SunSun Cannister - UV or no UV, that is the question!

CatfishJack
Member
I don't mind paying the extra for the UV if it works well. Or would I be better off buying the cheaper one with no UV and then adding an intank UV?

Edit: or a separate in-line UV
 
ZombieKeepr
Member
To be honest, I noticed absolutely no difference between my fish when I had a UV sterilizer vs. when I didn't. If there is a parasitic infection, then yeah, invest in one ... normal tank? I'd vote none at all. It does kill bad stuff but way too much good stuff to be fully beneficial.
 
AnthonyC4C
Member
Honestly I bought the green machine last night 24watt and just ran it for over 12 hours and I noticed that algae already is not continuing to grow... I WAS going to order the SunSun 304B BUT saying its 55 watt with 525gph sounds good but no actual information on flow rate of actual gph when media and accessories are in...

I found a API Rena XP4 450gph for 185 with media over the SunSun 304B for 104.99 to 129.99 pending on media included...

The XP4 actually tells you there honest flow rate with media & accessories being 190gph BUT it also runs 31watts in which electrical cost will save significantly within just the first year alone.

P.S. Petco sells the green machine for 55.99 24 watt
 
Eric360
Member
AnthonyC4C said:
Honestly I bought the green machine last night 24watt and just ran it for over 12 hours and I noticed that algae already is not continuing to grow... I WAS going to order the SunSun 304B BUT saying its 55 watt with 525gph sounds good but no actual information on flow rate of actual gph when media and accessories are in...

I found a API Rena XP4 450gph for 185 with media over the SunSun 304B for 104.99 to 129.99 pending on media included...

The XP4 actually tells you there honest flow rate with media & accessories being 190gph BUT it also runs 31watts in which electrical cost will save significantly within just the first year alone.
I forget where I found it/saw it, but someone hooked an electric meter to their SunSun 304B. I think their readings were 34 watts with the UV light off and maybe 48 (I think, can't quite remember) with it on. It didn't turn out being the 55 they specify.
Never saw anything about the actual loaded flow rate though. I just ordered one for $119 shipped on Amazon. Every review I've read about it was very good. Don't think I saw any negatives for it.
 
matsungit
Member
If you want an occasional serious and effective UV sterilization the 24 watt Green Killing Machine is the way to go. Anything else is way too slow. The downside is the expensive bulb replacement.
 
  • Thread Starter
CatfishJack
Member
I ended up ordering a SunSun 302 no UV. Will get a green machine later if I need one.
 
Eric360
Member
Is it for your 29g? 302 would probably be perfect for that. I just got the 304B for my 60g, didn't know if the 302 would be enough gph. I probably won't end up using the UV, but it just comes with the extra gph.
 
cichlidmac
Member
Eric360 said:
I forget where I found it/saw it, but someone hooked an electric meter to their SunSun 304B. I think their readings were 34 watts with the UV light off and maybe 48 (I think, can't quite remember) with it on. It didn't turn out being the 55 they specify.
Never saw anything about the actual loaded flow rate though. I just ordered one for $119 shipped on Amazon. Every review I've read about it was very good. Don't think I saw any negatives for it.
They are 60 bucks on Ebay!
 
Eric360
Member
cichlidmac said:
They are 60 bucks on Ebay!
The 304B?! Well I'll be go to.... haha I had discover card cashback that I can use at Amazon, so it ended up making it about $68.
That's almost half off though! Is it from a reputable company?

You don't mean the SunSun HW-302 do you? It is $59.99 on Amazon. I wouldn't think anyone would be able to sell a $120 filter for half price on ebay unless it was used or stolen. lol I guess it's possible though!
 
AnthonyC4C
Member
matsungit said:
If you want an occasional serious and effective UV sterilization the 24 watt Green Killing Machine is the way to go. Anything else is way too slow. The downside is the expensive bulb replacement.
I haven't looked at the bulb replacement, I should have though... how much is it?

cichlidmac said:
They are 60 bucks on Ebay!

I couldn't find the 304b on eBay for 60 bucks...
 
matsungit
Member
AnthonyC4C said:
I haven't looked at the bulb replacement, I should have though... how much is it?
$33 at PetSmart.
 
  • Thread Starter
CatfishJack
Member
Eric360 said:
Is it for your 29g? 302 would probably be perfect for that. I just got the 304B for my 60g, didn't know if the 302 would be enough gph. I probably won't end up using the UV, but it just comes with the extra gph.
Yup! It'll run alongside my Fluval C3 HoB

cichlidmac said:
They are 60 bucks on Ebay!
I couldn't find anything anywhere close to that on Ebay when I was doing my shopping. Lucky you!

matsungit said:
$33 at PetSmart.
Get your GKM replacement bulbs here:
 
AnthonyC4C
Member
For some reason the link doesn't work
 
  • Thread Starter
CatfishJack
Member
AnthonyC4C
Member
Bonefish... LoL after shipping that would actually be more
 
  • Thread Starter
CatfishJack
Member
The idea is to buy all the other junk you need for cheaper than at petsmart at the same time!
 
AnthonyC4C
Member
LoL gotcha!
 
  • Thread Starter
CatfishJack
Member
That's always been the whole idea with internet shopping hasn't it?


ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21362178675.099971.jpg
 
cichlidmac
Member
Crud it's not a sunsun, is this the same thing?

It same the same pictures of items I think.
 
  • Thread Starter
CatfishJack
Member
It sure looks like the same thing.
 
cichlidmac
Member
Lol I seriously think it is, I'm going to get it with all the media for 69 bucks!
 
  • Thread Starter
CatfishJack
Member
I'm sure it is the same thing. Much like Asus brand computer products can be found with names such as HP and Gateway on them.
 
matsungit
Member
It's the same manufacturer. Both Sunsun and Grech are re-branded products. I have the Grech GW-304B which is the same as Sunsun HW-304B. Great filter! Got mine for $90 without the media but with complete floss.
 
  • Thread Starter
CatfishJack
Member
I have also seen the same thing under the name Sainsun.
 
tocandesu
Member
Ha.


You changed your name to "CatfishJack"?
 
AnthonyC4C
Member
CatfishJack said:
Nice... I am breaking down my entire tank now lol and redoing the whole thing...
 
  • Thread Starter
CatfishJack
Member
GoldfishesAndGuppies said:
Ha.


You changed your name to "CatfishJack"?
Yup !!
 
AnthonyC4C
Member
Yo check it out lol
 
  • Thread Starter
CatfishJack
Member
Well surprise surprise. Mine came with a bag of carbon, a bag of ceramic noodles and 20 bioballs. Just finished getting it installed and running. Aside from my riccia getting caught in the spray bar and exploding, it all worked out nicely.

I put the three foam pads in the bottom tray, noodles in the middle, bioballs on top and then the shallow cap tray on top got a self cut bit of floss.

I'm liking it!
 
Raerianna
Member
Got a link for which one you purchased or which seller?
 
AnthonyC4C
Member
Mine only came with 3 bio stars, 30 PPI and micro filter and a 20 PPI and bag of bio zorb...

LoL what do you do with 3 bio stars lol especially when it needs about 55...
 
cichlidmac
Member
Haha here's another one! Check this out it's like the new and improved model! Which one should I get I want to order tonight



Edit: Only 20 Watts! Does that make sense?
 
  • Thread Starter
CatfishJack
Member
Raerianna said:
Got a link for which one you purchased or which seller?
This one for $59 shipped
 
Raerianna
Member
Thanks
 
  • Thread Starter
CatfishJack
Member
cichlidmac said:
Haha here's another one! Check this out it's like the new and improved model! Which one should I get I want to order tonight
Looks pretty similar in set up to the sunsun not sure if same manufacturer though
 
AnthonyC4C
Member
cichlidmac said:
Haha here's another one! Check this out it's like the new and improved model! Which one should I get I want to order tonight
welp you could always order the Jebao... for 60 bucks its kinda worth the experiment to find out.
 
cichlidmac
Member
AnthonyC4C said:
welp you could always order the Jebao... for 60 bucks its kinda worth the experiment to find out.
Says it's only 20 Watts that's awesome!
 
Raerianna
Member
10 bucks more, same model, but comes with media.
 
AnthonyC4C
Member
Nice... after I get set up with everything I might get that as well... BUT you should order it first and tell me how it is
 
Raerianna
Member
I willllll, once I give the boyfriend the money cause he's the one with the paypal account.
 
AnthonyC4C
Member
lol only turn off is the green tubing... I am already looking for replacement tubing on this blue/grey tubing on the Filstar
 
Raerianna
Member
I already have green tubing on the eheim on the 29. I just hide it behind plants
 
cichlidmac
Member
Is this sunsun? I can't find the brand name. I want to compare the wattage on all of these.
 
cichlidmac
Member
Raerianna said:
10 bucks more, same model, but comes with media.
That's the one I'm looking at. I found some good reviews but the only con is that they are apparently greased inside. Takes a bit of work to remove it all.
 
Raerianna
Member
Looks like a sunsun to me
 
AnthonyC4C
Member
Greased inside?
 
cichlidmac
Member
Ok so the sunsun is 35 Watts and the jebao is 20? You think that's a misprint? The jebao is 60gph more also.
 
AnthonyC4C
Member
The 302 is 35 watt correct? Because the 304 is 55 watt
 
cichlidmac
Member
Doesn't matter boom right here! Jebao 4 stage 320 gph only 20 Watts Free Media 58 bucks not Ebay! I'm getting it right now!
 
matsungit
Member
The grease is fish safe and keeps the o-rings from hardening. Silicone grease is totally inert and will not pollute the water. I always keep silicone grease handy to take care of my pumps and filters. Just make sure it's pure and without other harmful chemicals. I've used CRC Technician Grade Di-Electric grease for a long time (only the red one, green/blue is not fish safe).
 

Latest threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Find a Guru

Top Bottom