Gypsy’s 40 Gallon Breeder. Ugh.

Gypsy13

A6F33ABC-7D55-4B70-8290-C45C4F89605C.jpeg I’ve got this 40L I had planned on using. Got it from my LFS. Holds water fine. But when I was cleaning it, I noticed two chips. (I actually thought it cracked one evening but it wasn’t the aquarium). I need a bigger setup for my guppies, minnows, danio, and corydoras. I’m going to get a 75 as soon as I can. But it may be a while.
So. Thoughts on this glass please. Thank you guys!

Attachments

• 7E5D3266-CBCE-4D11-A15F-1C5D8D05C04B.jpeg
    7E5D3266-CBCE-4D11-A15F-1C5D8D05C04B.jpeg
    199.8 KB · Views: 149
  • 86CD39DA-0D6D-45C2-B64F-5A1A6DCFB301.jpeg
    86CD39DA-0D6D-45C2-B64F-5A1A6DCFB301.jpeg
    65.6 KB · Views: 165
  • 051C52FF-E8BB-44C3-B0B1-DF3A2B997F1B.jpeg
    051C52FF-E8BB-44C3-B0B1-DF3A2B997F1B.jpeg
    59.2 KB · Views: 142
75g Discus Tank
Glass seems fine.

I wouldn't put it near anything of high value or anything or anything destroyable by water though.
That's just in case.

Also, try to put a towel or sponge on the outside of the tank near the area so if it does break, the water won't flood the area as much.

Gypsy13
Glass seems fine.

I wouldn't put it near anything of high value or anything or anything destroyable by water though.
That's just in case.

Also, try to put a towel or sponge on the outside of the tank near the area so if it does break, the water won't flood the area as much.

Thank you.
It’ll be behind my couch. I can always get another couch. I am female after all. Any excuse to redecorate!
Seriously though, thank you. I’ve got to get something up and going ASAP. I’ve had the 75 sponge filter hanging out in the 29 gallon for over a month now. This will put the fish closer to me.
Awesome! I can be propped up on the couch with a long riding crop to keep “helpful” hands away!

Gypsy13
Ok. 40L on hold. Going to replace glass.
Bought the aqueon 40 breeder 1$/gal sale.
Starting with bdbs. Have sponge filter in my 29.
Will be getting a canister filter, adjustable heater, plants plants plants.
Oh and a new piece of driftwood. Want a piece that looks like a bridge across the tank. This will be in the center of the room.
Going to put sliding glass on top. Any thoughts?

Oh! When I’m ready for fish, move the male or female guppies to the 40? Need no more bbs.

Gypsy13
Ok, the ups and downs are over! I’ve been wanting a 40 Long and I’m going to use it! There are fine cracks forming in the chips places and at least one seam is bubbly and cloudy. So I’m starting at some point today. Will take progress pics! It’s going to take a while cause I’m really sick. But, one step at a time right? Wish me luck my frames are as good as they feel!

Hunter1
I would cover the cracks with aquarium grade silicon.

Might not be necessary but I think structurally it’s sound, but just insurance.

Gypsy13
I would cover the cracks with aquarium grade silicon.

Might not be necessary but I think structurally it’s sound, but just insurance.

I really want to. But my vet looked into the worst chip and there are little crack lines starting to form.
It does hold water. The cracks seem to be halfway. Hmmm... I mean, if it fails, it’ll most likely be after I’m gone. Hmmm...
Why do you do this to me? You know me too well! I want to fill and go!
:smug:

Ok. New plan. Again. Maybe. Using 40L as is. With lots of hope!

Gypsy13

18976EC2-A6F8-48CE-A19F-6B7789C2A689.jpeg Ok. A neighbor came over and was picking at the big chip. Hunter1 do you still think caulk or should I go with epoxy? Anybody else? I’m also going to make sliding glass lids for this one. The versa tops are just not for someone with neuropathy. Freaks my corys out when I drop the lid.

Attachments

• F902333B-BB3B-4742-B1D8-81E0C0DF9A05.jpeg
    F902333B-BB3B-4742-B1D8-81E0C0DF9A05.jpeg
    129.5 KB · Views: 87
Jenoli42
Maybe i'm totally too paranoid, mate, but those cracks and chips freak me out. I wouldn't use it to be honest... Hunter, do you think silica caulk will hold this? i'm thinking more epoxy with reef safe glue... but i'm not sure either will help if it fails...

sorry, I know that's not what you wanted to hear and you can feel free to ignore me.

Hunter1
I agree.

I’ve used silicon for seams, and a cracked lid.

For this I would go with an aquarium safe epoxy product. Maybe spread silicon over the crack on the inside of the tank to help seal if you already have aquarium safe silicon but the epoxy should give you the strength you need.

Gypsy13
Maybe i'm totally too paranoid, mate, but those cracks and chips freak me out. I wouldn't use it to be honest... Hunter, do you think silica caulk will hold this? i'm thinking more epoxy with reef safe glue... but i'm not sure either will help if it fails...

sorry, I know that's not what you wanted to hear and you can feel free to ignore me.

Ignore you? Never!
I’m freaking out too. BUT. I’ll have a plastic tub under the tank plus clean buckets so if the worst happens, I’ll be ready. As long as it happens when I’m home and not at the docs. We all need some spice in our lives right?

I agree.

I’ve used silicon for seams, and a cracked lid.

For this I would go with an aquarium safe epoxy product. Maybe spread silicon over the crack on the inside of the tank to help seal if you already have aquarium safe silicon but the epoxy should give you the strength you need.

I’m running with it then! Maybe. I am. By golly if I have to replace the glass I’ll do it after it fails.

Jenoli42
that's so brave!

Gypsy13
Gypsy13
Well. Here we go! I’ve used the epoxy. I’m rinsing sand tomorrow. Hoped to have that done today. Heavy sigh. I’m also going to be adding strips of glass on the outside. Heard that on this forum. Give me more peace of mind if nothing else. I will get pics of my epoxy job tomorrow. Wish me luck? Please?

Hunter1
Good luck!

I wouldn’t care what it looks like as long as it holds water!

Gypsy13
Good luck!

I wouldn’t care what it looks like as long as it holds water!

I can’t really care can I? I’ll never know anyway. Lol. Be thinking bout me. Going to fill it up again just to make sure.

Gypsy13

AEB61C2B-9865-4D8D-AFD8-15B3D111F059.jpeg So here is my epoxy job on the biggest chip. Feels like I should put another coat on.
Next you’ll see I went with the white National Geographic “sand”. People say you don’t have to wash it. I rinsed it like I did the pool filter sand. Still have floating stuff. Going to use the shrimp net to try to get it out. Going to put root tabs in. Will add more water then plants. I’ll at least get the heater in before tomorrow. I hope.
When I tried to rinse my super soft play sand, I lost over half. Bummed.
Forgot pics.

I have root tabs in place. Added three more gallons. Going to feed goldies then add another three. Have bb snails in plant qt. Hopefully maybe I’ll get enough water for a heater by late tonight. Maybe. I’m worthless.

Attachments

• 30763F3F-0D17-469C-B0B8-33C0670E8A68.jpeg
    30763F3F-0D17-469C-B0B8-33C0670E8A68.jpeg
    48.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 5767F6F4-9859-404C-B4BD-650AE2EABD9B.jpeg
    5767F6F4-9859-404C-B4BD-650AE2EABD9B.jpeg
    99.9 KB · Views: 90
Gypsy13
Have heater in about six inches water now. Planted corkscrew Vals. Look pitiful but roots seem healthy. Put one piece of wisteria in. Have more filling to do tonight. Body willing. Hoping water level high enough to put sponge filter in. BTW, dealing with sand for the first time, is it really supposed to get everywhere? Feel like I’ve been to the beach. Pics tomorrow!

7D674330-24FB-4561-AF90-962028A162F5.png Oh! This is my driftwood. On its way!

Gypsy13
Looks kool!

I can’t wait to feel it!

I bought the driftwood from cgresko1978 on eBay. I explained it was exactly like my vision for driftwood but I couldn’t afford it. I asked if he had something similar but cheaper. He worked with me and the price was something I could do. The wood is pressure washed with water then hand sanded. I can’t wait to get my boiling water ready! I asked if I could tell y’all about it and he said yes. And he’s always happy to negotiate.

Gypsy13
My water level is officially above the worst chip. So far so good. Plants have greened up. Will be adding enough water to place filter today.

Gypsy13
I now have fifteen male guppies in my forty long. Not sure about my pro heater. Have to catch a few more boys tonight. Stinky Pinky is NOT happy. Wants his girl. Almost makes me want to put him back. Almost.
I don’t know what to do with my giant danio. Can’t put him with the boys cause he keeps trying to eat them. Wanted to leave my minnows with the girls in the twenty nine but Slick will be able to eat them soon.
I can’t wait to move my albino corys. Waiting for driftwood and going to try to find a sword and maybe some dwarf sag.

Gypsy13
Beautiful driftwood, Gypsy!

Thank you Goldiemom. It sounds perfect. Now if it can just be perfect, I’ll be happy.

Officially have all adult male guppies in forty long. The ph is 7.6. The ph in my twenty nine is always 6.8. I’ve got Seachem Matrix coming in the mail in case changing to sand doesn’t fix it. Of course the bioload will be cut way way down. I’m trying to fins a good home for Slick. He needs company but neither aquarium will work. Never send hubby to buy a fish again. My twenty nine will have 4-5 female guppies, 5 gold WCMM, and possibly a snail. The forty long will have the male guppies, six albino corys, six longfin leopard danios. And both tanks have at least one snail. Itty bitty.

The matrix is to bring down the nitrates in the twenty nine.

Gypsy13

44C37435-1DA8-4F71-9E37-381980E70692.jpeg
AF8FF696-D2A7-460D-933A-48493A5F6D1A.jpeg
26A1C937-FCFF-4900-88AD-B483A16898F2.jpeg Have all fish in 40 long. 2 sponge filter. Have aqua clear 70 but won’t fit on end. Don’t want on front or back.
Got some plants will eventually attach to driftwood assuming gets boiled in my lifetime.
Want to thank J.Ho for making these adorable rafts! I tied my anubias and these other things to the rafts until driftwood ready. Too cute!

ValerieAdams
View attachment 456698 View attachment 456699 View attachment 456700 Have all fish in 40 long. 2 sponge filter. Have aqua clear 70 but won’t fit on end. Don’t want on front or back.
Got some plants will eventually attach to driftwood assuming gets boiled in my lifetime.
Want to thank J.Ho for making these adorable rafts! I tied my anubias and these other things to the rafts until driftwood ready. Too cute!
I love those!

Gypsy13
I love those!

Me too. He even included notches to make it easier to tie things to. And you can turn them any way you want. I want some nice moss to put on one or three. I forget the price but was more than reasonable for something so useful!

ValerieAdams
Me too. He even included notches to make it easier to tie things to. And you can turn them any way you want. I want some nice moss to put on one or three. I forget the price but was more than reasonable for something so useful!
I love how your anubias looks on it! You could create a whole wall of plants with those. Moss would be really cool too!

Goldiemom
I love them! Love the sand too.

Gypsy13
I love them! Love the sand too.

National Geographic sand. With a little crayola blue play sand for kicks. The play sand will either be siphoned out or find its way to the bottom. But it’s so soft. The corys don’t seem to care for it. They like the nat geo. I like it cause I can use my gravel vac. I feel better knowing I can deep clean my substrate. Whew. Out of air.

Ok. Need opinions. HOB won’t fit on end of aquarium. Why is the trim wider there?
Anyway, anyone see a problem with cutting the trim so it will fit? It’s either that or the dreaded canister. Tell me what y’all think.

david1978
I believe its wider on the ends to make up for slighly different hood widths. I see no issue trimming it. If you have a course file that might do the nicest job.

Gypsy13
I believe its wider on the ends to make up for slighly different hood widths. I see no issue trimming it. If you have a course file that might do the nicest job.

You know me. I’m pulling out the Dremel. I’ve got the water lowered so I can put some plastic underneath to catch all possible bits of plastic. Now, if I can do this without dropping my dremel into the water, we’ll all be ok. Thank you!

sipec
Following

J.Ho
Man that looks amazing. I am trying to figure out how to re-home some of my little aqua dudes so I can have a nice tank again...

Gypsy13
Man that looks amazing. I am trying to figure out how to re-home some of my little aqua dudes so I can have a nice tank again...

Thank you for coming home. I know how difficult it must’ve been. Get me out in nature, I don’t want to leave either!

Don’t the little shelves look cute? Awesome job!

JLeeM
I did not know that you were setting up a 40! Now I can watch yours grow like you have mine.

Gypsy13
I did not know that you were setting up a 40! Now I can watch yours grow like you have mine.

Yes. I’ve got a 20 long coming. The 29 is just too tall for me to deal with anymore. I love the look of long tanks even if I can’t see them now. Right now all the guppies are together again. A friend of my hubby’s said he’d take the 29 and some fish. So I’ve been running an extra sponge filter. Been over a month. No sign. Hate to take them to LFS but they multiply too fast!

JLeeM
Yes. I’ve got a 20 long coming. The 29 is just too tall for me to deal with anymore. I love the look of long tanks even if I can’t see them now. Right now all the guppies are together again. A friend of my hubby’s said he’d take the 29 and some fish. So I’ve been running an extra sponge filter. Been over a month. No sign. Hate to take them to LFS but they multiply too fast!
I've been thinking about setting up a small guppy breeding tank, as you know. Reading stuff like this makes me second guess though.

Gypsy13
I've been thinking about setting up a small guppy breeding tank, as you know. Reading stuff like this makes me second guess though.

Well if you do, I’ll send you 30-50 depending on how long you take to decide. This week 30. Next week 50. Easy.

JLeeM
Well if you do, I’ll send you 30-50 depending on how long you take to decide. This week 30. Next week 50. Easy.
Lol! If I decide to do it, I was thinking of starting with like 3-5.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
PonzLL
Replies
Views
kanzekatores
Replies
Views
jaydivingboard
Replies
Views