20 Gallon Tank Suggestions of best tank mate for Betta and Corys

Caterpie

Hello guys!
I want to ask your advice about the best tank mates for my betta fish and albino corys, because I guess YouTube gives too many options, but so far they have been a fail for me. I currently have 3 nerite snails, 1 betta, 4 albino corys and 6 neon tetras in a 20 gallons tank, but I just found out the neon tetras have been nipping the betta’s tail and almost blind a cory (thanksfully since they’re little they just made the eye swollen and today it looks better). I’ll sadly have to return the neons because they’re getting too aggressive and I just need peace in the tank, and so far the betta and corys have got along so well. What other pacific fish could I bring to replace the neons? What about harlequin rasboras? I had a bad experience with Molly fish, platty and now neon tetras :( all them nipped the betta tail and tried to attack the corys. I’ll attach a general view of the aquarium so you guys can see the decor if it’s fine or not, and also the betta and Cory situation last night. (I’ll give time to my betta and Cory to heal before I bring another tank mate)
Thank you!

Attachments

• 56851C08-B290-4A09-81DA-45FCA028E0D5.jpeg
    56851C08-B290-4A09-81DA-45FCA028E0D5.jpeg
    270.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 4C3CF670-8DD7-48FE-81E3-8E938D5B9BE4.jpeg
    4C3CF670-8DD7-48FE-81E3-8E938D5B9BE4.jpeg
    115.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 73608B62-96ED-4669-8976-A629EA61FBE8.jpeg
    73608B62-96ED-4669-8976-A629EA61FBE8.jpeg
    214.5 KB · Views: 37
  • B2C6862C-047E-423A-B4DB-21D95734B04C.jpeg
    B2C6862C-047E-423A-B4DB-21D95734B04C.jpeg
    195 KB · Views: 41

AlphaFish

For the stocking, I suggest ember tetras. They are like neons but I've never heard of any embers nipping and didn't see mine do it either. Tho I had to separate the betta because he was too aggressive with the tetras. You might have a better chance to succes if you provide your fish with some caves, plants and wood. Generally more cover. This will make the fish feel safer and drastically reduce aggression.

Rose of Sharon

I like rasboras. Take a look at this thread, and see what you think about the lambchop rasboras -( JL's Aquascapes and Fish)

You might need to scroll through it a little, but JL's rasboras are very pretty.

The harlequins would be good, too. They are really fast, so the betta won't be able to bother them, and they are not agressive.

Caterpie

I like rasboras. Take a look at this thread, and see what you think about the lambchop rasboras -( JL's Aquascapes and Fish)

You might need to scroll through it a little, but JL's rasboras are very pretty.

The harlequins would be good, too. They are really fast, so the betta won't be able to bother them, and they are not agressive.
I really don’t see the betta bothering any other fish, I actually see him pretty shy after he got attacked by the neons, because when I feed him on the surface, sometimes the corys go there too and try to get some food. The betta leaves the spot until the corys are gone and then he eats :( I also give bottom feeders food to the corys and it’s not a long time they spend on the surface. I will check the suggestions given and I hope they won’t bother the betta. Thank you all

Debbie1986

if it was me, I'd just leave it betta and cories

let them relax and chill

nipping behavior means not happy - they are sharing resources and real estate - with no means to retreat ( leave tank) , violence occurs

I just had skirt tetras attack a betta - but it was my fault. I introduced him to the 38 gallon tank, but he was physically on the smaller side due to body type.

the other bettas in there are huge by comparison ( but for 1 smaller elephant ear who hate the world,she holds her own but moves FAST!)

Casper ( opal betta) is healing and I recognize it was 100% my fault.

fin type and body size, he was fair game and they exploited his weakness. Thankfully I saw it ( Casper was only in tank maybe an hour or so). i was home & could check on him - something I always try & do when adding to my community tank

* also - trauma of an attack can make a betta shy/nervous. I've seen such results twice now.

Caterpie

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I have also considered leaving just the betta and corys. I have just 1 betta and 4 albinos in a 20 gallons tank, it looks so empty, not much to see :( that’s why I feel a bit tempted to add more fishes within a few weeks :( but at the same time I want them to be happy and healthy.

SlyKallie

Not sure if I can bump other threads?
But I am curious of the progression of this as this was my ideal tank but maybe a harem in a 35g. Currently I have 4 corys and two fancy guppies. And am hoping for info on a beta addition. ^_^

Caterpie

But I am curious of the progression of this as this was my ideal tank but maybe a harem in a 35g. Currently I have 4 corys and two fancy guppies. And am hoping for info on a beta addition. ^_^
Hi!
I will tell you about my experience with a betta in a community tank. Everyone said it was possible, but I agree it depends on the betta’s personality (which is impossible to know until you get it) and also the other fishes personality. First I got a betta fish, 4 corys and 4 Molly: mollys were nipping to the corys and the betta. Second, I tried with betta, 4 corys and 6 neon tetra: tetras were nipping to the corys and betta. Third, 1 betta, 4 corys and 5 ember tetras: betta killed 2 of the ember tetras… and I currently decided to put a tank divider to keep my betta apart from the 4 corys and the new 5 harlequin rasboras that I just got 3 days ago. I had realized betta had been nipping to the corys, I could see their tail a little bit broken, or he gets aggressive against them when it’s about food. I love my betta fish and I don’t want to get ride of him, but I decided to make his own 6 gallons space to stop any kind of aggression. I’ve been watching the harlequin rasboras and corys, so far everyone have their tail and eyes in place.
My advice based on my experience: your betta will pick up fight with your guppies (because I believe they’re not too different to molly fish regarding to personality) and he might go after your corys. I suggest you not to get a betta fish, unless you can give him his own space or toooo many plants in a very full loaded planted tank (which I can’t afford currently). I attach pictures of my current fish tank for you to see it. Good luck!
(I have the hypothesis that the fishes get aggressive because betta fish makes them uncomfortable by chasing or trying to claim his space, and they just fight him back or something, but I’m not sure. Since I have my betta apart, everything seems more peaceful. My aquarium size is 20 gallons by the way)

Attachments

• 363C5A43-6719-4D2F-84E6-BE0704DCE0ED.jpeg
    363C5A43-6719-4D2F-84E6-BE0704DCE0ED.jpeg
    258.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 207F30B7-545A-4CC8-A8B3-96AD14DE3262.jpeg
    207F30B7-545A-4CC8-A8B3-96AD14DE3262.jpeg
    155.5 KB · Views: 18

MyFishAddiction

You want a harem of what? Guppies?
Guppies aren't generally the best betta tank mates. Always have a plan b.
Also, Please make your own thread. This is Caterpie's thread. You may also get more/better answers with your own thread.

SlyKallie

You want a harem of what? Guppies?
Guppies aren't generally the best betta tank mates. Always have a plan b.
Also, Please make your own thread. This is Caterpie's thread. You may also get more/better answers with your own thread.
Sorry, I was hoping for their personal experience continuing from what I read earlier in this post. Harem of Betta. ^_^

otterblue

I'm done with bettas in community tanks. I had one years ago that was successful, but more recently I had to remove my new betta after he killed two fish. Prior to the deaths, he had never shown any real aggression - it seemed to happen out of the blue.

Additionally, bettas seem to change the nature of the tank - a peaceful tank becomes less so, even before any obvious aggression. I prefer the peaceful tank.

MyFishAddiction

Sorry, I was hoping for their personal experience continuing from what I read earlier in this post. Harem of Betta. ^_^
Nonononononono. Don't do males and females in the same tank for long periods of time. Maybe you could do a sorority of you want multiple bettas?

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
20 Gallon Tank Betta fish’s tank mates
Replies
Views
Skrabbitskrabbit
Replies
Views
AquaticQueen
20 Gallon Tank Broken tail, betta fish
Replies
Views