Koi Betta Breeding Journal

Guanchy

Hey Everyone! HAPPY NEW YEAR!

So I succesful bred my male and female betta this past week which I'm super excited about! I dicided to share with you guys the experience in this thread and the fry growth as well!

Here is my male (yellow) and female (red)

And here is the set up:

10g tank, fill to about 30% of water.
Tons of Indian Almond Leaves.
Lots of Java fern in a corner of the tank for the female to hide.
A heater
Tight lid with a lamp
A breeding box to first introduce the female

Before introducing them to the 10 gallon I fed them for about a week lots of blood worms because its rich in protein and its great to condition the pair for breeding! (I'm sure must of you know this, but in case a new member is reading the thread)

And here is a quick video of when I first introduced the female into the tank

And last here is a picture of the male guarding the eggs

You can see some of the eggs under the bubble nest

Fashooga

This ought to be a fun read.

Guanchy

I'm excited to share this experience here with you guys!

Here is another photo of Tiger watching the eggs

I have been recording the whole experience, soon ill be doing a youtube video

Makuarium

Guanchy said:
I'm excited to share this experience here with you guys!

Here is another photo of Tiger watching the eggs

I have been recording the whole experience, soon ill be doing a youtube video
He's so pretty!!!!

Guanchy

Makuarium said:
He's so pretty!!!!
Hahah thanks! He is such a great fish.

Repolie

Wow what a beautiful pair! I want to see what their offspring would look like too.

WinterSoldier.

Omg, those babies are going to be beautiful, both the female and the male are so pretty, can't wait to see how they develop

aquafrogg

Such a beautiful pair!

Gen120

Wow, this is so awesome!! Would you be selling the babies? I love bettas and would love to have a koI one! Love the name Tiger, such a cute name!

Guanchy

Repolie said:
Wow what a beautiful pair! I want to see what their offspring would look like too.
BrownsFan#1 said:
Omg, those babies are going to be beautiful, both the female and the male are so pretty, can't wait to see how they develop
Bubbles_and_Fins said:
Such a beautiful pair!
Thank you guys! Ive had Tiger for a while and ive been looking for a koI female for the longest that I like the pattern, colors etc.. and finally found Rose a few weeks ago and she is just as stunning!

Tiger was so great, no aggression what so ever. I was so shocked

Gen120 said:
Wow, this is so awesome!! Would you be selling the babies? I love bettas and would love to have a koI one! Love the name Tiger, such a cute name!
Thank you! And yes I’ll definitely be selling the babies once they are old enough

Gen120

Guanchy said:
Thank you guys! Ive had Tiger for a while and ive been looking for a koI female for the longest that I like the pattern, colors etc.. and finally found Rose a few weeks ago and she is just as stunning!

Tiger was so great, no aggression what so ever. I was so shocked

Thank you! And yes I’ll definitely be selling the babies once they are old enough

Let me know when you do cause I might be interested in purchasing one. I'm not sure how you'd ship him but I'm sure we could figure it out lol.

Guanchy

Gen120 said:
Let me know when you do cause I might be interested in purchasing one. I'm not sure how you'd ship him but I'm sure we could figure it out lol.
Haha sounds like a plan!

WinterSoldier.

Depending on what the babies look like, and what the price is, I will probably be interested in buying one as well!

_xXDrowning_In_TanksXx_

I also may want a baby depending on price, shipping, apperance

Guanchy

Ill make sure to post here once the babies are available but that won't be until like 4 or 5 months from now lol

midna

OHOHO the babies are gonna be cute. I love plakat kois!!!!! congrats! where did you buy mom and dad?

Bryangar

oooo, I'm sure the babies are going to come out with really nice colors! One of the babies might have a home in my planted 5 gal!

Guanchy

midna said:
OHOHO the babies are gonna be cute. I love plakat kois!!!!! congrats! where did you buy mom and dad?
Plakat bettas are my favorites!

I got them both from Petco

bryangar said:
oooo, I'm sure the babies are going to come out with really nice colors! One of the babies might have a home in my planted 5 gal!
that would be awesome!

Dawn Michele

They are beautiful!!!!

aBettaNamedRoy

I’m also interested in potentially purchasing one;I’ll keep my eye out for new information on this thread! They’re going to be stunning!

Guanchy

It looks like we have tons of babies! Eggs are hatching as we speak

aquafrogg

Guanchy said:
It looks like we have tons of babies! Eggs are hatching as we speak
Yayy! Congradulations! If I have room for another tank when the babies are old enough I might snag one from you too!

CaptAnnDuchow

Omg I can't wait to see!!!!! I hope there is lots and lots cuz you have a growing demand going here!!

Rtessy

Ayyyy, congrats!!! They're absolutely gorgeous!
After raising my own little betta babies, live plants reaaaly help out the babies in the first few week with extra infusoria. Microworms or vinegar eels are great for the first few days before they can eat baby brine shrimp. Blackworms and white worms are really helpful after the first week, but not necessary.
I can't wait to see what they look like! And I think it's awesome you're breeding Petco bettas!

Guanchy

Ann Daniel said:
Omg I can't wait to see!!!!! I hope there is lots and lots cuz you have a growing demand going here!!
I'm just praying that these babies make it! Lol so many people want one. All my friends keep telling me to save them one but ill be more than happy to sell them to people here just because I know they will be in good hands

Rtessy said:
Ayyyy, congrats!!! They're absolutely gorgeous!
After raising my own little betta babies, live plants reaaaly help out the babies in the first few week with extra infusoria. Microworms or vinegar eels are great for the first few days before they can eat baby brine shrimp. Blackworms and white worms are really helpful after the first week, but not necessary.
I can't wait to see what they look like! And I think it's awesome you're breeding Petco bettas!
Glad you say this, I'm freaking out not wanting to starve these babies lol I have tons of plants in there (getting more tomorrow)

Rtessy

Guanchy said:
Glad you say this, I'm freaking out not wanting to starve these babies lol I have tons of plants in there (getting more tomorrow)
Don't worry about it too much! Keep calm, all in all it's pretty easy. They were (accidentally) the first fish I bred, and I had a great survival rate, until I had to leave for 4 days and the tank crashed or something :/

Guanchy

They will be free swimming today! super excited

CaptAnnDuchow

Guanchy said:
They will be free swimming today! super excited
Video!!!

Guanchy

Ann Daniel said:
ill try my best to record when I get home. I tried this morning but it was hard, the water is getting pretty dark from the tannins from the almond leaves lol and I didnt want to put a light directly to the nest to not bother Tiger too much

aquafrogg

Guanchy said:
ill try my best to record when I get home. I tried this morning but it was hard, the water is getting pretty dark from the tannins from the almond leaves lol and I didnt want to put a light directly to the nest to not bother Tiger too much
Good move. Can't wait to see them eventually!

CaptAnnDuchow

Guanchy said:
I have never bred any fishies and didn't think of that..whenever you are able would be cool

Guanchy

I made a video of the whole process since introduction to the eggs! I have to upload it to youtube to show you guys. It was definitely a great experience.

aquafrogg

Guanchy said:
I made a video of the whole process since introduction to the eggs! I have to upload it to youtube to show you guys. It was definitely a great experience.
Thank you! Will for sure watch after work

Guanchy

Tons of babies! AHHHHHHHHH I'm freaking out lol

aquafrogg

Guanchy said:
Too cute!!! Where’s dad? Was he moved out?

CaptAnnDuchow

Guanchy said:
Omg so cute..congrats grandpappy

Guanchy

Bubbles_and_Fins said:
Too cute!!! Where’s dad? Was he moved out?
Yes! He is back in his tank

Ohio Mark

How did I miss this?! This is great! Is it too late to go on the "order list"? So excited for you.

CaptAnnDuchow

How are they doing?

Guanchy

Ohio Mark said:
How did I miss this?! This is great! Is it too late to go on the "order list"? So excited for you.
not too late, have tons of babies! lol

Ann Daniel said:
How are they doing?
They are doing fine! its been a very busy week hatching baby brine shrimps for them.

The water in the tank keeps getting lower and dirtier so I need to do a water change soon, I'm just trying to figure out how to go about it to make sure I don't shock and kill all the babies with such a large water change!

CaptAnnDuchow

Guanchy said:
They are doing fine! its been a very busy week hatching baby brine shrimps for them.

The water in the tank keeps getting lower and dirtier so I need to do a water change soon, I'm just trying to figure out how to go about it to make sure I don't shock and kill all the babies with such a large water change!
Scary!! I panic doing changes on the tank with the ghost shrimp..I'm afraid I'm gunna suck them up lol. Good luck..I can't wait to see them!

Guanchy

Ann Daniel said:
Scary!! I panic doing changes on the tank with the ghost shrimp..I'm afraid I'm gunna suck them up lol. Good luck..I can't wait to see them!
I would post pictures but they are just as tiny as when they hatched! I can't believe bettas are so tiny as fry. They are tinier than my guppy fry!

CaptAnnDuchow

Guanchy said:
I would post pictures but they are just as tiny as when they hatched! I can't believe bettas are so tiny as fry. They are tinier than my guppy fry!
Oh wow that is tiny! I can be patient I guess lol. You have enough to worry about anyways.

Rtessy

You can use a turkey baster to remove the waste and use airline tubing to drip the water back in. Most containers can be balanced on the top of aquariums, so you can just let it drip back in passively.

Guanchy

Ann Daniel said:
Oh wow that is tiny! I can be patient I guess lol. You have enough to worry about anyways.
haha ill try to post photo this week

Rtessy said:
You can use a turkey baster to remove the waste and use airline tubing to drip the water back in. Most containers can be balanced on the top of aquariums, so you can just let it drip back in passively.
and you see this is where I'm stuck! the tank is in an area where its just between two walls so putting a bucket full of water on top of the tank scares me! there is nothing to hold it

ETNsilverstar

Guanchy said:
and you see this is where I'm stuck! the tank is in an area where its just between two walls so putting a bucket full of water on top of the tank scares me! there is nothing to hold it
What about having a small container on top of the tank and refill it from your bucket as it runs out? Then it's slow without having to worry about a falling bucket.

Rtessy

I don't think I could balance a bucket, but 1.5 gallon sterilite tubs can balance

Guanchy

I decided to leave a gallon of water inside the tank over night so the temperature matches the one in the tank and then pour it in slowly!

And here is the video! I finally was able to edit it

Vaughn

I might be interested in taking a female off your hands when they’re ready if you still have some by the time you sell to everyone else who wanted them

Guanchy

Vaughn said:
I might be interested in taking a female off your hands when they’re ready if you still have some by the time you sell to everyone else who wanted them
of course! ill make sure to post here when they are ready.

QUICK UPDATE: Tons of fry swimming around and loving Baby Brine Shrimp! I have noticed that they are growing and getting bigger but some of them are still as tiny as when they were born, I guess some eat more than others or I don't know if this has anything to do with males and females but we shall see as the mature. I know I have a long way to go to see their colors coming out but I can't wait! lol

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom