Washing and adding sand to a tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by Jaysee, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

It's not often I add sand to a tank anymore, but since I had to add some pool filter sand to the 125, I thought I would take some pictures.

How many times do you have to wash the sand? As many times as it takes. I wash about 10-15 lbs at a time, which is about my fingers length in the bucket. The first picture is after the third wash (when I decided to chronicle this). And each picture after is at the finish of each successive wash.

A wash consists of filling the bucket with water while churning the sand with my hand.

After the 10th wash, I could see my hand on the sand. THAT is when it is clean enough to be added without clouding the tank.

Attached Files:

2. OP
    OP
    Jaysee

After 5 washes, progress starts to be made and I can start seeing my hand lower in the bucket. After 10 washes, I can see my hand on the sand.

Attached Files:

3. OP
    OP
    Jaysee

Then it's just a matter of turning off the filter, REMOVING some water (sand displaces water), and pouring the sand where you want it.

First pic is before, last is after.

Attached Files:

4. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice