Homemade Spirulina Wafers

altermac

This is a receipe for homemade Spirulina chips. You need:

2 fresh (organic) eggs
4 Tablespoon Spirulina Powder
4 Tablespoon flour

You get organic spirulina powder at local organic stores or online at amazon. Its quite expensive, but 250g last forever. The rest of the ingredients should already be in your kitchen (unless you are a student).

You must be registered to see images

Use a stainless steel bowl to mix eggs without shell, the flour and the spirulina powder. Do not use a plastik bowl, unless you wan't to have a green one.

Use a spoon for the first part and kned it by hand later. Try not to mess up your workplace. Add some flour, when the dough is still sticky. You want to get a solid dough ball.

Roll the dough flat on a baking sheet with parchment paper. It should be 3-5mm thick. Cut it to strips or squares with a knife or pizza cutter.

Dry or bake the cookies for at least 2 hours by 80 deg Celsius (175 deg F). The wafers get hard like japanese wasabi cracker. They taste and smell similar, missing only salt and spices.

Do not forget to clean all used tools and bowls immediately. Dishwasher can't cope with dried up spirulina.

These Wafers contain nearly one third algae. Merits of the original receipe belong to the Youtube Channel Mark's shrimptanks.

My Clownplecos and Neocaridina love these wafers. The wafers do not dissolve for at least two days. You can only feed them to fishes that rasp their food from a surface or feed on biofilm/algae. Corydoras for example will ignore this kind of food.

Ghelfaire

Thank you, I was looking for a recipe for my spirulina a while ago and nobody answered

Yeoy

Cool and simple, thanks very much for sharing. I had initial concerns about putting egg in the tank as I know it can foul the water quickly (feeding egg yolk to fry) but I guess once it's mixed in with the dry ingredients and oven-baked, it's all good.

altermac

The trick is to dry or bake the wafers for 2h with 80 deg Celsius. After this treatment the wafer is sterile. With a portion like that I can feed for about 2 months. Keep it dry in a closed jar for storage.

Today it was feeding time for my Neocaridina. They go crazy for these cookies:

MacZ

The trick is to dry or bake the wafers for 2h with 80 deg Celsius. After this treatment the wafer is sterile. With a portion like that I can feed for about 2 months. Keep it dry in a closed jar for storage.

What a heap of blue... :)

I'd add that keeping the stuff in a not too damp and also dark and relatively cool place may give it some extra shelf-life.

Greetings from Bonn. :D

Yeoy

Looks awesome. I'll have to whip up a small batch and see how it goes!

Yeoy

altermac - Following up. I made a batch yesterday. I had trouble getting it down to a thin enough size so kept it in the oven a little bit longer. Didn't have the right equipment but will figure that out for next time.

The good news - the shrimp absolutely love it. It had shrimp on it literally 20 seconds after being in the tank. 2 minutes later and it's a swarming ball of shrimp. Thanks so much for sharing :)

Ghelfaire

Yeah, they're not overly picky

ButtercuptheOranda

Yeah, they're not overly picky
Ok :) I didn’t know if there mouths could eat it or would it be too hard

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Joseph Huntley
Replies
Views
Bucolic Buffalo