials, but not the flat intake panel in the front of it. It is BUILT IN to my tank! ( I think it's a style unique to Thailand!) and it's not the size of the tank I'm worried about in regards to the fish, but the size of intake holes!

I have uploaded pics into an album called "Tropical Murphy Tank & Filter".

Scroll through for pics of the filter, and the darn 'holes' and let me know your thoughts about how I can close them enough to have some smaller species of fish in there.

Thanks.

Kopeth
It looks like the front flat panel is glass or plastic that is silicone mounted to the tank. All you would need to do is get a sharp blade and cut the silicone off and remove the panel. Then you could buy a regular filter that hangs on the back.

JRC3
^
That's so obvious it's painful. Great idea.

You'll get more tank space too. Just be careful cutting the silicone at the bottom in the corners.

Ryan1824
You could take a piece of plexiglass or acrylic and cut it to the same size as the panel on your filter that has the inlets. Then drill a bunch of small holes to let water though. Use rock at the bottom and a clip at the top to hold it in place. Once the filter is on the suction will help hold it secure.

bowcrazy
You might try putting a sponge in front of the intake. The sponge would slow the flow of the intake at the outer edge of the sponge but would not slow the intake at the intake. Hope you under stand what I mean. A sponge filter in front would let the intake work threw the sponge but should keep your fish from getting stuck to it.

tropical murphy
Hm, I like the idea of taking out the corner filter, as it would free up some space and look nicer...

I think it would take me to 22 gal, instead of 18 gal, which would be great!

But... (there's always a but, isn't there... LOL...) I'm not all that confident at attempting it myself! Maybe it's something I can do at a later date.

Meanwhile I like the mesh / sponge ideas... as a temporary fix.

Sponge is winning out, simply because I don't have to drain my tank, and fix stuff onto the filter with silicone...

Though, the mesh would be great IN FRONT of the holes, if I could jam it down into the gravel, and maybe bulldog clip it at the top...

With the sponges I can literally just stuff them back there, behind the intake holes right? I guess it will stop any large particles from being filtered out, but maybe I can just be extra vigilant with my syphon...

Any recommendations for types of sponge, technique for putting it back there...?

Has anyone else actually done something like this before and had success?

Jee, I wish I know about this potential 'hole' problem BEFORE I bought the tank!

When I do eventually remove the filter, and replace it... what recommendations do you guys have for types of filter? There are so many out there... I would need to put in something fairly cheap, and easy to maintain. Do you recommend undergravel?

Any ideas? Thanks.

mosaicguppy
tropical murphy said:
Hm, I like the idea of taking out the corner filter, as it would free up some space and look nicer... I think it would take me to 22 gal, instead of 18, which would be great! But... (there's always a but, isn't there... LOL...) I'm not all that confident at attempting it myself! Maybe it's something I can do at a later date.

Meanwhile I like the mesh / sponge ideas...

Sponge is winning out, simply because I don't have to drain my tank, and fix stuff onto the filter with silicone...

With the sponges I can literally just stuff them back there, behind the intake holes right?

I gues it will stop any large particles from being filtered out, but maybe I can just be extra vigilant with my syphon...

Any recommendations for types of sponge, technique for putting it back there...?

Or has anyone else actually done something like this before?

Jee, I wish I know about this potential 'hole' problem BEFORE I bought the tank!
I believe you have to use the sponge for filters because the ones you buy for cleaning can leech stuff into the water

JRC3
Can you get Hagen Aquaclear filters their? An AC50 would be perfect for your tank. Just search "aquaclear" here, there will be a ton of threads.

I wouldn't recommend an under gravel filter (UGF), but if you do go with a reverse flow under gravel filter (RFUG)

I ran this setup with success but to me it's not worth the extra space that it takes up inside the tank. Though I would recommend it to someone that has a tank placed were they cannot use a HOB filter.

123.jpg

tropical murphy
Thanks JRC3 will look to see if I can get the Aquaclear.

Mike_Syr
What is the flow pattern of the water? Is it in from the front and out at the top side? What moves the water, a pump or air? Do you know the flow rate?

If the intake is only the front I would make a mesh panel and attach 'U' channels on either side of the front piece. Then you could slide the panel in and take it out to clean.

Top Bottom