Wild-life photos

1. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

We all love animals, so I. 1471136116722.jpg figured I'd start this. Here's what I think is a Turkey Vulture. 1471136077141.jpg apparently he doesn't like the paparazzi.
    Please post pictures of wild critters from your neck of the woods

2. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Nice shots! The fact that the head hasn't turned red indicates that this is a juvenile. Big flocks used to gather in the field behind the house i grew up in:)

3. OP
    OP
    Dave125g

Wow a juvenile. You mean this guy is gonna get bigger? He hangs out waiting for the bear to make a mess out of the garbage. Then cleans up after him.

4. Aquaphobia

Maybe, but more likely it's considered a juvenile until reaching sexual maturity. It might bulk out a little though:)

5. OP
    OP
    Dave125g

Oh Ok I get it.

6. CowBoYReX

CowBoYReX Well Known Member Member

I thinks it's just an American black vulture. Dave75g what animal would you like to see, within reason lol, I may have some. I love wildlife photography

7. OP
    OP
    Dave125g

Mabee I don't know birds, I just know it's a vulture. Around here Turkey Vultures are common.

8. Aquaphobia

You're a bit north of the range of American Black Vultures, though it could have been blown off course and got lost:;dk

9. OP
    OP
    Dave125g

I'm in upstate NY

10. Aquaphobia

Yep, and the northernmost tip of their range might touch the southern tip of NY state.

11. CowBoYReX

CowBoYReX Well Known Member Member

Turkey vultures have huge nostrils and slightly convex beaks above the nostril, while blacks have small nostrils and slightly concave beaks. But one thing is for sure, it is a vulture lol

12. Aquaphobia

You're right! They are incredibly similar but the nostrils are key. I wonder if it really is all that far out of its range or if they normally venture further north in summer?

I grew up in southern Ontario so we only saw Turkey Vultures...or did we?;)

13. OP
    OP
    Dave125g

It may have been blown off course. Its been storming on and off here for a week Now. And it's been 90 degrees and super humid

You can post what you like. I gotta edit the OP I ment this thread to be for everyone to post pics.

14. B

Bhatti Valued Member Member

nice thread Dave75g :)
    here is pictures of Bulbul (family Pycnonotidae) and its babies which hatched in a flowering vine in our house.
    Photo1803.jpg
    Photo1859.jpg

15. OP
    OP
    Dave125g

Nice.

16. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

I like the thread Dave! Every time I get my phone animals run haha.

17. OP
    OP
    Dave125g

Happens to me all the time. Lol most times all I get is a blur

18. Aquaphobia

Here are some of my recent wildlife shots:

The young Black Tail Deer buck who frequents the yard and likes to hang out under the porch:
    IMG_20160808_140814091.jpg IMG_20160808_140852632_HDR.jpg

A paper wasp nest (What? It's wildlife!) in a tree branch about 6 feet from the ground and maybe 10 from the ocean:
    IMG_20160805_160344053_HDR.jpg

19. OP
    OP
    Dave125g

Cool

20. OP
    OP
    Dave125g

Here's our local garbage picker. Not a very good shot, but I didn't want to get that close. 1471314719274.jpg 1471314835390.jpg