Discus Gang Updates

BarbaraLocke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi All, I didn’t want to hijack anyone else’s thread, and since Outcast is gone, I didn’t want to continue that thread - so I figured this might be a good one for all of us to use for just general updates, or to even cross-post (I confess it’s sometimes hard for me to keep up with all that’s going on in all the different threads) :angelic:

Anyway, here’s a better video of my 7 in the 75g. Arlo has grown a lot, and it appears he and the PB’s are working out who’s gonna be the boss! They’re always at the front of the pack, and almost seem to be racing each other I’d also like to get your opinion on the little blue Discus I got from iFish. It’s supposed to be a Cobalt, but so was Arlo - who was that size when I got him, and while Arlo was very dark because of stress, I could still see the typical Cobalt patterning, and within a few days he started to color up. This new one has always been a very light blue with only faint patterning visible - sometimes. Could it be a Blue Diamond? I’ve included some stills so that you can get a better idea. I wish the Snakeskin wasn’t showing his stress bars, which he does on a moments notice, cause he’s really striking when he’s feeling safe!

Attachments

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nice !
They all look great and active . I like stress bars besides the fact I am to believe my fish is stressed ? The coloring I find attractive and that is why I chose the Santarem ..
My thread is full of 'other junk' besides my discus so this will be a great place to post discus updates ..
My blue snakeskin pair have laid eggs 3 times since I got them ..
I still have the sticker saying they were 3 inch fish back just 2 months ago ??
The main tank seems very balanced now without them and jousting is a regular happening during feeding but otherwise all are comfy ..

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thank you Barbara!! Great idea. Your fish look great and have grown nicely. Yes I think blue diamond or of that mix. But who knows yet. As he gets bigger it may change.

Coral stress bars were what they were called years ago. Some discus allways show the bars. Heckels allways show 7 bars and have been bred into so many different types that it’s tough to guess if it’s stress on not. Below is a silver pigeon blood. But it’s got the 7 bars. So somewhere it has Heckel in it.
65B7C341-7B74-4589-B1B4-6F118B25DF6F.jpeg
Now the other silver never shows those bars. Go figure
5B10BA0B-B25B-4B1A-9F6D-9878F2E51120.jpeg
the 2 on the left both show 14 bars. Far left shows them off an on but the upper guy allways shows the bars. Is it stress? I really don’t think so but not sure. Very rare to see him without bars and have yet to get a picture without.
5A35D0DB-94F3-436F-86A8-CFA277C6B09C.jpeg
But with his fins extended he look perfectly healthy. He has no problems getting food but is growing slower than the others.

All in all my fish are doing fine and I’m enjoying keeping them. Only thing bothering me is my pigeon bloods are not showing any red. Kind of confused. Maybe I’m not feeding the right food. But I do mix it up and am trying to feed 6-10 times a day.
09090CCA-0679-4463-8E4D-D2DBA3129B6C.jpeg
08340EF6-58FE-43E2-B1DE-0F25635F196A.jpeg

DecoyCat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
@BarbaraLocke This is a wonderful idea, i will update here now
Glad to hear your 7 are doing great, they look good in the video and pics! I think thats a Blue Diamond but you can never be to sure with all the mixed breeding these days. I notice pots and ornaments in your 75g, be careful with those, i had the same in my first Discus 4 foot tank years ago, a couple of my discus became very territorial of the pots and ornaments causing them to protect the areas, which then caused stress among all the others that were being chased away. Just keep an eye on them, its the exact reason my current tank is bare with only a piece of driftwood and 1 fake plant.
With the stress bars my Turq shows them on and off at times, not really sure its anything to be too worried about, i think its just a natural thing

BarbaraLocke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Nice !
They all look great and active . I like stress bars besides the fact I am to believe my fish is stressed ? The coloring I find attractive and that is why I chose the Santarem ..
My thread is full of 'other junk' besides my discus so this will be a great place to post discus updates ..
My blue snakeskin pair have laid eggs 3 times since I got them ..
I still have the sticker saying they were 3 inch fish back just 2 months ago ??
The main tank seems very balanced now without them and jousting is a regular happening during feeding but otherwise all are comfy ..
Lol! I think it’s just very interesting to see how they can ‘put up the bars’ in a split second, or have the just on one side. Maybe it’s also a way for them to communicate with each other?

Wow! Your Snakeskins are laying eggs?! Put me down for a couple little ones when you have some to sell

I just taped a paper ruler to my 50g so I can get some pix to show everyone how big my Turqs have grown. And, I think they might be a pair! I read the other day that you can use geometry to tell males from females - by drawing lines from the top of their dorsal fin, and the middle of their analfins back towards their tail (following the edge of their fins as they slope). If the 2 lines bisect in the tail, it’s a female, and if the lines bisect at the very end, or beyond the tail, it’s a male. Has anyone else heard of this, and did it work for you? According to this ‘formula’ one of my Turqs is a male, and the other is female. That could explain why they seem perfectly content in their own tank.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They have eaten the eggs each time but they can't be 6-8 months old ??
I might know what to do with them when I have more time to help ??
The sexing idea sounds very plausible .Most cichlids with traditional body shape can be sexed by longer pointed fins. If their body was round like our disc then the lines drawn over longer fins would go back beyond the tail . For rams we commonly see if the analfin reaches into the tail it is male and ends clearly before the tail on females [ classic long fin /short fin sexing] .
I have not tried this with my 'pair' ? I assume they are a pair due to their teamwork all in all but can't be 100% till I see a wiggler !

BarbaraLocke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
@BarbaraLocke This is a wonderful idea, i will update here now
Glad to hear your 7 are doing great, they look good in the video and pics! I think thats a Blue Diamond but you can never be to sure with all the mixed breeding these days. I notice pots and ornaments in your 75g, be careful with those, i had the same in my first Discus 4 foot tank years ago, a couple of my discus became very territorial of the pots and ornaments causing them to protect the areas, which then caused stress among all the others that were being chased away. Just keep an eye on them, its the exact reason my current tank is bare with only a piece of driftwood and 1 fake plant.
With the stress bars my Turq shows them on and off at times, not really sure its anything to be too worried about, i think its just a natural thing
Thanks, Sabrina! That’s 2 votes for a Blue Diamond - which would be great, although I ordered a Cobalt so Arlo would have a buddy. I’ll definitely keep a watch to make sure no one is getting selfish with the toys in the tank! I just had the stuff, and some came with the tank, so I decided to use it. I almost got a pix of the Turqs under the ruler, but too much glare. They are definitely more than 4” now, so they’ve doubled in size in just 2 months!

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So it would seem good news bad news arrive together often ?
Found one of the orange checkerboards [that never really colored up] on the floor after breakfast !
He/she was doing fine besides not being the brightest colored fish and showed good growth ..
The good news is [may be ] I am believing the Santarem are also a breeding pair and are infact who chased the checkerboard out of the tank !
They seem [again IMO ] to be preparing to lay eggs on the drain tube .I'll bet they lay eggs after their water change today ..
Kind of bummed to lose another . Even if not M/F pair I think the discus like to see others colored like themselves ? I have noted since first loss the other Stendker Tefe does not mingle with group . Actually the Dark angels hang by themselves in back the Santarem's like each other and the checkerboards were together but had some bickering .They may have been same sex ? So watching and learning as we go ..

DecoyCat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
@coralbandit i have to agree regarding the colour thing, my 4 Blue Diamonds rarely leave each others side, the orange one (Ranga) hangs out alone and the Turq does laps around the tank all day long and just loves seeing me near the tank. Thankfully i have no pairing, chasing or fighting at the moment, they are all living in harmony.
Im sorry to hear you lost one, that is sad
How did it get out of the tank?
I once had baby discus that were about 1-2 inches big and one of them got a fright and went flying up and through the very small gap in the glass lids. The gap was only about 1 and a half center meters! It landed down behind the tank(that was a huge fall as the tank was 5 foot high off the ground), it was a struggle to reach it but i was able to get it back in the tank and it was shaken but ok.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
@coralbandit i have to agree regarding the colour thing,
Im sorry to hear you lost one, that is sad
How did it get out of the tank?
My tanks are topless … I do believe after doing water change the Santarem's are just spooking the tank !
I believe one of the 'Gang' lost one to jumping also .I would not have thought but I guess all fish can jump ..My EBA [cichlid also] jump when spooked so much they do have a back board /cover on the tank ! They are like basketballs bouncing around when spooked !

Many old breeding articles say the discus will choose a mate of its own color given choice ..
That always made me think two things [ well and a conclusion so maybe 3! ] .
1 . How do they know what they look like ?
2.Animals are color blind huh ?
3.[ conclusion] We stumble when we try to explain nature ..She is tricky for sure and not tamed by any of us ...
Maybe watching fish is so fun because some of us know we are still learning ?o_O

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry to hear coral. That’s does s**k. That is a problem when they try to pair off in a smaller tank. Not enough room to get away from the pair. Also they do seem to pair up quicker in smaller tanks. My tank is 5’ long and still happily nobody’s pairing off. As to colors mine do and don’t. Mine do swim together but do team up with there other more often. Chasing in my tank will start with any 2 fish and end with any 2 fish nobody’s singled out. Again I have 12 so theres plenty to go around and the tank being 5’ theres plenty of room to get away.

DecoyCat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
AH i see... Basketballs lol
How do they know what they look like? I agree, their eyes are on the side of their heads, how can they see themselves? Maybe its built in instinct? It has to be. Just like my Angels that just had babies, they are the same breed, same colour and they chose each other. Given there was no other Angels in the tank but still they ended up a pair.

BarbaraLocke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So sorry you lost one to a freak accident @coralbandit I’m sure the first Flachen that I lost would have been on the floor if it had been near one of the small openings in the hood when it went nuts. I lost a pretty good sized SAE a few months ago when it got out at the very corner of the tank where the hood’s backing strip was cut out for the filter. Their known as jumpers, but I couldn’t believe what good aim it had to get through a gap not more than a half inch wide.

That is good news if your Santarem are pairing off! More to sell! :emoji_ok_hand: Even if animals are color blind, they can discern shades of gray way better than we can, and it makes sense that they have an instinct (as Sabrina said) or at least some sort of awareness of those who are most like them. And, IMHO, I think Discus are a bit smarter than the average fish :emoji_older_man:

I finally got a decent pix of my Snakeskin (without his stress bars), posing with one of the PB’s - then Arlo photo bombed the shoot, and within a half second, out come the bars :emoji_smile:

Attachments

BarbaraLocke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Barbara discus look great!

Ok I have a question for the gang. What makes a snakeskin a snakeskin?
Thanks @86 ssinit ! Lol, good question! The only thing I could find is that snakeskins are supposed to have an SS pattern on their gill plates. If that’s the case, then mine might not qualify, as I can’t see anything that looks like SS on him !

BarbaraLocke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
@Thedudeiam94 :emoji_thumbsup:Beautiful!
And coming from me that's a Big :emoji_thumbsup:since I have an aversion to Red/Orange in my tanks (except the Super Red Plecos) Go figure.. But hey that's what makes the world go round. Different strokes for different folks. LOL

@BarbaraLocke
Thanks, and "Glad" to help. That's what it is all about when your a member.

Top Bottom