Using Potassium Permanganate

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There is lots of info on using potassium permanganate out there and I encourage all interested in trying this product to do as much research as possible.
I usually refer to 4 different links to describe what it is , how ,why and what I use it for .
The link for mixing is no longer available was originally found on BIDKA[ British International Discus Keeper Association ] if you all want to look for it ?
So first link is definition of PP
Next is a link from Skeptical Aquarist https://web.archive.org/web/20160313202506/https://skepticalaquarist.com/potassium-permanganate
And this link is from the SA link https://web.archive.org/web/20160315215925/https://www.jackmcneary.com/html/potassium_permanganate_.htm
So it is simple and if you choose there may be other methods to make the solution you will use.One link I listed has a mix but if possible stick with mine .
You can math this out how you want but to get your stock solution you mix 75 grams of the powder with 1,000 ml water. If you have purified water [RO] use it . As I said you can math down however you want 1,000 ml is more then a pond keeper will need. So 7.5 grams to 100ml is fine also .
Once you have that mix ratio made you need 2 drops of the solution per gallon of aquarium to acheive the 2ppm treatment level. 1 drop per gallon equals 1ppm .EASY MATH .
It is important you read all the links .
All the info for safe and practical treatment is provided.
THIS IS NOT FOR EVERYONE ! It is not a short cut and there are real risk using this product.
Each link has warnings in them that should be heeded.
I am more then happy to answer questions for anyone who wants ,but lets try to make them ones that are not answered in the links ! YOU GOT TO READ THEM ALL IF YOU WANT TO PLAY !
This stuff is to serious to not read all the info.
So if you make it past that scare tactics I use and the ones that start a couple of the links and read all and learn about this product things that most struggle with disease wise will be made much easier for you. This is not so much for those with one small tank as much as multiple tanks or fish rooms ..
The applications for this product are so diverse that I use it when my tanks are healthy not just to cure issues ! Unlike many other 'medicines' this product will not treat one single thing .
It kills what you dose it strong enough to . A pathogen/parasite ,snail ,your fish . It kills .The beauty is you can measure proper application amount and with careful experiments/experience you can learn to confidently use it just like dechlorinator .
DeniseF ,richsfishes

Ravynn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This is really great information with lots of medications being phased out in Canada. Thank you!

bitseriously

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ravynn said:
This is really great information with lots of medications being phased out in Canada. Thank you!
I agree, but I think potassium permanganate is one of the more controlled products. If you have a link or a supplier up here, would you share, please?

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In the US it is sold at hardware stores to clean water softeners /iron filters I believe ?
Got Lowes or HD ?

Ravynn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
bitseriously said:
I agree, but I think potassium permanganate is one of the more controlled products. If you have a link or a supplier up here, would you share, please?

Ships from Quebec.

bitseriously

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
coralbandit said:
In the US it is sold at hardware stores to clean water softeners /iron filters I believe ?
Got Lowes or HD ?
Pp is classified as antibiotic, along with other basics like meth blue. Sellers like ravynn linked to are likely not compliant w federal regs (I believe). Won’t stop me from giving them my business though.

Ravynn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
bitseriously said:
Pp is classified as antibiotic, along with other basics like meth blue. Sellers like ravynn linked to are likely not compliant w federal regs (I believe). Won’t stop me from giving them my business though.
Yes, I planned on getting some before I can't find it anywhere.. it's cheap compared to some meds in stores. I'm curious though, you said methylene blue is classified as an antibiotic. Does that mean products with that in it are being phased out here as well?

bitseriously

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ravynn said:
Yes, I planned on getting some before I can't find it anywhere.. it's cheap compared to some meds in stores. I'm curious though, you said methylene blue is classified as an antibiotic. Does that mean products with that in it are being phased out here as well?
Yep, have been for a while. I have family is US who travel up here a couple times per year, and they’ve become my fish med bootleggers.

DeniseF

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you have meds in the tank first, should you do a water change to remove the meds and then do PP then change again?

Also, do you remove the filter/air sponges?

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You don't have to remove sponge if you can take bio out .
If your treating for disease leave it in and watch for mini cycle.
I think I would want meds out but no sure it is necessary .The treatment time will not be long ,4 hours tops .
Once you have read all this and feel confident I recommend you try it in the tank you risk the least with .
Go 1/2 dose which is 1ppm or 1 drop per gallon and keep an eye on the time .
A clean tank getting the 2ppm therapeutic dose should stay purple for 4 hours .Even after I have done my routine water changes I have seen the color change in 2 hours .It truly test and indicates organics in the water our API test never come close to showing !
I don't think any of you will see close to 4 hours . My guess is with test of 1 drop you will loose purple in under 1/2 hour .If so you have installed safely for your first time .If your fish flip out add 1ml H2O2 and then change water .This should not happen with the mix and procedure I am recommending. I made all the mistakes ..This is how I start on a new tank still today.
You need to understand to learn and gain confidence. You wouldn't drink a whole bottle of vodka first time ?
If it changes color quickly you can dose again [1 time] . The light dose is just a safe way to get familiar .Unlike meds it does do something and the change in color indicates it is exhausted unlike a med that in low dose would be ineffective. So even your first low dose counts and helps .
For illness I would treat every other day for 3 treatments max in 1 week.
For therapeutic 1 time a week is wonderful and easy when done before water change.

DeniseF

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So, a couple of questions:

As a visual, your water should be a light pink colour?

It says it will kill snails, would you recommend removing the dead ones after the treatment, or if you have snail eating fish like My Clown Loaches, is it ok to leave them in to eat them?

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Pink is good !
Not sure on snails ?

DeniseF

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Just wanted to give a big Thumbs up for @coralbandits PP thread. I followed the instructions and successfully did my first PP tank clean.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
DeniseF said:
Just wanted to give a big Thumbs up for @coralbandits PP thread. I followed the instructions and successfully did my first PP tank clean.
That's fantastic ! I will say people who do this are as common as people who breed rams maybe !
You need to be pretty serious about it ,but once you grasp it you will use like dechlorinator. Properly and with confidence .

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Would 98.3% reagent grade PP be good to use? I found that on ebay

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Should be no problem .
as long as the filler is 'safe ' which seems silly to say .

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It mentions treating fish in the description, so I think it should be okay then

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks! coralbandit

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The whole Discus gang should read this and be ready ..
jmaldo said:
Thanks! coralbandit
The real beauty is it is healthy to use when your fish are healthy so some make it a regular practice like water changes !

fa4960

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
So that was a nice read / re-read of some very informative posts. Appreciate the effort coralbandit

Just ordered 1 kg of the stuff and should get it latest on Saturday, leaves me time to get some gloves and eye protection.

Except for the currently sick fish I have, the preventive use is very interesting. I from time to time see my fish rub against leaves due to flukes etc. and it would be nice to treat them mildly also without having to do QT when it is late / too late.

If I don't want to risk a mini cycle I can disconnect my sump for the duration of the treatment and just use a powerhead in the tank to circulate the water. Only thing I don't find discussed too much in the links is the impact on plants?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom