SunSun Cannister - UV or no UV, that is the question!

CatfishJack

I don't mind paying the extra for the UV if it works well. Or would I be better off buying the cheaper one with no UV and then adding an intank UV?

Edit: or a separate in-line UV

ZombieKeepr

To be honest, I noticed absolutely no difference between my fish when I had a UV sterilizer vs. when I didn't. If there is a parasitic infection, then yeah, invest in one ... normal tank? I'd vote none at all. It does kill bad stuff but way too much good stuff to be fully beneficial.

AnthonyC4C

Honestly I bought the green machine last night 24watt and just ran it for over 12 hours and I noticed that algae already is not continuing to grow... I WAS going to order the SunSun 304B BUT saying its 55 watt with 525gph sounds good but no actual information on flow rate of actual gph when media and accessories are in...

I found a API Rena XP4 450gph for 185 with media over the SunSun 304B for 104.99 to 129.99 pending on media included...

The XP4 actually tells you there honest flow rate with media & accessories being 190gph BUT it also runs 31watts in which electrical cost will save significantly within just the first year alone.

P.S. Petco sells the green machine for 55.99 24 watt

Eric360

Honestly I bought the green machine last night 24watt and just ran it for over 12 hours and I noticed that algae already is not continuing to grow... I WAS going to order the SunSun 304B BUT saying its 55 watt with 525gph sounds good but no actual information on flow rate of actual gph when media and accessories are in...

I found a API Rena XP4 450gph for 185 with media over the SunSun 304B for 104.99 to 129.99 pending on media included...

The XP4 actually tells you there honest flow rate with media & accessories being 190gph BUT it also runs 31watts in which electrical cost will save significantly within just the first year alone.

I forget where I found it/saw it, but someone hooked an electric meter to their SunSun 304B. I think their readings were 34 watts with the UV light off and maybe 48 (I think, can't quite remember) with it on. It didn't turn out being the 55 they specify.
Never saw anything about the actual loaded flow rate though. I just ordered one for $119 shipped on Amazon. Every review I've read about it was very good. Don't think I saw any negatives for it.

matsungit

If you want an occasional serious and effective UV sterilization the 24 watt Green Killing Machine is the way to go. Anything else is way too slow. The downside is the expensive bulb replacement.

CatfishJack

I ended up ordering a SunSun 302 no UV. Will get a green machine later if I need one.

Eric360

Is it for your 29g? 302 would probably be perfect for that. I just got the 304B for my 60g, didn't know if the 302 would be enough gph. I probably won't end up using the UV, but it just comes with the extra gph.

cichlidmac

I forget where I found it/saw it, but someone hooked an electric meter to their SunSun 304B. I think their readings were 34 watts with the UV light off and maybe 48 (I think, can't quite remember) with it on. It didn't turn out being the 55 they specify.
Never saw anything about the actual loaded flow rate though. I just ordered one for $119 shipped on Amazon. Every review I've read about it was very good. Don't think I saw any negatives for it.

They are 60 bucks on Ebay!

Eric360

The 304B?! Well I'll be go to.... haha I had discover card cashback that I can use at Amazon, so it ended up making it about $68.
That's almost half off though! Is it from a reputable company?

You don't mean the SunSun HW-302 do you? It is $59.99 on Amazon. I wouldn't think anyone would be able to sell a $120 filter for half price on ebay unless it was used or stolen. lol I guess it's possible though!

AnthonyC4C

If you want an occasional serious and effective UV sterilization the 24 watt Green Killing Machine is the way to go. Anything else is way too slow. The downside is the expensive bulb replacement.

I haven't looked at the bulb replacement, I should have though... how much is it?

I couldn't find the 304b on eBay for 60 bucks...

matsungit

I haven't looked at the bulb replacement, I should have though... how much is it?

$33 at PetSmart.

CatfishJack

Is it for your 29g? 302 would probably be perfect for that. I just got the 304B for my 60g, didn't know if the 302 would be enough gph. I probably won't end up using the UV, but it just comes with the extra gph.
Yup! It'll run alongside my Fluval C3 HoB

I couldn't find anything anywhere close to that on Ebay when I was doing my shopping. Lucky you!

$33 at PetSmart.
Get your GKM replacement bulbs here:

AnthonyC4C

For some reason the link doesn't work

AnthonyC4C

Bonefish... LoL after shipping that would actually be more

CatfishJack

The idea is to buy all the other junk you need for cheaper than at petsmart at the same time!

AnthonyC4C

LoL gotcha!

CatfishJack

That's always been the whole idea with internet shopping hasn't it?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21362178675.099971.jpg

cichlidmac

Crud it's not a sunsun, is this the same thing?

It same the same pictures of items I think.

CatfishJack

It sure looks like the same thing.

cichlidmac

Lol I seriously think it is, I'm going to get it with all the media for 69 bucks!

CatfishJack

I'm sure it is the same thing. Much like Asus brand computer products can be found with names such as HP and Gateway on them.

matsungit

It's the same manufacturer. Both Sunsun and Grech are re-branded products. I have the Grech GW-304B which is the same as Sunsun HW-304B. Great filter! Got mine for $90 without the media but with complete floss.

CatfishJack

I have also seen the same thing under the name Sainsun.

tocandesu

Ha.

You changed your name to "CatfishJack"?

AnthonyC4C

Nice... I am breaking down my entire tank now lol and redoing the whole thing...

AnthonyC4C

Yo check it out lol

CatfishJack

Well surprise surprise. Mine came with a bag of carbon, a bag of ceramic noodles and 20 bioballs. Just finished getting it installed and running. Aside from my riccia getting caught in the spray bar and exploding, it all worked out nicely.

I put the three foam pads in the bottom tray, noodles in the middle, bioballs on top and then the shallow cap tray on top got a self cut bit of floss.

I'm liking it!

Raerianna

Got a link for which one you purchased or which seller?

AnthonyC4C

Mine only came with 3 bio stars, 30 PPI and micro filter and a 20 PPI and bag of bio zorb...

LoL what do you do with 3 bio stars lol especially when it needs about 55...

cichlidmac

Haha here's another one! Check this out it's like the new and improved model! Which one should I get I want to order tonight

Edit: Only 20 Watts! Does that make sense?

CatfishJack

Got a link for which one you purchased or which seller?

This one for $59 shipped

Raerianna

Thanks

CatfishJack

Haha here's another one! Check this out it's like the new and improved model! Which one should I get I want to order tonight

Looks pretty similar in set up to the sunsun not sure if same manufacturer though

AnthonyC4C

welp you could always order the Jebao... for 60 bucks its kinda worth the experiment to find out.

cichlidmac

welp you could always order the Jebao... for 60 bucks its kinda worth the experiment to find out.

Says it's only 20 Watts that's awesome!

Raerianna

10 bucks more, same model, but comes with media.

AnthonyC4C

Nice... after I get set up with everything I might get that as well... BUT you should order it first and tell me how it is

Raerianna

I willllll, once I give the boyfriend the money cause he's the one with the paypal account.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Salem
  • Question
Replies
Views
2fishinabowl
Replies
Views
RPD1126