Ponzll's 3d Printed Aquarium Goodies Thread!

Discussion in 'DIY - Do It Yourself' started by PonzLL, Aug 2, 2018.

1. PonzLLWell Known MemberMember

This is where I'll brainstorm and post things I've designed and 3d printed to make my aquarium hobby easier or more fun!

Here's a raised mount I designed and printed to hold my T5HO lamp above my 20L tank
    2018-07-29 18.00.49.jpg

Here's a test tube drain that clips onto the 2x4 legs of my stand.
    2018-08-01 19.12.50.jpg

Here's a little screw on holder for the various tools I use for precision dosing in the tanks.
    2018-08-02 21.59.47-1.jpg

And here's a little thing I designed today to carry around from tank to tank while I do my testing. It screws down to a table if needed, and has places to drain the vials and lids.
    2018-08-02 22.16.37.jpg

That's all I've made so far, but I just started doing it this week. If anyone has some neat ideas please share! I think something I want to do is make something to tie moss to.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  2. IHaveADogTooWell Known MemberMember

Aaaaaaaand there's my excuse to buy a 3D printer

3. HelloThereValued MemberMember

Saaaaame here, is it aquarium safe?

4. PonzLLWell Known MemberMember

PLA is plant based and is considered safe. You can also print with ABS which many aquarium components sold is stores are made of. PETG is another option that's completely tested and considered food grade.

I just discovered that there's a DIY forum. Is there any way for a mod to move this thread there please?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2018
  5. AquaticJFishlore VIPMember

@Lucy

6. PonzLLWell Known MemberMember

Here's the updated version of the testing/draining station!

2018-08-03 17.09.12-1.jpg2018-08-03 17.06.51-1.jpg2018-08-03 17.06.41-1.jpg

7. techfoolWell Known MemberMember

Is this nerd heaven? :)
    Not quite up to your standard but here's a bit of wire holding up a pothos. You can just see my betta to the right.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  8. PonzLLWell Known MemberMember

lol I just have pothos hanging out the back of my filter

9. PonzLLWell Known MemberMember

I printed this last night, it's a bonsai tree modeled after cholla wood. I did not design this one myself, but found it on thingiverse and thought it was awesome to tie java moss to for my shrimp tank!

Attach26567_20180806_101555.jpg

These are 3 models that I'm going to throw up on the printer tonight. All are variations on the ones that I've made already. I think I'm going to make an Etsy store or something.

First one is for drying vials. It screws to a side panel or wall. Second is a drying station for vials and lids that sets on a shelf or table. It can be screwed down too. The third is a shelf to stick java moss or whatever to the side wall.

1.png2.png3.png

10. PonzLLWell Known MemberMember

Alright here we go. I like the tree. The java moss looks pretty bad so far, but I'm hoping it'll eventually get used to my water and take off.

2018-08-06 20.22.39.jpg

Tired of using an air stone for a diffuser

Too cheap to buy a real one

gonna try to 3d print one by forcing tiny CO2 bubbles between the microscopic gaps in printed layers.

2.jpg

I made the infill full of gaps so that only the outer walls restrict flow.

1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2018
  11. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

Im interested to seeing how that CO2 diffuser works... Im subbing.

12. PonzLLWell Known MemberMember

You and me both my friend. The printer was still going when I went to bed, so I haven't been able to start the diffuser yet, but I'm gonna see if I can walk my wife through starting it over the phone like I did the other day so that it's printed for me when I get home from work :)

13. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

I wonder how to convince my wife that buying a 3d printer is a good idea.

14. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

You need it for 'work'?

15. PonzLLWell Known MemberMember

3d printers aren't even that expensive, especially up against a hobby like this.

I'm using a Maker Select V2 which was $300, but they have a smaller one that prints just as nice for like $200.

Also here are the 3 prints that I did last night just to get parts for each of the 3 new designs posted above.

2018-08-07 15.52.39.jpg2018-08-07 15.52.07.jpg2018-08-07 15.51.18.jpg

16. PonzLLWell Known MemberMember

I tried doing the diffuser walls 3 different ways and all of them just give me a big bubble every second or so. Oh well

I'm currently printing a shorter version of my moss bed, and after that finishes, I'm going to throw this thing up. It's custom for my 4 tanks to test Ammonia and Nitrite all at once.

home testing.jpg

17. PonzLLWell Known MemberMember

The part above finished late last night and it turned out super nice. I'll post a picture today when I do my water testing!

Today I designed these to use with the DIY python water changer I put together last night. One is a vac to screw to the end of my water hose, and the other is a piece to screw on for adding water back in without disturbing everything. As I'm typing this I realized I need a female thread, so I'll fix that lol. May as well keep these ones though.

vacs.png

edit: here's the female set I'm gonna actually print.

vacsfemale.png

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  18. WTFish?Well Known MemberMember

Holy heck, this is really a thing and not just on the sci-fi channel? Wow! Great talent, you for sure need an Etsy store! I want that tree! Thanks for sharing.

19. PonzLLWell Known MemberMember

thank you! Yeah 3d printing is miraculous lol

Unfortunately that bonsai is the only thing I did not design myself, and it has a non-commercial license so I am not allowed to sell it. I've actually been working on my first etsy store though lol. I'm new to that site so still trying to figure out how it all works :p

20. WTFish?Well Known MemberMember

Well all of those are fantastic ideas, I’m sure your business will take off!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice