10 gal brackish tank stocking options?

taylormarie213

Hello! I have looked at many options of fish to stock my 10 gal with but I recently came across brackish water fish. Unfortunately, I have a 10gal (instead of a 20gal or more) so I know I'm limited.

For brackish fish, I like pea puffers and bumble gobies (along with other small gobies).

I also heard that Endlers Livebearers can survive in brackish water as well but I'm not sure how well they would thrive. Another thing I heard was that shrimp, such as Amano and maybe Cherry Shrimp can survive in brackish water as well. Can someone confirm?

Any stocking options on small brackish fish would be great along with compatibility comparison is highly appreciated!!

flyinGourami

Endlers can survive in brackish water, guppies can too. In the wild both of these are sometimes found in brackish water, just make sure you acclimate them slowly instead of suddenly dumping a bunch of salt. Amanos and cherrys should survive, true amanos breed in brackish water. Platys also live in brackish water, they get a tad bit big for a 10 gallon though so be prepared for more poop.

wishuponafish

Hello! I have looked at many options of fish to stock my 10 gal with but I recently came across brackish water fish. Unfortunately, I have a 10gal (instead of a 20gal or more) so I know I'm limited.

For brackish fish, I like pea puffers and bumble gobies (along with other small gobies).

I also heard that Endlers Livebearers can survive in brackish water as well but I'm not sure how well they would thrive. Another thing I heard was that shrimp, such as Amano and maybe Cherry Shrimp can survive in brackish water as well. Can someone confirm?

Any stocking options on small brackish fish would be great along with compatibility comparison is highly appreciated!!
All of the fish you listed are either freshwater-only (pea puffer and cherry shrimp) or can live in both, with the exception of bumblebee gobies of which there are freshwater species and brackish species.

Right now I'm not seeing much of a benefit to making it brackish unless you really want to keep the gobies and crabs or something, as water changes will cost a bit more and you'll have less options with plants. However, brackish can be interesting so it can be a different experience if you wish to venture!

Sheldon13

I vote you get several bumblebee gobies and some brackish macroalgae to go with them. They love resting in the algae and they are a hoot to watch!

Joshaeus

Pseudomugil cyanodorsalis is a fantastic looking rainbowfish that does best in brackish water. As a shoaling fish that stays less than 1.5 inches long, a small shoal of 8-10 would just fit in a 10 gallon (at least according to seriously fish). They will even adjust to and breed in marine conditions and can be used as a shoaling fish in nano reef tanks, as they pose no threat to corals or any other ornamental animals (they're micropredators, so obviously they're not safe with copepods)

roy12j

You could also consider getting brackish crabs such as fiddler crabs or red claw crabs. Also, a fish I have in my brackish 10-gallon tank right now is the American Flagfish. It is a surprisingly colorful fish and they are brackish tolerant. They also do a very good job at cleaning up the tank from algae.

Joshaeus

You could also consider getting brackish crabs such as fiddler crabs or red claw crabs. Also, a fish I have in my brackish 10-gallon tank right now is the American Flagfish. It is a surprisingly colorful fish and they are brackish tolerant. They also do a very good job at cleaning up the tank from algae.
Those would work...if he had a land section. Fiddlers and red claw crabs are both amphibious crabs and will drown if they cannot leave the water. In a 10 gallon, the water section would likely be too small for fish of any kind. As for flagfish, they are primarily freshwater fish and - while tolerant of lightly brackish conditions - do not particularly benefit from them.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MossBall
  • Question
Replies
Views
Kribensis27
Replies
Views
Sarcasm Included
Replies