40b tank additional stocking

Wnrwade

whenever my 40 finally cycles and I can add fish I want to have like 10 zebra danios and like 6 harlequins. What else can I add and how many?

Also how do you determine how many fish? I have read lots of articles and can never find anything beyond really the 1in rule or suggestions on tank size ( this never really says how many in that tank size or if other fish are in there) and I know it really depends on bio load, filtration and ability to do water changes.
I have higher ph water around 8 and am running a whisper 60 and a sicce adv shark 600 filters so I have around 500 gph turn over of water. Temo of tank is 78 degrees. Would like to someday try my hand at adding some plants also.

jkkgron2

It’s hard to determine how many fish. Usually you have to consider what area of the tank they hang out in, do they need a school, and do they have a heavy bioload.

Some endlers livebearers would look nice. Maybe 3 males and 6 females? You could also up the rasboras to 10. Other fish you might consider are peacock gudgeons, corys, and a school of tetras.

AngelfishDude722

oto catfish are great algae eaters but if there is no algae you can feed them boiled spinach or other greens they are peaceful fish. Corydoras in a group of 4-6 are cool also.

jkkgron2

IMO Otos don’t always eat veggies but if they make it past 2 weeks and will accept veggies they are very fun and rewarding little guys :)

AngelfishDude722

jkkgron2 said:
IMO Otos don’t always eat veggies but if they make it past 2 weeks and will accept veggies they are very fun and rewarding little guys :)
What else would you feed them if they don’t accept veggies?

Wnrwade

jkkgron2 said:
It’s hard to determine how many fish. Usually you have to consider what area of the tank they hang out in, do they need a school, and do they have a heavy bioload.

Some endlers livebearers would look nice. Maybe 3 males and 6 females? You could also up the rasboras to 10. Other fish you might consider are peacock gudgeons, corys, and a school of tetras.
Thank you will look at the Cory's and gudgeons.The bio load is what I have a hard time finding. I would like fancy guppies or endlers but guppies seem to be my nemesis. Of course they were from petco (only option unless I ship) but have had close to 10 of them die in my 29 gallon. Never more than 6 in there at a time. May try and order some in again some day but havent got over that many dieing yet

AngelfishDude722 said:
oto catfish are great algae eaters but if there is no algae you can feed them boiled spinach or other greens they are peaceful fish. Corydoras in a group of 4-6 are cool also.
Thought about getting an albino bristle nose pleco or 2. Just didn't know yet. I think would be the last thing I would add though

JettsPapa

AngelfishDude722 said:
What else would you feed them if they don’t accept veggies?
If they won't eat commercial food or vegetables, and if there's not enough algae, they'll starve.

AngelfishDude722

JettsPapa said:
If they won't eat commercial food or vegetables, and if there's not enough algae, they'll starve.
Oh...

Wnrwade said:
Thought about getting an albino bristle nose pleco or 2. Just didn't know yet. I think would be the last thing I would add though
Bridtlenose are cool but watch out they might eat any plants you add and from what I have seen require a lot more food than most people think.

Wnrwade

Bridtlenose are cool but watch out they might eat any plants you add and from what I have seen require a lot more food than most people think.
[/QUOTE]
Yeah thats what I'm worried about. Would like to try some bacopa caroliniana someday

AngelfishDude722

Wnrwade said:
Yeah thats what I'm worried about. Would like to try some bacopa caroliniana someday
[/QUOTE]
Idk I had those plants and they died on me for no reason while all of my other plants did well... but goodluck to you!

Wnrwade

AngelfishDude722 said:
Idk I had those plants and they died on me for no reason while all of my other plants did well... but goodluck to you!
[/QUOTE]
Yeah thought I would give them a try. Been watching alot of aquarium co-op and he says that happens to some people. He said he is a master horticulturist but he has a certain easy plant he can't keep alive also. Says some people because of their water or fish cant keep some. But I like how they actually take the plants they receive and put them under the water and try to get the die back already done before you buy them

Top Bottom