SOS- NEGLECTED TANK!!!

babyshark24

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just to preface this, I'm in high school and an avid fishkeeper. My mom if afraid of fish and my dad is the only one who lets me keep pets. I'm at dad's house once every week- he feeds the fish and then I do the water changes whenever I see him.
This time, I couldn't get back to his place for two and a half weeks. I instructed him on how to do a water change and told him when to do it.
Well, I come back from opening night of the school play at one in the morning. I immediately see my 30-gallon tank in the living room, and it's looking less than stellar.
Two of our newest fish, little female platies, were both dead. Blue one was in the fridge after dad found her dead, and yellow platy was nowhere to be seen (I later found her remains behind a plant.)
My favorite fish, Finley, this brilliant orange lyretail female mollie was SO happy to see me, but she had a massive cut down her right pectoral fin with ragged edges.
My aquatic plants are looking SO scraggy- I think the mystery snails, after not having been fed, have been nibbling at the edges.
I'm going to immediately perform a salt dip on all of the fish showing signs of fin rot and ich- which all of the fish except my bristlenose pleco- and perform a water change and filter media refresh, pump up the filter flow, and take as much algae off the surfaces as possible.
My current theory is that my dad put WAY too much food in and didn't change the water, causing an ammonia spike and killing the smallest fish in there- which would be the two female platies.
My dad is going to be VERY stingy with buying commercial treatments for the tank, and I think all of the parasites are to the point that a salt dip daily will nip it in the bud. I have aquarium salt ready to go and I have all the time in the world today to do a 60% water change, maybe vacuum the gravel if I don't change the filter media...

Don't worry, I'll be giving him a BIG talk about keeping MY pets healthy.

SICK FISH TEMPLATE

29 gallon Aqueon tank
Two month cycling, three months running
Filter is an Aqueon Quietflow 30 (I'm getting a canister filter in a few weeks)
Heater is an Aqueon 13 inch (came with tank, getting a backup in a few weeks because we live in a SUPER cold area)
Water temp set to 78 Fahrenheit (25 cel)

STOCKING
3 young adult mollies- two female, one male
1 baby bristlenose pleco
3 mystery snails
2 Japanese Amano shrimp
1 cherry shrimp
5 black skirt tetra
1 male platy

plants:
3 amazon swords
1 crested java fern

Maintenance
Once a week
25-50%
Tetra Chlorine Remover
Vacuum gravel

*Parameters - Very Important
Yes, until ammonia was at 0.0
API 5-in-one, I'm hoping to get the Aqueon master kit for my birthday

Ammonia: 0.0 ppm
Nitrite: 0.6 ppm
Nitrate: 20 ppm
pH 7.6

Feeding
Twice a day, but dad probably feeds more often
I feed two minutes of flakes and half algae pellet
Tetra Tropical Flakes, Aqueon algae pellets (switching to Omega One once they run out)
I occasionally make my own snello with gelatin, seaweed, etc- or give them a treat of boiled veggies, marine seaweed, brine shrimp, freeze-dried river shrimp, etc.

Illness & Symptoms
Three months, the platies that died were small and I had gotten them less than a month ago
Yesterday when I came back to see my fish
Fin rot and ich on most of my fish.
No, but I have salt dip materials on hand
Not injured upon purchase
No behavior has changed.

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
I gave my dad instructions for caring for my fish tank, but he didn't when I was gone for a longer time than usually. The smallest fish, two small platies, were dead, and the rest of the fish had a slew of parasites- fin rot and ich

Ronniethewitch

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Oh I am so sorry you're going through this!

It sounds like you're doing everything you can with what you have to hand...honestly, fresh (treated) water is your best friend right now. As many large-ish water changes you can give along with your salt dip. The only thing would say, probably not a good idea to change the filter right now. That's what holds your good bacteria to keep toxins down. Give it a good swish in some of the old tank water you're removing to clean it up a bit, but don't change it.

I sure hope you you're able to convince Dad to feed less somehow, or this won't be the end of it. Can you show him how much to feed? He's seen the result so maybe he'll listen this time. Good luck!

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm sorry to hear about the problems. Maybe you could put the fish food in small envelopes and ask your dad to feed one each day?

AngryRainbow

Well Known
Reaction score
To help dad feed the fish you could get one of those weekly medicine pill holders and pre-portion out the food for him. That way all he has to do is dump in the one marked for each day.

Increasing the temp of the main tank slowly will help with the ich. Removing the fish for salt baths won't help as far as ich goes because it's all over in the infected tank. But they may help with the fin rot.

The problem with ich treatment using heat is that you need to do frequent water changes to remove the parasites that fall to the substrate. If you aren't there to do so, you're best bet would be ich medicine

OP
babyshark24

babyshark24

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you all! I'll start with a big water change and start treating with dips and when I leave for the week I'll pre-portion the food.

SharkBait91

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
babyshark24 said:
Just to preface this, I'm in high school and an avid fishkeeper. My mom if afraid of fish and my dad is the only one who lets me keep pets. I'm at dad's house once every week- he feeds the fish and then I do the water changes whenever I see him.
This time, I couldn't get back to his place for two and a half weeks. I instructed him on how to do a water change and told him when to do it.
Well, I come back from opening night of the school play at one in the morning. I immediately see my 30-gallon tank in the living room, and it's looking less than stellar.
Two of our newest fish, little female platies, were both dead. Blue one was in the fridge after dad found her dead, and yellow platy was nowhere to be seen (I later found her remains behind a plant.)
My favorite fish, Finley, this brilliant orange lyretail female mollie was SO happy to see me, but she had a massive cut down her right pectoral fin with ragged edges.
My aquatic plants are looking SO scraggy- I think the mystery snails, after not having been fed, have been nibbling at the edges.
I'm going to immediately perform a salt dip on all of the fish showing signs of fin rot and ich- which all of the fish except my bristlenose pleco- and perform a water change and filter media refresh, pump up the filter flow, and take as much algae off the surfaces as possible.
My current theory is that my dad put WAY too much food in and didn't change the water, causing an ammonia spike and killing the smallest fish in there- which would be the two female platies.
My dad is going to be VERY stingy with buying commercial treatments for the tank, and I think all of the parasites are to the point that a salt dip daily will nip it in the bud. I have aquarium salt ready to go and I have all the time in the world today to do a 60% water change, maybe vacuum the gravel if I don't change the filter media...

Don't worry, I'll be giving him a BIG talk about keeping MY pets healthy.

SICK FISH TEMPLATE

29 gallon Aqueon tank
Two month cycling, three months running
Filter is an Aqueon Quietflow 30 (I'm getting a canister filter in a few weeks)
Heater is an Aqueon 13 inch (came with tank, getting a backup in a few weeks because we live in a SUPER cold area)
Water temp set to 78 Fahrenheit (25 cel)

STOCKING
3 young adult mollies- two female, one male
1 baby bristlenose pleco
3 mystery snails
2 Japanese Amano shrimp
1 cherry shrimp
5 black skirt tetra
1 male platy

plants:
3 amazon swords
1 crested java fern

Maintenance
Once a week
25-50%
Tetra Chlorine Remover
Vacuum gravel

*Parameters - Very Important
Yes, until ammonia was at 0.0
API 5-in-one, I'm hoping to get the Aqueon master kit for my birthday

Ammonia: 0.0 ppm
Nitrite: 0.6 ppm
Nitrate: 20 ppm
pH 7.6

Feeding
Twice a day, but dad probably feeds more often
I feed two minutes of flakes and half algae pellet
Tetra Tropical Flakes, Aqueon algae pellets (switching to Omega One once they run out)
I occasionally make my own snello with gelatin, seaweed, etc- or give them a treat of boiled veggies, marine seaweed, brine shrimp, freeze-dried river shrimp, etc.

Illness & Symptoms
Three months, the platies that died were small and I had gotten them less than a month ago
Yesterday when I came back to see my fish
Fin rot and ich on most of my fish.
No, but I have salt dip materials on hand
Not injured upon purchase
No behavior has changed.

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
I gave my dad instructions for caring for my fish tank, but he didn't when I was gone for a longer time than usually. The smallest fish, two small platies, were dead, and the rest of the fish had a slew of parasites- fin rot and ich
You should see about getting an auto feeder for when you aren't there.

fishbreeeder

Reaction score
Oh no

I know how it feels when your favorite fish die. I know how much you love them since you named them. Good luck.

New Threads