Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Persistent Cloud/murky Water

Discussion in 'Cloudy Aquarium Water' started by Rehanan, May 22, 2019.

1. Rehanan Valued Member Member

I was hesitant in making a thread about this but I can't seem to find an accurate reason for what is happening.

I do weekly water changes and my water is always crystal clear

I started noticing my filter cartridge was getting a bit on the old side and needed replacing, given I had a rapid brown algae problem.

I changed the filter, then two days later did a decent water change.

It has now been 5 days since the water change and my water is super murky/cloudy.

I know I may have triggered a mini cycle due to the large water change, the new cartridges and I did shift my substrate around alot to kind of dust of the brown algae BUT according to all the forums i've read, this should have really been on its way to clear up by now.

Thoughts?

Water Parameters are

pH 7.5
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrites 0
    Nitrates 10

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  2. kallililly1973 Well Known Member Member

You probably did cause a mini cycle changing your cartridge. It sounds like a bacteria bloom and should clear up in a few days. In the future your better off swishing your cartriges in a bucket of tank water and after they start to fall apart keep the frame of the cartridge and wrap it with some poly fill batten and also if you have room drop a mesh bag of ceramic media into the bottom or behind the cartridge to be sure you always have a place for your BB to live to avoid this happening in the future. Good luck!

3. Rehanan Valued Member Member

I only changed the cartridges because i noticed my water not filtering through properly.

I don't know what to do now.. its been a week and still no sign of the bloom clearing up.

Thanks for the advice! I will look into dropping a mesh bag into the bottom w ceramics.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  4. Rehanan Valued Member Member

Hi guys, I hope this gets brought back into current threads.. my cloudy/milky water is not going away.. its been two weeks. No ammonia or nitrites present.

5. Minxxy Valued Member Member

You can buy a clairifier to lock the particulates in and you filter can can remove, i had to use one on my puffer tank.

6. Rehanan Valued Member Member

Do you know what could be causing it to begin with?

7. bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

I agree with what was already said. You completely lost your cycle be changing your filter media. And re-cycling a tank can take weeks. Granted...the bacterial bloom shouldn't usually last 2 weeks. You did do a lot to the tank though. By changing media and doing a heavy cleaning of the substrate all at once you surely lost a lot of BB. The majority of the BB rests in the filter itself and some of it is on the other surfaces of the tank like the substrate. The big water change had nothing to do with it as very little of the BB is in the water column itself.

What are you using to test your water? Have you tested it multiple times during these 2 weeks?

How many water changes (if any) have you done during these 2 weeks? What kind of filter are you using and what size is the tank? What kind of stock?

8. ETNsilverstar Well Known Member Member

I agree with bizaliz. You may have lost your cycle completely (or at least mostly) and it's causing you trouble.

However, for the cloudy water, I keep purigen in my filter and it cleared up the water when I first had issues within a day. I think it's more important to keep an eye on water parameters at this point than to worry about clearing up the cloudy water. What kind of fish do you have in the tank?

9. Rehanan Valued Member Member

I changed my cartridges, but I retained the sponges and I have done this before with no dramas. The big clean was necessary, I had a massive outbreak a month back with internal parasites that were just not going away.

I am now starting to wonder whether it is my plants or driftwood causing this.

So strange, I thought the same by my water parameters are:

pH 7.5
    Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 5

I have only changed the water one at about 40% since. I have tetras and guppies.

It's a 10g tank with two guppies and 6 tetras.

10. ETNsilverstar Well Known Member Member

Hmm...definitely strange then. Can you take a pic of the tank? And how long has it been running?

11. Rehanan Valued Member Member

Sure! Here’s the tank! Lights off it’s got s slight green tinge like tea BUT when lights on it’s definitely a milky shade.

The pictures don’t do it justice. It’s worse in person. I can’t see fish that hand on the back wall.     

12. kallililly1973 Well Known Member Member

Keep testing your parameters and if your not seeing any ammonia or nitrites leave it alone its just the BB getting back in order from removing the cartridge. It will clear up in a bit. If there are any trace amounts of Ammonia or Nitrites the do a small WC 10-20% treat with Prime for the entire volumn of the tank and retest the next day. And let us know the updated readings.

13. Rehanan Valued Member Member

Thanks! I'll keep you guys updated.

I mean the pics, you can't even see that there are 6 other fish in there LOL.

So far no traces of ammonia or nitrites.

Fish are acting quite aggressive though - not sure if this means anything.

14. Cichlidude Well Known Member Member

Cloudy Water:

The water in your tank might be cloudy due to dirt, sand, fish waste, particles, plant matter, and uneaten food floating around. Moreover, the particles might be way too small for your filter to catch. The stuff making your aquarium water cloudy can’t even be detected or stopped by the filter.

Try the information here first (Make sure you have fine filter floss in your filter):

Build a DIY Water Polisher here. I built this and it works great in large tanks:

Here is the pump mentioned in the video.

For smaller tanks, try this:

Diy Micro Gravel Vacuum/water Polisher

If all the above does not work… this will:

Acruel F

Start with 1 drop per gallon first, not the 2-4 drops recommended to start. Your water will get cloudy for about an hour or so and then start to clear. Make sure you have fine filter floss in your filter. If you need another/higher dose 24-48 hours later, fine. All Acruel F does is clump the free floating particles together so your filter can now pick this up. Guaranteed this works wonders.

Keep your tank crystal clear? Chemi Pure Blue

Green water? Get a UV Sterilizer with flow control (13 watt) and set it to the lowest flow rate so the water stays in contact with the light the longest. Will clear in about 7 days then remove it.