The Fishkeeper's Warchest

kb9plc

A curious, but hopefully helpful, question...

What list of items are always in your stock to help with tank maintenance, fish health, preventative items, emergency items, etc etc etc...
Essentially if someone took an inventory of your aquarium(s?) cabinet, what would they find?

midnamoondog

brodylane1122

5 and 2.5 gallon bucket, net, Prime, food, siphon, API master test kit, towel, and extra filter (well I did have one...but they are all used up now)

Lucy

Oh man....
Nets, towels, Prime and Stress Coat, food, battery operated air pumps, airline hoses, airline hose suction cups, sponges, various meds, 3 turkey basters, plastic cups, filters, heaters, critter keepers, 2.5 and 5 gallon tanks, 3 siphons, a python, terra cotta pots and plates, test kit, towels, silk and plastic plants, caves, drift wood (real and fake), knee high panty hose, home made filter baffle, eye droppers, magnifying glass, aquarium sand, aquarium gravel, pea gravel, 2 breeder boxes, baby brine shrimp hatchery, syringes.....

That's off the top of my head. lol

chevyguy8893

I have Prime, a master test kit, plant ferts, food, 5 gallon bucket, 1 gallon container, gravel vacuum, 25' drinking water hose, drip acclimation hose, 2.5 gallon container for acclimation, logs of both tanks, extra bulbs, backup heater (may be stuck on, but better than one that doesn't work), and a bunch of poly fil. The stock is bound to change since I just started out not too long ago .

plecodragon

Let's see- There is lots more in my fish closet but these are the most important ones.
10+ nets (good deal)
2-3 net breeders
2-3 plastic net breeders
3 light fixtures
20+ light bulbs both cfl and florescent
2-4 jugs of water conditioner
filter media of all kinds
1-2 extra filters
rubber gloves
siphon
eye droppers
wood scewers
medicines of all kinds (don't use and most are probably dead)
fish foods (pail of pellets, algae wafers, flakes....)
3 extra heaters.
driftwood
many airstones and air pumps,air lines (one battery)
plant food
shrimp food and chemicals
gravel
pails and basins
extra tanks(not really in the closet)

All of the above are spare at the moment.
I think sometimes that I have as much as some stores, but if something breaks I have it so no panic sets in. Had a filter conk last night and replaced it at midnight-fish didn't even notice that it changed.
Also with 12 tanks anything can happen.

Tigress Hill

I am not even going to list mine... I'll be here all night LOL

A Sneaky Fatman

Prime, Stress Coat, several 5 gallon buckets with towels and drip trays for maintenance, TONS of air tubing and accessories, extra 10 gallon setup, extra 5 gallon setup, different size nets from bredding nets to a 12" one, three different siphons, one internal filter, TONS of filter floss, and some fishing line to secure plants with.

Treefork

Essentially everything listed above and a pile of stuff I "might" use someday, maybe, probably not. lol

ryanr

Hmmm, let's see (in no particular order):
FW- 4 buckets, net, siphon, API Freshwater master, Sera Freshwater Master, Iron Test Kit, , ph Up/Down [never used], Flourish Comp Liquid, Flourish Root tabs, Flourish Nitrogen, Flourish Potassium, Flourish Excel, Flourish Phosphorous, Flourish Iron, Prime, Hardness Buffers, garlic guard, syringes

SW - 2 Buckets, siphon, RO/DI unit, RO/DI container, Saltwater Mixing Container, Salt Mix, Mixing Pump, Heater, API Saltwater Master, API Reef Master, Red Sea NO3/PO4 test, Calcium test, Magnesium Test, refractometer, egg-crate, Red Sea Supplements Alk/Ca/Mg, Red Sea NO3/PO4-X

Spare Parts - air line, filter tubing, impellers, impeller shaft, 2 spare canister filters, filter media, spare test tubes, spare air pump, bubble counter, check valves, t-pieces, light tubes, spare spray bars, intake strainers, suction cups, air line diffusers, heaters, HOB filter, Sugar, Yeast, CO2 bottles, auto-fish feeder, powerhead, activated carbon, o-ring for canister, pipe cleaning kit

And what about food?
NLS Thera + 1mm, NLS 2mm, Tetra Colour, Tetra Flakes (not sure which), Tetra Algae Pellets, Sera Algae Pellets with Spirulina, HikarI Marina S pellets, Reef Roids

In the freezer:
HikarI Mysis Shrimp, Wholefish/Silversides, Bloodworms, Beefheart, Mussels, Prawns, Algae Mix, Another frozen mix I can't remember name

Ugghhh..... I think that's everything in my arsenal. I wonder where all my money goes

kb9plc

Omg this is great. There are things listed in here I might not have thought of! Anddddd a few that I'm not sure what they are for. Which is a great opportunity for learning!

Yeast? Educate me on that one of you don't mind...

Battery op air pump: that's great. Are there other bat op items? If someone looks at my power lines funny I loose power for a day at a crack lol

Tigress Hill said:
I am not even going to list mine... I'll be here all night LOL
Awwwww

Hey ryanr... was that 'off the top of your head' like Lucy? I'm impressed lol!!

ryanr

Sugar and Yeast are for DIY CO2

And yep, that list is off the top of my head (I'm at work)

I forgot to add Hanna Phosphate checker, algae scraper, long tongs, spare hose clamps, spare thermometers, double adaptors for power, flow restrictors for drip acclimation, freeze dried krill, fish bags....

EDIT: Did I mention measuring spoons and cups as well ?

saqib

aylad

Equipment:

turkey baster
algae scraper
tongs
fluval ceramic bio-ring things (plant weights, filter media, and more!)
fishing line
spare filters (second-hand, who has money for new unused filters?)
filter media
fluval prefilter sponge
eyedropper
airline
airpumps
pump for waterchange + hose
buckets
breeder box
plastic mesh

Chemicals

Prime
Tetra AquaSafe (redundant, I know... will probably stop using)
API Freshwater master kit
PraziPro (safe, effective, good for preventative treatments)
Flourish Comprehensive
Flourish Excel

kinezumi89

I pretty much keep the same equipment as what has been listed (as do most people, as there is quite a bit of similarity from post to post ) but for the most part I don't like to keep medicine on hand, purposefully. Firstly, it does have an expiration date, so what if your fish are healthy and then you never use it? Secondly, if you don't check the expiration date, you may use expired medicine. And thirdly, if there is medicine on hand, we may be tempted to jump and use it without really thinking the issue through. Then we may treat a condition that could be cured without medicine (ich or finrot for example) or we may treat with the wrong medicine and do more harm than good. Just my two cents though.

midnamoondog

...and who ever thought keeping fish included a tank, water and fish?

Magoo

I agree with KinezumI although I do have a few different medicines to hand from the early days from panicking but as experience has taught me they rarely need to be used only when there is no other solution. I will keep hold of them though just incase or until they expire

kb9plc

aylad said:
PraziPro (safe, effective, good for preventative treatments)
This is for preventing parasites, yes? I don't think I've seen anyone else mention this. How do you include it in your regieme? And do you really think it works.... I know that once a fish gets an internal parasite, its a bear to figure out which and what to do about it.

kinezumi89 said:
...for the most part I don't like to keep medicine on hand, purposefully. ...... Then we may treat a condition that could be cured without medicine (ich or finrot for example) or we may treat with the wrong medicine and do more harm than good.
From my (many moons ago) past experience, I don't think I've personally had to deal with anything other than ich or finrot. Thou, at that time, everyone I knew including the LFS guy treated both with meds. What are the natural ways to go about it?

Thre's also a couple things I saw at the LFS which were recommended to me by said LFS (I know, not very reputable), that I don't see in anyone's list...
Crystal Clear Drops
Tetra Easy Balance +

Thou I personally can't figure out why to have these. Water changes would eliminate the need for either, and the ph part of TEB is just playing with fire, isn't it?

I also see a lot of 'tongs' and 'turkey basters'....
This is something I hadn't thought of. What handy uses do these have?

kinezumi89

1. That's why you use a broad-spectrum dewormer, that gets a variety of types.
2. I don't have either of those products, nor have I every used them.
3. Some people use tongs for planting, though I just use my fingers. A turkey baster is a great tool to have, I use it every day. Siphoning out waste and uneaten food from small tanks, taking up water to mix things with or for testing, etc.

oscarsbud

Tongs are good for moving things around and pulling out plants without getting wet. And the turkey baster is the betta equivalent of a pooper scooper. Makes it real easy to clean up after the little guys. I'm sure it has other uses. You will find a lot of kitchen utensils doing double duty in the fish tank. I have a barbecue set of tongs, spatula and fork that I use to reach thing in the bottom of the tank - for fish use only, not used on the grill .

Ninja'd

aylad

kb9plc said:
This is for preventing parasites, yes? I don't think I've seen anyone else mention this. How do you include it in your regieme? And do you really think it works.... I know that once a fish gets an internal parasite, its a bear to figure out which and what to do about it.
PraziPro is safe to use even if you're not 100% sure that it's necessary. It attacks several types of parasites, doesn't hurt snails (or, supposedly, shrimp... although I haven't tested this), and doesn't kill plants or fish (although, tbh, my platies don't like it much -- but I've even treated with fry in the tank without losing any). It doesn't harm the tank's cycle, either.

I use PraziPro whenever I add something from an outside source to my tank or if I suspect a parasitic infection. It's part of my QT procedures now.

From my (many moons ago) past experience, I don't think I've personally had to deal with anything other than ich or finrot. Thou, at that time, everyone I knew including the LFS guy treated both with meds. What are the natural ways to go about it?
Ich: raise the temperature to the mid-80's and do frequent gravel vac/water changes. No meds needed.

Finrot: do frequent water changes to keep the water pristine, feed garlic-enriched food (the more protein the better), and (optionally) use slime-coat-enhancing products. Although good nutrition and perfect water make the last part unnecessary.

There's also a couple things I saw at the LFS which were recommended to me by said LFS (I know, not very reputable), that I don't see in anyone's list...
Crystal Clear Drops
Tetra Easy Balance +

Thou I personally can't figure out why to have these. Water changes would eliminate the need for either, and the ph part of TEB is just playing with fire, isn't it?
Water clarifiers = bad news. They are toxic and unnecessary. If you need clearer water, what you REALLY need is to visit FishLore and find out what's making your water cloudy or whatever.

EDIT: Oh, and although I haven't used TEB+, I agree with your assessment (in theory). No pH-altering chemical needs to go into your tanks, EVER. If you really have a legitimate need for altering your pH, there are natural ways to do that (like crushed coral to raise pH, peat moss to lower it). Used CAREFULLY, these natural materials keep pH more stable than the chemicals can be trusted to do, and stability is much more important than the actual pH value.

I also see a lot of 'tongs' and 'turkey basters'....
This is something I hadn't thought of. What handy uses do these have?
This will vary by person, but I use my turkey baster as:
1. a long probe to nudge things around in the tank
2. a fry catcher that can pick up fry and move them to a breeder box
3. a way of vacuuming a breeder box or removing debris or floating residue from the tank
4. in my tank with lots of floating plants, I stick the turkey baster underneath the water and blow a stream of bubbles. This clears the surface of the water so I can drop in food, and the fish have learned that when I do that, they are about to get fed. ;D
5. in the floating-plant tank, it's a relatively easy way to get water to prime my HOB filters without pouring duckweed, etc, into the filter.

Tongs I mostly use to move decorations and plants around.

LyndaB

kb9plc said:
What list of items are always in your stock to help with tank maintenance, fish health, preventative items, emergency items, etc etc etc...
Extra equipment, i.e., thermometers, heaters, filter biomedia, nets

Food stuff, i.e., Kensfish food, other foods, measuring cups, measuring spoons

Chemicals/Meds, i.e., Garlic Guard, Vita Chem, Prime, Kordon Rid Ich Plus (the one and only miracle med), Aquarium Salt (rarely used)

AmazonPassion

Hmmmm...

Extra Heaters (Amazon deal )
Food
Extra Air Pump
Air line hose
Fish Nets
Test Kit
Excel bottles
Ferts
Vita chem
Prime
Tetra Aqua Safe
Extra Airstones
Sewing Thread
Bucket

I think that is it from the top of my head.

aylad

LyndaB said:
Extra equipment, i.e., thermometers, heaters, filter biomedia, nets

Food stuff, i.e., Kensfish food, other foods, measuring cups, measuring spoons

Chemicals/Meds, i.e., Garlic Guard, Vita Chem, Prime, Kordon Rid Ich Plus (the one and only miracle med), Aquarium Salt (rarely used)
LyndaB, seeing an experienced FishLorean call something a "miracle med" is rare as hens' teeth. ;D You've got me intrigued. What can you tell us about it?

jwhorner6

Extra heater
many types of food
nets
water test kits
prime
vita chem
airline
airstones
flourish excel
extra flourish comprehensive
flourish phosphorous
aquarium salt (don't use anymore but keep on hand)
mag float scrubber
replacement filter pads and media
filter carbon (only if i'd ever need it for something)

all other stuff (buckets, water changes etc. are kept in my garage)

Tigress Hill

This thread should be stickied It is very helpful in determining what new fish keepers should keep in their cabinets

kb9plc

LyndaB said:
Kordon Rid Ich Plus (the one and only miracle med)
I second the intruige! *insert annoying journalist with abnormally large microphone being pointed your direction* Inquiring minds wanna know, why do you consider this a miracle med for Ich? And should it be done before trying the temp up and vac natural remedy? Any cons to using it?

Tigress Hill said:
This thread should be stickied It is very helpful in determining what new fish keepers should keep in their cabinets
Yay! That would be great if my random question of the day helped others out down the road Was just trying to get a hold on where my personal cabinet contents stood on the fishkeeper's scale. lol

Eienna

kb9plc said:
I second the intruige! *insert annoying journalist with abnormally large microphone being pointed your direction* Inquiring minds wanna know, why do you consider this a miracle med for Ich? And should it be done before trying the temp up and vac natural remedy? Any cons to using it?
Yes, there is a con. Main thing is that it stains ANYTHING plastic or vinyl that's light-colored.

lucky strike 21

I would go with the natural method of heat and water changes I bought ich medicine some of my fish died and it stained my tank decorations and my tank sides

JRC3

I premix my brackish water but I also kinda Premix my freshwater too. I do it to let the water kinda gas-off but mostly I have heaters in my vessels so I just have to pump the water directly and not worry about adjusting temp at WC. With that said, I still always use dechlorinater when I fill my vessels just in case I had to do an emergency water change before the chlorine dissipated naturally.

Med wise I have a ridiculous amount though I never need it (Knock on wood)...With the exception of preventative treating new arrival puffers for IPs.

The most important thing you can have in your "war chest" is a QT tank for new arrivals. These fish come from a very bad place and need to be kept away from your healthy fish.

And filter parts. You should have at least 1 of everything on hand...Especially canister filter parts.

Top Bottom