Gourami health advice

Sedna

I'm unable to figure out if my Blue Gourami is really old and no longer thriving or if there is something else I can do for her to help her heal.
A few weeks ago I had fin rot break out in my tank, I treated for it with Kanaplex, which did absolutely nothing. So I did a large water change, let activated carbon sit in the filter for awhile then used melafix and pimafix which worked wonders in my tank for the fin rot. However my female gourami has had an ulcer like sore on the side of her face, and has been less than energetic in the tank. She does a rocking motion sometimes where she just rocks back and forth... None of my other fish are having any issues however.. She seemed like she was healing up, but then it turned red on her face again. I do not know how old she is as she came with the tank.
My pH is 8.5
I can't get a consistent read on my Nitrates or Nitrites they always read high on both my strips and master kit... I've tried everything suggested and can't seem to get them lower. I've just put in ceramic rings and a 2nd filter to try to help, and am trying to find where I can buy seachem matrix to help on that end. Has anyone experienced this with a gourami? Or is she declining in health because she's old?

bcsay720

How old is she? Do you have an ammonia reading?
Clean water also works wonders. Increased water changes (especially if you're done with med treatments) at 25% every day or 50% every other day should help. I would also consider feeding every other day for a few weeks to cut down on waste and/or keeping the lights out. This works better in a QT tank as opposed to a community tank, in case the reduced feeding causes the gourami to get grumpy and lash out at her tank mates.

Upvote 0

Sedna

How old is she? Do you have an ammonia reading?
Clean water also works wonders. Increased water changes (especially if you're done with med treatments) at 25% every day or 50% every other day should help. I would also consider feeding every other day for a few weeks to cut down on waste and/or keeping the lights out. This works better in a QT tank as opposed to a community tank, in case the reduced feeding causes the gourami to get grumpy and lash out at her tank mates.
I wish I knew how old she was. When I bought the tank I was only told the ages of the tetras in it, but not for the angels, gourami, pleco, or goldfish. I've removed the pleco and surrendered it as it was too large and aggressive towards the others. I've also removed the goldfish out to a 90 gal pond with other goldies. I use R.O. for my water changes, so I have to buy jugged water for each change.. I can move her to my QT, I hadn't done so because the tank wasn't free up until a few days ago (Pleco..) and she had looked better. But it seems it's coming and going in waves?

Upvote 0

bcsay720

Could also be stress related. You could also do small amounts of salt in the QT tank and consider adding tannins to reduce extra stress, too.

Upvote 0

Sedna

Could also be stress related. You could also do small amounts of salt in the QT tank and consider adding tannins to reduce extra stress, too.
I just bought aquarium salt actually! I'll have to give it a try. Thank you. I wasn't sure if it would work for her, I've heard of salt baths for golds.

Upvote 0

bcsay720

I recently used salt baths for my betta. Worked great for healing, but he's a tail biter, so progress was quickly gone. However, he seems happy with just constant trace amount of salts in his tank.

With labyrinth organ fish, it's good to air on the side of caution with salts, so definitely do heavy research before doing a salt bath with your gourami. Some people have mixed feelings about aquarium salt, but bacteria can barely stand even a small amount of salt, so if it's bacterial, the salt should clear it up within a few days or a week.

Upvote 0

Sedna

I recently used salt baths for my betta. Worked great for healing, but he's a tail biter, so progress was quickly gone. However, he seems happy with just constant trace amount of salts in his tank.

With labyrinth organ fish, it's good to air on the side of caution with salts, so definitely do heavy research before doing a salt bath with your gourami. Some people have mixed feelings about aquarium salt, but bacteria can barely stand even a small amount of salt, so if it's bacterial, the salt should clear it up within a few days or a week.
Oh boy. See my LFS told me that a UV sterilizer would kill all the nitrates, I popped it in and then googled it and nope, they were very wrong.. Which is why I am interested in the matrix, due to an article on here from multiple peoples opinions on it. I'm a bit worried about using the salt with her because I don't know her age, or how sick she honestly is. One day she acts fairly normal and the next she hovers in the corner rocking. They also told me at the store that if a fish isn't getting better, to just euthanize. Which is making me think about not going back in... I don't get very good advice from them it seems.

Upvote 0

bcsay720

My rules for fish and euthanizing are:

1. Are they eating?
2. Are they active?
and, if you have a fish with a distinct personality that's known to bond with their owner
3. Are they still interacting with you like normal?

If the answer to all three of those is yes, then don't do euthanize. If the answer is no to both 1 and 3, then the fish has lost quality of life, and euthanization should be considered.

Upvote 0

Sedna

My rules for fish and euthanizing are:

1. Are they eating?
2. Are they active?
and, if you have a fish with a distinct personality that's known to bond with their owner
3. Are they still interacting with you like normal?

If the answer to all three of those is yes, then don't do euthanize. If the answer is no to both 1 and 3, then the fish has lost quality of life, and euthanization should be considered.
That's a really good rule..
She's still been eating, not particularly going after the food like the others (I feed frozen cubes so the others kind of go crazy lol) but if it floats close enough she'll eat some. She's not a particularly social fish with me, so I can't really discern if that aspect of her has shifted. She's less active but will swim here and there. So I think I'll go off of 1 & 2 and say she's probably not ready to pass yet. Thank you that was very helpful.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
KayBee3
Replies
Views
glassescat
Replies
Views
FinalFins
Replies