Persistent Cloud/murky Water

Rehanan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I was hesitant in making a thread about this but I can't seem to find an accurate reason for what is happening.

I do weekly water changes and my water is always crystal clear

I started noticing my filter cartridge was getting a bit on the old side and needed replacing, given I had a rapid brown algae problem.

I changed the filter, then two days later did a decent water change.

It has now been 5 days since the water change and my water is super murky/cloudy.

I know I may have triggered a minI cycle due to the large water change, the new cartridges and I did shift my substrate around a lot to kind of dust of the brown algae BUT according to all the forums i've read, this should have really been on its way to clear up by now.

Thoughts?

Water Parameters are

pH 7.5
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 10

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You probably did cause a minI cycle changing your cartridge. It sounds like a bacteria bloom and should clear up in a few days. In the future your better off swishing your cartriges in a bucket of tank water and after they start to fall apart keep the frame of the cartridge and wrap it with some poly fill batten and also if you have room drop a mesh bag of ceramic media into the bottom or behind the cartridge to be sure you always have a place for your BB to live to avoid this happening in the future. Good luck!

OP
R

Rehanan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
kallililly1973 said:
You probably did cause a minI cycle changing your cartridge. It sounds like a bacteria bloom and should clear up in a few days. In the future your better off swishing your cartriges in a bucket of tank water and after they start to fall apart keep the frame of the cartridge and wrap it with some poly fill batten and also if you have room drop a mesh bag of ceramic media into the bottom or behind the cartridge to be sure you always have a place for your BB to live to avoid this happening in the future. Good luck!
I only changed the cartridges because I noticed my water not filtering through properly.

I don't know what to do now.. its been a week and still no sign of the bloom clearing up.

Thanks for the advice! I will look into dropping a mesh bag into the bottom w ceramics.

OP
R

Rehanan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
HI guys, I hope this gets brought back into current threads.. my cloudy/milky water is not going away.. its been two weeks. No ammonia or nitrites present.

Minxxy

Well Known
Reaction score
You can buy a clairifier to lock the particulates in and you filter can can remove, I had to use one on my puffer tank.

OP
R

Rehanan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Minxxy said:
You can buy a clairifier to lock the particulates in and you filter can can remove, I had to use one on my puffer tank.
Do you know what could be causing it to begin with?

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Rehanan said:
Do you know what could be causing it to begin with?
I agree with what was already said. You completely lost your cycle be changing your filter media. And re-cycling a tank can take weeks. Granted...the bacterial bloom shouldn't usually last 2 weeks. You did do a lot to the tank though. By changing media and doing a heavy cleaning of the substrate all at once you surely lost a lot of BB. The majority of the BB rests in the filter itself and some of it is on the other surfaces of the tank like the substrate. The big water change had nothing to do with it as very little of the BB is in the water column itself.

What are you using to test your water? Have you tested it multiple times during these 2 weeks?

How many water changes (if any) have you done during these 2 weeks? What kind of filter are you using and what size is the tank? What kind of stock?

ETNsilverstar

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I agree with bizaliz. You may have lost your cycle completely (or at least mostly) and it's causing you trouble.

However, for the cloudy water, I keep purigen in my filter and it cleared up the water when I first had issues within a day. I think it's more important to keep an eye on water parameters at this point than to worry about clearing up the cloudy water. What kind of fish do you have in the tank?

OP
R

Rehanan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
bizaliz3 said:
I agree with what was already said. You completely lost your cycle be changing your filter media. And re-cycling a tank can take weeks. Granted...the bacterial bloom shouldn't usually last 2 weeks. You did do a lot to the tank though. By changing media and doing a heavy cleaning of the substrate all at once you surely lost a lot of BB. The majority of the BB rests in the filter itself and some of it is on the other surfaces of the tank like the substrate. The big water change had nothing to do with it as very little of the BB is in the water column itself.

What are you using to test your water? Have you tested it multiple times during these 2 weeks?

How many water changes (if any) have you done during these 2 weeks? What kind of filter are you using and what size is the tank? What kind of stock?
I changed my cartridges, but I retained the sponges and I have done this before with no dramas. The big clean was necessary, I had a massive outbreak a month back with internal parasites that were just not going away.

I am now starting to wonder whether it is my plants or driftwood causing this.

ETNsilverstar said:
I agree with bizaliz. You may have lost your cycle completely (or at least mostly) and it's causing you trouble.

However, for the cloudy water, I keep purigen in my filter and it cleared up the water when I first had issues within a day. I think it's more important to keep an eye on water parameters at this point than to worry about clearing up the cloudy water. What kind of fish do you have in the tank?
So strange, I thought the same by my water parameters are:

pH 7.5
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5

I have only changed the water one at about 40% since. I have tetras and guppies.

It's a 10 gallon tank with two guppies and 6 tetras.

ETNsilverstar

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Rehanan said:
I changed my cartridges, but I retained the sponges and I have done this before with no dramas. The big clean was necessary, I had a massive outbreak a month back with internal parasites that were just not going away.

I am now starting to wonder whether it is my plants or driftwood causing this.

So strange, I thought the same by my water parameters are:

pH 7.5
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5

I have only changed the water one at about 40% since. I have tetras and guppies.

It's a 10 gallon tank with two guppies and 6 tetras.
Hmm...definitely strange then. Can you take a pic of the tank? And how long has it been running?

OP
R

Rehanan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ETNsilverstar said:
Hmm...definitely strange then. Can you take a pic of the tank? And how long has it been running?
Sure! Here’s the tank! Lights off it’s got s slight green tinge like tea BUT when lights on it’s definitely a milky shade.

The pictures don’t do it justice. It’s worse in person. I can’t see fish that hand on the back wall.
9302E702-B2B1-4C6E-862C-140268C022A9.jpeg
B4B3F554-D8C5-4819-95E6-C5B800D04055.jpeg
1D245209-B9C2-460A-B1E2-6DFDC2AE0984.jpeg
5AB7F3C1-2CD0-4B0B-9AF5-3E092867F7CD.jpeg

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Keep testing your parameters and if your not seeing any ammonia or nitrites leave it alone its just the BB getting back in order from removing the cartridge. It will clear up in a bit. If there are any trace amounts of Ammonia or Nitrites the do a small WC 10-20% treat with Prime for the entire volumn of the tank and retest the next day. And let us know the updated readings.

OP
R

Rehanan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
kallililly1973 said:
Keep testing your parameters and if your not seeing any ammonia or nitrites leave it alone its just the BB getting back in order from removing the cartridge. It will clear up in a bit. If there are any trace amounts of Ammonia or Nitrites the do a small WC 10-20% treat with Prime for the entire volumn of the tank and retest the next day. And let us know the updated readings.
Thanks! I'll keep you guys updated.

I mean the pics, you can't even see that there are 6 other fish in there LOL.

So far no traces of ammonia or nitrites.

Fish are acting quite aggressive though - not sure if this means anything.

Cichlidude

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Cloudy Water:

The water in your tank might be cloudy due to dirt, sand, fish waste, particles, plant matter, and uneaten food floating around. Moreover, the particles might be way too small for your filter to catch. The stuff making your aquarium water cloudy can’t even be detected or stopped by the filter.

Try the information here first (Make sure you have fine filter floss in your filter):

Build a DIY Water Polisher here. I built this and it works great in large tanks:

Here is the .

For smaller tanks, try this:

Diy Micro Gravel Vacuum/water Polisher

If all the above does not work… this will:

Start with 1 drop per gallon first, not the 2-4 drops recommended to start. Your water will get cloudy for about an hour or so and then start to clear. Make sure you have in your filter. If you need another/higher dose 24-48 hours later, fine. All Acruel F does is clump the free floating particles together so your filter can now pick this up. Guaranteed this works wonders.

Keep your tank crystal clear?

Green water? Get a (13 watt) and set it to the lowest flow rate so the water stays in contact with the light the longest. Will clear in about 7 days then remove it.

OP
R

Rehanan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
kallililly1973 said:
It's been quite some time and I'm still running into the same issue.. it cleared up EVER so slowly after three weeks or so... I did a water change because problem seemed to have resolved.. and I also used SEACHEM CLARITY but it didn't appear to work.

Anyway, post water change (I didn't mess with anything else just a simple water change) the water got cloudy again and five days later it is still cloudy..

Could it possible be a dying plant?

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Rehanan said:
It's been quite some time and I'm still running into the same issue.. it cleared up EVER so slowly after three weeks or so... I did a water change because problem seemed to have resolved.. and I also used SEACHEM CLARITY but it didn't appear to work.

Anyway, post water change (I didn't mess with anything else just a simple water change) the water got cloudy again and five days later it is still cloudy..

Could it possible be a dying plant?
It could be that but you would think your parameters would be off. Do you have a glass container you can put some of the water your using into and see if it’s cloudy right out of the tap.

OP
R

Rehanan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
kallililly1973 said:
It could be that but you would think your parameters would be off. Do you have a glass container you can put some of the water your using into and see if it’s cloudy right out of the tap.
I use a glass jug to pour it back into my tank from the bucket, water seems pretty clear - I actually use ice cold water to ensure its pure and clear and let it sit with conditioner until it hits room temp. I have never had a cloudy water issue before.

Either way, wouldn't the clarity have fixed that issue? The fact that the clarity isn't working is concerning me a little bit too.

OP
R

Rehanan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
HI guys,

I am starting to get really frustrated by this.

The issue has now subsided, I have literally tried everything now.

-.- I don't know what else to do, but its really discouraged my whole 'fish keeping' hobby.

wintermute

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Did you have cloudy water when you first started the tank? I'm wondering if your clogged up filter was actually trapping much finer particals than the new cartridge is able to...

I never had crystal clear water until I started to put polyester batting in my filter. I now use this stuff it is important to make sure it is chemical free. I use two layers of it in the top of my box filter. in between the coarse sponge and my bio-rings. It made a big difference to my waters clarity.

I also have purigen, which also makes a difference, but I think using some batting or filter floss depending on what will work in your filter will make a difference.

Tony.

OP
R

Rehanan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
wintermute said:
Did you have cloudy water when you first started the tank? I'm wondering if your clogged up filter was actually trapping much finer particals than the new cartridge is able to...

I never had crystal clear water until I started to put polyester batting in my filter. I now use this stuff it is important to make sure it is chemical free. I use two layers of it in the top of my box filter. in between the coarse sponge and my bio-rings. It made a big difference to my waters clarity.

I also have purigen, which also makes a difference, but I think using some batting or filter floss depending on what will work in your filter will make a difference.

Tony.
Hi, thank you for your message! When this tank was first started (at the beginning of this year) my water was clear as ever!

That may have been the case with the new cartridge, however - its been quite some time now (maybe even equal amount of time that I had my old one) so the 'new' cartridge would technically be just as full.

New Threads