Wild-life photos

1. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

We all love animals, so I. 1471136116722.jpg figured I'd start this. Here's what I think is a Turkey Vulture. 1471136077141.jpg apparently he doesn't like the paparazzi.
    Please post pictures of wild critters from your neck of the woods

2. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Nice shots! The fact that the head hasn't turned red indicates that this is a juvenile. Big flocks used to gather in the field behind the house i grew up in:)

3. OP
    OP
    Dave125g

Wow a juvenile. You mean this guy is gonna get bigger? He hangs out waiting for the bear to make a mess out of the garbage. Then cleans up after him.

4. Aquaphobia

Maybe, but more likely it's considered a juvenile until reaching sexual maturity. It might bulk out a little though:)

5. CowBoYReX

CowBoYReX Well Known Member Member

I thinks it's just an American black vulture. Dave75g what animal would you like to see, within reason lol, I may have some. I love wildlife photography

6. OP
    OP
    Dave125g

Mabee I don't know birds, I just know it's a vulture. Around here Turkey Vultures are common.

7. Aquaphobia

You're a bit north of the range of American Black Vultures, though it could have been blown off course and got lost:;dk

8. OP
    OP
    Dave125g

I'm in upstate NY

9. Aquaphobia

Yep, and the northernmost tip of their range might touch the southern tip of NY state.

10. CowBoYReX

CowBoYReX Well Known Member Member

Turkey vultures have huge nostrils and slightly convex beaks above the nostril, while blacks have small nostrils and slightly concave beaks. But one thing is for sure, it is a vulture lol

11. B

Bhatti Valued Member Member

nice thread Dave75g :)
    here is pictures of Bulbul (family Pycnonotidae) and its babies which hatched in a flowering vine in our house.
    Photo1803.jpg
    Photo1859.jpg

12. Aquaphobia

Here are some of my recent wildlife shots:

The young Black Tail Deer buck who frequents the yard and likes to hang out under the porch:
    IMG_20160808_140814091.jpg IMG_20160808_140852632_HDR.jpg

A paper wasp nest (What? It's wildlife!) in a tree branch about 6 feet from the ground and maybe 10 from the ocean:
    IMG_20160805_160344053_HDR.jpg

13. OP
    OP
    Dave125g

Here's our local garbage picker. Not a very good shot, but I didn't want to get that close. 1471314719274.jpg 1471314835390.jpg

14. Aquaphobia

Good idea!

15. B

here is picture I managed to get of a monitor lizard(bengal monitor i think)
    Photo2273.jpg
    (bottom right of gate)
    and after few days I found it almost dead. I believe it was living in our deserted plot, but regularly visited neighbourhood, so someone tried to kill him :(
    IMG2657A.jpg
    these are thought to be poisonous, don't know for sure.

16. :) fatcatfish (:

:) fatcatfish (: Well Known Member Member

[​IMG]

A nice small pike down in Winchester. He was only a little one though.

Monitors have a bacteria in their saliva which is what kills someone if their bitten I believe.

17. Drummindot

Drummindot Well Known Member Member

While we're sharing wildlife photos here's my "pet" turtle. He sowed up in our creek this year and is determined to stay near "his" rock! Two flash floods later when I was 'sure' he'd been washed downstream he showed back up on his rock yesterday! We've named him Mortimer. I believe he's a common slider. I'd like to start leaving treats for him but am not sure what to leave and don't want to leave the wrong thing and hurt him. Any ideas? I say good morning to him every morning as I coming back from taking my son to school. (We live in the country where there is no bus service to the public school.) [​IMG]

18. p

powwow Valued Member Member

A little flock of grouse that visit my yard for seeds twice a day during the winter.

[​IMG]

Bottoms up!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Canada Geese at the bottom of my hill.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A little Merlin hawk at my bird bath.

[​IMG]

A Raven

[​IMG]

19. B

here's a frog poped up in our house during monson season. It was pretty big one. We don't get to see this size commonly.
    Photo2018.jpg
    I caught this baby laughing dove from trees in house. Its parents were not attending him. So I handfed him for few days and let it go when it was able to fly.
    Photo1886.jpg
    and here is baby of "don't know english name"(black sparrow in urdu). Search google and closest resemblance is to black robin(but it belongs to newzealand :p)
    Photo1864.jpg

I live in city, so we don't get any big wild life here :)

20. OP
    OP
    Dave125g

Very nice everyone. Keep them coming. I'm loving it.