Dioaquatics’ Fishroom

DioAquatics

Long post coming, so here we go. As some of you may know, my parents have blessed me with allowing me to start a fishroom in my basement. There is some work that has to get done to make the basement fish ready. We have to reinsulate some parts of the basement, put up some sheetrock up on the ceiling, and lastly, we have to paint the walls and floors with FlexSeal paint. Today we finally got to cleaning the some of basement. We almost cleared out the area that my racks/tanks will be going in. There was a bunch of random stuff we got rid of. We still have 3/4 of the basement to clean up but that will continue on Monday. I also decided to go through my fish stuff and boy did I have a lot. I kept most of the things like extra filters, bubblers, working lights, decor and other working equipment. I got rid of a good amount of stuff though, mainly things that were broken or I didn't trust.

I also found someone who was closing down their fishroom and was selling some tanks. They were only 15 minutes away from me so I ended up buying 3x20 longs and 2 sponge filters from them today. That's all they had that I really needed so it's a start... for now lol. Everything came up to $60 which I don't think is bad at all. They're all in perfect condition, they just need a good cleaning.

IMG_6982.JPG

Next steps are to continue cleaning and prepping the basement, find someone who can tap into my water lines so I can put a utility sink next to my racks for water changes, draw up a solid plan for my rack system, and go to Home Depot to buy some 2x4 and cinder blocks to build the racking system. I will post pictures of the plans later today. Any input will be accepted. Thanks for reading everyone

For everyone that I remember that wanted to be tagged el337 stella1979 Bruxes and Bubbles Flowingfins Lchi87 bizaliz3 Five 97

Kenny777

Congratulations I KNOW your fishroom and tanks gonna look good! Are you planning to breed fish or just to watch? It will be cool to see someone start a breeding operations like breeding fish and inverts.

DioAquatics

Thank you! I plan on making it an nice as possible. I am going to be keeping them personally and breeding to sell.

Kenny777

KingD said:
Thank you! I plan on making it an nice as possible. I am going to be keeping them personally and breeding to sell.
To sell you should do RCS they go for quite a few or bettas would be cool to breed but is extremely difficult I'm planning to give it a try later down the road.

What are some fish planning are you thinking of doing?

stella1979

Congratulations KingD !!!! I'm super happy for you, it's going to be so great! Thanks for tagging me. I'm excited to see your fish room come together.

DioAquatics

Kenny777 said:
To sell you should do RCS they go for quite a few or bettas would be cool to breed but is extremely difficult I'm planning to give it a try later down the road.
Kenny777 said:
What are some fish planning are you thinking of doing?
RCS are one of the species on my list. I will also be trying to breed Apistogramma Cacatuoides Triple Red, Nebula Steel Guppies, Long Fin Lemon Bristlenose Plecos, Apistogramma Hongsloi, Long Fin Super Red Bristlenose Plecos, Neolamprologus Similis, and Apistogramma Trifasciata. Not all of these will be bred at the same time. I only want to breed 2-3 species at the same time. There's always room to add more fish to the list too lol

stella1979 said:
Congratulations KingD !!!! I'm super happy for you, it's going to be so great! Thanks for tagging me. I'm excited to see your fish room come together.
Thank you for wanting to follow along

Kenny777

KingD said:
RCS are one of the species on my list. I will also be trying to breed Apistogramma Cacatuoides Triple Red, Nebula Steel Guppies, Long Fin Lemon Bristlenose Plecos, Apistogramma Hongsloi, Long Fin Super Red Bristlenose Plecos, Neolamprologus Similis, and Apistogramma Trifasciata. Not all of these will be bred at the same time. I only want to breed 2-3 species at the same time. There's always room to add more fish to the list too lol
Lol well good luck Fish Breeder God KingD

DioAquatics

Kenny777 said:
Lol well good luck Fish Breeder God KingD
Haha I'm flattered but I'm no god lol. Only thing I've ever really bred are guppies and assassin snails and there's nothing special about that. Hopefully this all goes well

stella1979

KingD said:
Now I'm really excited.. I love guppies! And RCS! And apistos and Neos. Plecos are growing on me though I've never had one.

Kenny777

KingD said:
Haha I'm flattered but I'm no god lol. Only thing I've ever really bred are guppies and assassin snails and there's nothing special about that. Hopefully this all goes well
Lolz wow cool I never bred any fish almost bred a King male and crowntail female however my neighbors took them away from me so I lost them.

DioAquatics

stella1979 said:
Now I'm really excited.. I love guppies! And RCS! And apistos and Neos. Plecos are growing on me though I've never had one.
Imagine how I excited I am lol. I love guppies also and I really want to get into specific strains instead of just mutts in my main tank lol. All the other fish are ones I've always wanted to keep (2 of them I already do) and breed. You should definitely get a BN pleco. They're awesome little guys

Kenny777 said:
Lolz wow cool I never bred any fish almost bred a King male and crowntail female however my neighbors took them away from me so I lost them.
Aw man that sucks. Breeding betta is something I'd like to try when I have my own place to set up a betta barracks system. I'd love to breed platinum white half moon betta

Kenny777

KingD said:
Aw man that sucks. Breeding betta is something I'd like to try when I have my own place to set up a betta barracks system. I'd love to breed platinum white half moon betta
Yeah it does but stuff happens like that. Oh that would be cool good luck on your future breeding!

vikingkirken

Following, can't wait to see how this turns out!

Flowingfins

So happy to see this finally happening!

Lchi87

You must be besides yourself with excitement; I know I would be! Excited to see these lovely tanks come together.

DioAquatics

Lchi87 said:
You must be besides yourself with excitement; I know I would be! Excited to see these lovely tanks come together.
Oh I most definitely am lol. This is like a dream come true

Jocelyn Adelman

So exciting! Can wait to see the progress....

I believe the dollar per gallon sale is currently going on at petco if you needed some more tanks...

DioAquatics

Jocelyn Adelman said:
So exciting! Can wait to see the progress....

I believe the dollar per gallon sale is currently going on at petco if you needed some more tanks...
Oh more tanks will be coming my way haha. The DPG sale is going to be a very good friend of mine haha

Anyone wanna take a guess?

IMG_6990.jpg

el337

Yay! Congrats on the start of your fish room! This will be a very exciting journey and I'm happy to follow along.

Hmm... as for the package, I'm guessing it can't be fish already, can it??

DioAquatics

el337 said:
Yay! Congrats on the start of your fish room! This will be a very exciting journey and I'm happy to follow along.

Hmm... as for the package, I'm guessing it can't be fish already, can it??
Thanks for following along

Oh it sure is fish already lol

el337

Oh gosh... you listed a bunch of fish and inverts in your previous post. I have no clue!

DioAquatics

Haha things did escalate rather quick

el337

Or could you possibly have gotten them all at once?? lol OK, are you waiting for some more people to guess or are you going to show us what you got??

DioAquatics

No not all at once lol I wish I was at that step in the fishroom. No one else seems to be guessing so I'll just tell you, I got 5 more apistogramma cacatuoides triple reds. 1 adult female, 3 juvenile females, and 1 juvenile male. The adult female is about 1 3/4 inches. The juvies are all super small at about 3/4 of an inch. The seller had reassured me that they are what he says so let's see how they sex out when they're older.

Here's the adult female, she was a nice bright yellow in the bag so I'm sure that's a female.

IMG_6986.JPG

Here are the 4 juvies. Very small but very cute lol

IMG_6987.JPG

IMG_6989.JPG

el337

Very exciting!!

MongooseALaMode

I am definitely following this!

DioAquatics

Thanks for following!

NightShade

Following!! I'll be interested in those apisto babies when they come around!

NavigatorBlack

Having a fishroom is a non stop adventure. You will need two tanks for these Apistos, for example. If they breed, you'll need three, or maybe four. You'll be arranging things, moving them around - it's fun.
I have never seen Apistogramma shipped in the same bag, except from South America. Usually, shippers single bag them for panic aggression in transit.
What kind of water will you have for your fishroom, hardness and pH-wise?

DioAquatics

NightShade said:
Following!! I'll be interested in those apisto babies when they come around!
Hopefully they breed well for me and I'll be able to share these guys with all of you on here

NavigatorBlack said:
Having a fishroom is a non stop adventure. You will need two tanks for these Apistos, for example. If they breed, you'll need three, or maybe four. You'll be arranging things, moving them around - it's fun.
I have never seen Apistogramma shipped in the same bag, except from South America. Usually, shippers single bag them for panic aggression in transit.
What kind of water will you have for your fishroom, hardness and pH-wise?
I'm so excited for this adventure. I'm constantly looking for something new to do with my 75 but I never can find anything so this fishroom will definitely keep me busy. I'm going to have a total of 13 tanks (so far), 10x 20L and 3x40B.

The adult female was shipped in her own bag. The 4 juvies were in the same bag and I'm assuming it's because of how small they are. I'm not sure but I know they came in looking great so thankfully there wasn't much aggression in the bag with the juvies.
If I'm not mistaken, my pH is around 7.4-7.6, I'd have to test my hardest which I can do today and let you know.

Do you have tips or any advice when it comes to breeding apistogramma?

tyguy7760

looking forward to following along

DioAquatics

Well with the help of my mom and grandma, my basement is finally cleaned and organized. All I have left to do, is wait till either 9th or 16th of this month to throw out all the junk we had in the basement. Once we throw all that stuff out, I'll have a lot more space and I can start getting the materials for the rack systems after I come up with a solid design.

The next step is to insulate the rest of the ceiling that's missing insulation and put up the drywall on the ceiling too.

Now I'm wondering, should I build the racks completely out of wood or should I use cinderblocks too? My basement can get pretty humid at times so I worry about using only wood and then having it rot.

Also thought I'd share some pictures of the new female apistogramma. Boy oh boy, she flipping gorgeous looks at that yellow! Imaging how vibrant she's gonna look when she's with Big Boy

IMG_7001.JPG

You can see how much larger she is compared to the juvies I got with her (bottom left of the picture).

IMG_6998.JPG

IMG_6999.JPG

cichlid234

Have you thought about composite materials instead of wood

DioAquatics

cichlid234 said:
Have you thought about composite materials instead of wood
What would you have in mind for something like that?

cichlid234

Maybe something like that for the platforms, and metal studs for support and what not.

DioAquatics

Hmmm, that would be an interesting stand. I'll definitely look more into that. Thank you!

cichlid234

Yea just an idea that to me sounds mister resistant. I honestly don't think you have any trouble with treated wood

DioAquatics

Another long post coming. After struggling with getting the design for the racks and getting everything at the right height, I think I got it right.

This is the basic layout of how I want the tanks to be placed on the racks. In drawing it out, I realized that cinder blocks (labeled CB) come in 8 inch heights. If I use them to build the legs and risers for each shelf, I will be around 74 inches tall, give or take an inch or 2. That's too tall for my basement. So what I did was change out some of the cinder blocks on each riser and put in a piece of 4x4 right on top of the cinder blocks. Here's what I mean.

Old design

IMG_7007.JPG

Slightly modified design. You can see that 4 of the cinder blocks used as risers are changed to pieces of 4x4. With these few changes, the height is now 66 inches which is much more realistic.

IMG_7008.JPG

I think this new design is what's going to be happening with the fish room. If anyone has any tips or ideas or sees anything that can be improved, please let me know.

cichlid234

How are you planing to filter, separately or centrally? Just curious really lol.

JLeeM

Definitely watching and following. Keeping an eye on your Apistos as well.

DioAquatics

cichlid234 said:
How are you planing to filter, separately or centrally? Just curious really lol.
At first I was going to do a central sump system but the risk of transferring diseases it WAY to high like that so each tank will be filtered with a couple sponge filters.

JLeeM said:
Definitely watching and following. Keeping an eye on your Apistos as well.
Thanks for following along! Hopefully I can get the breed soon and share these beautiful fish with you all

cichlid234

Yea I was gonna say the sponge filters, but I was watching a video on a guy who breeds, and with his Corydoras he used a central system so when one pair bred it would get in the water and make others start. Those apistos are magnificent by the way.

DioAquatics

Yea I've seen people do things both ways. A YouTuber I follow had a central dump system but one tank ended up getting sick and then suddenly all of his tanks were infected. That's my main reason for not doing the sump. If I were to breed bettas, that would work for the barracks system but in my case, separate sponge filters is the safest way to go. Thank you! I hope to get some really vivid coloring and finnage with these guys

bNissan

Why not both? You could have the majority of your tanks on sponges and a small block of them on a central sump. This way you can take advantage of the security that sponges provide and the breeding bonuses of the sump, and then return the fish to sponge filtered tanks when you are done.

I could be completely off base, admittedly I don't know a lot about fish rooms.

DioAquatics

I technically could do that but I fear too much of disease spreading from tank to tank with a central sump. If I did a central sump, I'd have to have a separate quarantining rack for all the fish before they go in the breeding tanks. With individually filtered tanks, each tank on its own will be a quarantine tank for the specific fish in it so it kind of just skips the middle man of quarantining

DioAquatics

Just sharing pictures of the new apistogramma. They are such beautiful fish. Definitely my favorite right now.

Here's the adult female. I can't get over her, she looks like she's in breeding condition already.

IMG_7011.JPG

Here's the juvenile male. He's already got amazing coloring so I'm excited to see why he looks like when he's full grown.

IMG_7015.JPG

And the largest of the 3 juvenile "females". Nothing super special with them but they sure are cute lol

IMG_7013.JPG

JLeeM

KingD said:
Just sharing pictures of the new apistogramma. They are such beautiful fish. Definitely my favorite right now.

Here's the adult female. I can't get over her, she looks like she's in breeding condition already.

IMG_7011.JPG

Here's the juvenile male. He's already got amazing coloring so I'm excited to see why he looks like when he's full grown.

IMG_7015.JPG

And the largest of the 3 juvenile "females". Nothing super special with them but they sure are cute lol

IMG_7013.JPG
They're amazing. I've liked these ever since I saw a picture the first time. Don't hear too much about them on here, and have yet to see one in person in my area.

DioAquatics

JLeeM said:
They're amazing. I've liked these ever since I saw a picture the first time. Don't hear too much about them on here, and have yet to see one in person in my area.
They truly are amazing little fish. I used to be a livebearer guy but dwarf cichlids have taken over. I fell in love with them from a picture I saw online too and I had to have them. Being able to breed them soon is just a blessing.

stella1979

I too have never seen apistos in person, they are quite lovely in pictures though. This thread sure is getting exciting KingD !!! So glad to be following along.

DioAquatics

The basement is finally cleared of all the junk! Super excited to see all the space I have down there now. Next I'm going to buy the cinder blocks and 2x6s for the rack and set up whatever tanks I can for now. The 13 tanks won't all be coming to the fish room at once. I'm going to buy them at 1-2 at a time either on Craigslist for cheap or the DPG sale at Petco. I won't actually fill them up with water until that part of the ceiling in the basement is reinsulated and the Sheetrock is up.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Find a Guru

Top Bottom