Feisty Fish This Morning

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by jennalynnj, Jun 26, 2019.

1. jennalynnj

jennalynnjValued MemberMember

I don't know if it is fight club this morning, if they are feeling playful, or maybe it is some thing else but MAN all 5 tetras are feisty today. They keep going back to their own territories, resting a bit and then they all just start going again. I have seen two tetras get **** and thwap each other around, but not really all 5 at once. I tried to attach video but it says it is not supported. Honeslty some of the time it is like fighting but some they are rubbing on each other... maybe they are just extra playful today

2. AngryRainbow

AngryRainbowValued MemberMember

Is it a mix of males and females? They may be spawning. Watch closely and you may see eggs being released when they're going at each other. I was able to with my black neons

3. OP
    OP
    jennalynnj

Really? I honestly have never tried to determine sex! I thought tetras didnt breed in captivity for some reason..

4. AngryRainbow

My black neons spawned often, but I'd always laugh because as soon as I saw eggs, every other neon in the group would swarm in and eat them. Seems pretty counterproductive as a species, but I didn't mind since I wasn't looking to breed them.

5. OP
    OP
    jennalynnj

Shows what I know when they basically only are bred in caprivity lol. I can't really see a difference in their dorsal or analfins, but I am new to this so maybe...it does seem like certain fish are getting chased.. but that could be a pecking order type thing I suppose.

I don't know if any of these are clear enough pictures.. 20190626_084353.jpg20190626_084409.jpg20190626_084428.jpg20190626_084422.jpg20190626_084435.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2019
  6. AngryRainbow

Its hard for me to tell. But with skirt tetras, the females are a bit bigger than the males, and the males have slightly longer fins. I had hifin skirts so it was more drastic, not sure if its as noticable in the regular skirt tetras.

They may also just be feisty and extra nippy today, not spawning.

7. OP
    OP
    jennalynnj

Yeah. The little one is getting chased the most so I think it is the latter. I got excited for a minute...even though I really have no room to move the adults for longer than 2 days AND no room for the fry once they grow lol... but I was still excited

8. Victoria99

Victoria99Valued MemberMember

I'm new to this too, so I could be wrong, but with my neons, it looks like aggression to me. They get cranky every morning before I turn the light on. I've pretty much determined that they're the same as me- not morning people! In this case, they are not morning fish! Once I turn the light on, they're fine though. Kinda funny

9. OP
    OP
    jennalynnj

My skirt tetras are oppsosite. They are all calm and serene, floating everywhere and getting along until I turn the light on. I have tried adding floating plants for shade because they don't seem to like the light, so they all go to their territory and fight over spots sometimes, but usually it is just a 2 fish argument not all 5 "siblings" in a tiff.

Maybe a dumb question but do different species get "excited" when another species is breeding?... one of my shrimp molted yesterday... maybe she is sending out pheromones and the whole tank is going nutso?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2019