Wild-life photos

Dave125g

We all love animals, so I.
figured I'd start this. Here's what I think is a Turkey Vulture.
apparently he doesn't like the paparazzi.
Please post pictures of wild critters from your neck of the woods

Aquaphobia

Nice shots! The fact that the head hasn't turned red indicates that this is a juvenile. Big flocks used to gather in the field behind the house I grew up in

Dave125g

Wow a juvenile. You mean this guy is gonna get bigger? He hangs out waiting for the bear to make a mess out of the garbage. Then cleans up after him.

Aquaphobia

Maybe, but more likely it's considered a juvenile until reaching sexual maturity. It might bulk out a little though

CowBoYReX

I thinks it's just an American black vulture. Dave75g what animal would you like to see, within reason lol, I may have some. I love wildlife photography

Dave125g

Mabee I don't know birds, I just know it's a vulture. Around here Turkey Vultures are common.

Aquaphobia

You're a bit north of the range of American Black Vultures, though it could have been blown off course and got lost

Dave125g

I'm in upstate NY

Aquaphobia

Yep, and the northernmost tip of their range might touch the southern tip of NY state.

CowBoYReX

Turkey vultures have huge nostrils and slightly convex beaks above the nostril, while blacks have small nostrils and slightly concave beaks. But one thing is for sure, it is a vulture lol

Bhatti

nice thread Dave75g
here is pictures of Bulbul (family Pycnonotidae) and its babies which hatched in a flowering vine in our house.

Aquaphobia

Here are some of my recent wildlife shots:

The young Black Tail Deer buck who frequents the yard and likes to hang out under the porch:

A paper wasp nest (What? It's wildlife!) in a tree branch about 6 feet from the ground and maybe 10 from the ocean:

Dave125g

Here's our local garbage picker. Not a very good shot, but I didn't want to get that close.

Aquaphobia

Good idea!

Bhatti

here is picture I managed to get of a monitor lizard(bengal monitor I think)

(bottom right of gate)
and after few days I found it almost dead. I believe it was living in our deserted plot, but regularly visited neighbourhood, so someone tried to kill him

these are thought to be poisonous, don't know for sure.

:) fatcatfish (:

Monitors have a bacteria in their saliva which is what kills someone if their bitten I believe.

Drummindot

While we're sharing wildlife photos here's my "pet" turtle. He sowed up in our creek this year and is determined to stay near "his" rock! Two flash floods later when I was 'sure' he'd been washed downstream he showed back up on his rock yesterday! We've named him Mortimer. I believe he's a common slider. I'd like to start leaving treats for him but am not sure what to leave and don't want to leave the wrong thing and hurt him. Any ideas? I say good morning to him every morning as I coming back from taking my son to school. (We live in the country where there is no bus service to the public school.)

Bhatti

here's a frog poped up in our house during monson season. It was pretty big one. We don't get to see this size commonly.

I caught this baby laughing dove from trees in house. Its parents were not attending him. So I handfed him for few days and let it go when it was able to fly.

and here is baby of "don't know english name"(black sparrow in urdu). Search google and closest resemblance is to black robin(but it belongs to newzealand )

I live in city, so we don't get any big wild life here

Dave125g

Very nice everyone. Keep them coming. I'm loving it.

Fgrefee

Thought you might like to see this little guy who lives in the hedges on my aunt and uncle's property in France.

ScuttleGecc

Juvie yellow crowned night heron, I believe. On my Nanas pool

Bhatti

here's a water snake(in middle along bank). Its by far my first and only water snake(infact any adult wild snake). Saw him on fishing tour on a river.

it was pretty shiny green but picture....

Fish FL

how about this bad boy

CowBoYReX

Aquaphobia

Well, this doesn't quite measure up to poking a stick at a crocodile (alligator?) but this is a picture of the shell of a computer monitor, probably debris from the 2011 tsunamI in Japan, absolutely covered in millions of tiny baby mussels. I found it washed up on the shore of the Strait of Juan de Fuca:

There are more and better pictures but for some reason I can't upload them. Fishlore says the file size is too large but as I've never changed my resolution I don't know why these would be the only ones to be rejected???

Fish FL

hahaha

What do you think minus the fact my tablet turnes my pictures upside down

@ do you think its worth a couple more of you photos

ScuttleGecc

There's the guy. Keep in mind, by nearly stepping on it, I mean my foot was going down as it was about to lunge so my grandfather pushed me backwards.

Feisty thing. Bit grandpa's walking stick and left venom traces.

I believe he was close to molting

Then there's the wild, allusive.....

PUGGLE (he's an old dog now)
He used to be wild enough to be counted as one (as in randomly biting his best friend's neck as a threat and biting a collie next door when he's usually calm and hungry)

The Crayfish King

ShadowKittyCat said:
Then there's the wild, allusive.....

PUGGLE (he's an old dog now)
He used to be wild enough to be counted as one (as in randomly biting his best friend's neck as a threat and biting a collie next door when he's usually calm and hungry)

Lol I have a puggle, she's the laziest creature on the planet most of the time, unless some poor squirrel or rabbit happens to have a pulse in our yard. She's never caught a squirrel, but the rabbits aren't always quite nimble enough to avoid disembowelment.

ShadowKittyCat said:
My dog stands still and or tries jumping out of the bath with the saddest eyes

My dogs will roll in and Dawkins (the puggle) will eat anything dead. He found a dead baby bird and ate half of it for mom to find
Lol I've got a whole lot of kooky stories I could tell, but despite being the bane of woodland trespassers, Bella is quite domestic, and that's not quite what this thread is about, lol.

So in the spirit of the thread, here's some wildlife from the huge pond by my dad's yard:
The thing that looks like a big rock is actually a turtle:

Fish FL

The Crayfish King said:
Lol I've got a whole lot of kooky stories I could tell, but despite being the bane of woodland trespassers, Bella is quite domestic, and that's not quite what this thread is about, lol.

So in the spirit of the thread, here's some wildlife from the huge pond by my dad's yard:
The thing that looks like a big rock is actually a turtle:
Can I show my friend the crayfish va copy paste and text

The Crayfish King

Fish FL said:
Can I show my friend the crayfish va copy paste and text
Lol sure

ShadowKittyCat said:
Oh my lord is that a baby cray fish?

It's so little-
Yeah, they sure are little. They usually hide among the shoreline rocks, but this year the water level has been fairly low, so not as many hiding spots were available by the shore. I'm sure that there are plenty of hiding place further from shore though. Last year, if you poked the rocks with a stick, dozens of them would come out of the woodwork. I've also got a picture of them swarming a little piece of hamburger I gave them (after running under tap water for about five minutes to remove as much excess grease as I could)
and eventually a few adults came to spoil their fun

CowBoYReX

DoubleDutch said:
Glad you're still alive man hahaha !!!! We are stuck with the wildlife that is the most "soft" there is. Slip over a non poisoness frog is the biggest risk I think hahaha.

Oops.mist some posts. Was reffering to CowBoYReX

Most dangerous animals overhere are cattle
Those are pretty sweet looking cows, though, and thanks I'm glad to be alive lol. The joys of being born and raised in the country in Florida. When I was in the Marines some of my buddies were like, "there's a country part in Florida?" That's partly how the CowBoY part started.

Here's two to start the morning
Siren lacertina (greater siren)

Hellgrammite

Aquaphobia

Ooh! Belted Galloways! They're such pretty cows;D

On what was supposed to be a short drive to rescue a Betta I made a wrong turn and ended up driving over a mountain and into a fog bank. There was a herd of Highland Cattle up there!

chromedome52

I have a pool with Humpback Limias, my core population. I am afraid she will get in there and wipe them out.

All snakes are great swimmers, even desert species. It is their natural movement, and they are invariably lighter than water.

Plecomaker

Wehad a snake and toad in the house a couple weeks ago. I let the dog out and he came in with both of them and dropped them on the ground. They were both alive and freaked out! I caught them by stopping up exit points with a hockey stick at 3am!

you can't make this stuff up.

pic of guilty party

Dave125g

Here's a cute one

Here's 1 that's not so cute

CowBoYReX

Dave75g said:
Yes sand hill crane got that shot in Florida
They are an awesome bird, and I'm sure you know endangered

Flowingfins said:
Some pictures I got at the barn today.
I think I have a pic of that butterfly species, I'll check

Nope similar though

Dave125g

These are probably the most wild animals I've ever had to deal with.
lol my kids last Halloween.

Bhatti

I am feeling so jealous of people who are posting wildlife pics(not to mention they got plenty of it where they live)
I am almost out of pics so please consider it as wildlife photo.(any animal from wild is, wild, captivity doesn't un-wild it )

Borrowed this fellla for pics from a snake charmer

CowBoYReX

aliray said:
Blue lined skink? I have only seen one in my yard once. They are really pretty. Alison
It's a male broadhead skink. I have some other skinks I'll post later

Aquaphobia

OK, I'll include some deer pictures

See? Not wild

A tidepool sculpin. Still can't believe I caught one! They're fast and very well camouflaged.

Gooseneck barnacles:

Periwinkles and anemones!

toeknee

Mom moose and it's youngin in Vail, CO. This moose has calves almost every other summer and they always hang out in town. One calf ran inside an open door into a hotel lobby last year!

Bhatti

here's a spider to start you all nice people day

I am not good at taking pics

CowBoYReX

Platylover said:
Ooh... What type of spiders are those? They look awesome, I love spiders...
Mine are both types of jumping wolf spiders, I think Bhatti's are what we call crab spiders, what do you call them?

Bhatti

Platylover, CowBoYReX
I see red tailed, black white striped skink sometimes in my house. its famous as "saanp kI khala"(snake aunt) here and considered venumous. so from childhood until few days ago, I was afraid of it.

yeah it has beautiful color. usually I see gray colored crab spider here, but it was found in a forest resort.

CowBoYReX

Bhatti said:
Platylover, CowBoYReX
I see red tailed, black white striped skink sometimes in my house. its famous as "saanp kI khala"(snake aunt) here and considered venumous. so from childhood until few days ago, I was afraid of it.

yeah it has beautiful color. usually I see gray colored crab spider here, but it was found in a forest resort.
Not sure the exact species you are talking about, but if it is a skink it is not poisonous. There aren't any poisonous skinks

Just looked I think it's the match stick skink

Bhatti

yup it is its name, remembered now.

I looked in about difference b/w poisonous vs non-p. they say there could be exceptions, alot. like about eyes, cobra and mamba have round pupils but both are extremely deadly. But I think as to make first general assumption (keeping exception in mind) one can say points you metioned are valid to some extant.

Fish FL

CowBoYReX said:
I like them and atlas moths, I don't know why I haven't any luna moth pics. I do think I lost quite a few photos when my pc crashed not long ago :'(
That's sad mabey you could use some sort of recovery software like recuva.

Anyway that's abig bummer.

Least killis

Plus new gravel

Aquaphobia

Could be a female moth. They're not the ones searching for a mate so they don't need the extra surface area for detecting pheromones

Drummindot

Aquaphobia said:
Could be a female moth. They're not the ones searching for a mate so they don't need the extra surface area for detecting pheromones
Humm... I thought all moths had fuzzy antennae?!? She definitely has moth-like eyes and abdomen tho...

Dave125g

Sarah73 said:
Here's a "wild-life photo" looks like Rex
Looks like Santa Kitty

This little girl was on her way to lay some eggs

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom