Ponzll's 3d Printed Aquarium Goodies Thread! - Page 7

Culprit

That would be cool.

I would think it would be really simple. Especially canister filters. The most expensive part would be the motor and impeller, but I would think you'd be able to cut costs by about 50%? (haven't done any research, just spouting)

fa4960

That would be cool.

Cool - absolutely
Cost effective - Hmm?

or maybe I am just spoiled in Asia with the local imports from China?

Dave125g

I would think it would be really simple. Especially canister filters. The most expensive part would be the motor and impeller, but I would think you'd be able to cut costs by about 50%? (haven't done any research, just spouting)
Possibly.
Cool - absolutely
Cost effective - Hmm?

or maybe I am just spoiled in Asia with the local imports from China?
I've seen DIY canisters made from 5 gallon buckets, even 5 gallon water jugs. A power head is probably the most expensive part.

I would think a 3d printer capable of making something that large would be quite expensive.

PonzLL

Well it's not ideal, but you can certainly glue together 3d printed parts, and the glue is usually stronger than the rest of it. That said, the biggest issue here would be water seeping through microscopic gaps left between layers. I can print things that hold water, but asking it to do so long-term, or under pressure is asking a lot!

Culprit

Possibly. I've seen DIY canisters made from 5 gallon buckets, even 5 gallon water jugs. A power head is probably the most expensive part.

I would think a 3d printer capable of making something that large would be quite expensive.

Well it's not ideal, but you can certainly glue together 3d printed parts, and the glue is usually stronger than the rest of it. That said, the biggest issue here would be water seeping through microscopic gaps left between layers. I can print things that hold water, but asking it to do so long-term, or under pressure is asking a lot!

I wasn't really thinking big canister, I ws more thinking nano filters. There's only one or two nano canister filters (for tanks around 2.5 to 10 gallons) that are low flow enough for those small tanks. Small pumps are only about $5. I would definitley buy one for my betta tank.

Is there anyway you could seal it?

Dave125g

I wasn't really thinking big canister, I ws more thinking nano filters. There's only one or two nano canister filters (for tanks around 2.5 to 10 gallons) that are low flow enough for those small tanks. Small pumps are only about $5. I would definitley buy one for my betta tank.

Is there anyway you could seal it?
I'm sure there's some type of resin it could be coated with to seal it, but now your gonna have consider cost effectiveness of printing one out.

Fishcat

Bit OT, but do you happen to know which of the commonly used plastics (the 1-7 group) are safe for long-term use in saltwater? Working on a snail breeding setup and plastic would be easier to use than glass.

PonzLL

I don't know enough to answer that without guessing a little.

Also I got my shipping boxes but then went on a thanksgiving trip and have just gotten caught up on things and think I'm ready to start figuring out how to go about the planter baskets assuming anyone is still interested

Fishcat

I am still interested in planter baskets. If you post them on your sales thread I bet a lot of other people would be interested as well.

ETNsilverstar

I think I'll end up needing a basket too. I could really use some floater plants to help keep nitrates down, but even the fastest growing ones get eaten by my goldfish before they can actually grow...

PonzLL

I didn't even consider the possibility of keeping floaters protected in one of them!

Culprit

Anything on frag racks yet??

PonzLL

Nope, I'm still printing with PLA. I was gonna get a better printer to enclose and use ABS but ended up getting a PS4 and a bunch of games instead lol

jjohnwm

Personally, I'm waiting with bated breath for 3-D printed fish.

When you get to that point, please start a new thread!

PonzLL

I already have! Oh wait, this doesn't count, does it?

50f2b0d089865eb69bd61345d6244d76_preview_featured.jpg

Dave125g

Lol that looks like the fish from super Mario bros on the WII.

NanaW

I already have! Oh wait, this doesn't count, does it?

50f2b0d089865eb69bd61345d6244d76_preview_featured.jpg

I like it ! can you make me one in red , no make it white or yellow I want to glue it to his background and it’s black, unless you think the color will stress him ? no wait fish don’t see colors

PonzLL

Those aren’t my design and the designer doesn’t allow me to sell them!

NanaW

Those aren’t my design and the designer doesn’t allow me to sell them!

Oh man that would have been perfect

Fishcat

Did you figure out a price for plant baskets?

PonzLL

no I got bored of the whole thing

PonzLL

I ended up just getting a second, identical printer lol. I liked the first one so much and dialed it in so well that I figured it just made sense to stick with it since I know the thing inside and out by now.

Also I'm interested in making plant baskets again I suppose, but I really have no idea what a reasonable price for the thing would be hence the hesitancy to sell them originally :S

Also I built this little work table in the basement so it's the right height to work with without bending over.

Oh and I added a UPS so I don't lose a 10 hour print over a 3 second power outage again like I did the other day lol!

2019-02-08 22.06.24.jpg

ETNsilverstar

If you need a shipping guinea pig, I'd be happy to buy one of the plant baskets asap.

tfreema

Dave125g, can you load the picture of your powerhead shelf that you created to see if OP could do something like that?

Dave125g

Dave125g, can you load the picture of your powerhead shelf that you created to see if OP could do something like that?
I'm sure they can.
20190214_143244.jpg
20190214_143231.jpg

PonzLL

Simple and effective. Awesome

NanaW

Welcome back

PonzLL

Thanks Nana. I come here basically every day still I usually just read and not post though. Usually don't have much to add!

Dave125g

Simple and effective. Awesome
Not very pretty, but it works. Blue, or black would be nice.

Lacey D

Hope this doesn't count as rezing a dead thread, but I just had to share that I FINALLY got my Monoprice Maker Select v2 up and running consistently-- I had all kinds of issues with it feeding and ended up replacing parts and taking everything apart several times, but it's been printing successfully for weeks now, everything I can throw at it. So I'm finally working my way through my backlog of downloaded and saved designs, and a few designs of my own. This is the one that's currently sitting on my print bed, waiting for me to get home and install it:

HangingBracket_v2.JPG
It's a bracket to hang my air pump from the shelf above my tanks, so I can run the lines to all 4 tanks on the rack. There wasn't really anywhere else to put the pump that let me access it easily, and have it central enough that I shouldn't have to mess too much with the pressure to get all four sponge filters running equally. I test printed it twice so far, and made tweaks to the design. Hoping this is the final version I also printed off some airline holders from thingiverse:

It feels so good to have a functional printer after years of messing with them, between my DaVincI 2.0 and this one! Now I just need some good 3D scanning tech

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Maxxx
Replies
Views
Bryangar
  • Question
Replies
Views
John58ford
Replies