Filter Flow Diffusers

TedsTank

First of all I swear that all the crust looking white areas are NOT on the tank or filters!!!! OMG....going to throw the camera away!!...but here is some easy help. I am using 12 inch clear plastic mailing tubes and cut for desired fit and looks.

1.) They are 2 inches in diameter.

2.) I leave both ends open with some course filter media inserted.

3.) Mailing tubes come with caps so you could have the current directional.

4.) For the HOT Magnum type filter only a hole is cut to fit the L shaped return. The diffuser is just slipped on the tube. (they are very light weight.)

5.) For the Aquaclear type filter A.) a slot must be cut. 3 sides...2 narrow and a long cut the width of the filter return. B.) the 4th side of the slot must be folded to slide up under the filter return. C.) a nick can be cut into each end of the tube and a large rubbr band will attach it to the filter. (my photo shows the prototype...using duct tape!!...been running 8 months now so why fix it)

6.) I did this so the water flow does not swish my plants around. The 2" diameter give a much broader gentle output and DOES NOT AFFECT the input flow of your filters....they can continue to run at max.

Again so sorry for the scrungy, scaley, unkept neglected look in the pics...the flash was too bright I guess.

Oh yea, and please use the filter media of some sort....fish the like currents might invade the tubes!!!

Shawnie

you are amazingly tekkie! LOL ..great job with photos toooooo !
I'm not that smart and just use filter floss lol...I'm going to sticky this if you don't mind sir?

TedsTank

no problem please do...it really works....and clean the scaley looking trash that shows!!! I'm horrified at the looks!!! It's like having company and getting attacked by dustbunnies that know were vacuumed....lolol

Aquarist

Thank you Ted! A great DIY!
Ken

eiginh

That helps a lot!

Borisbbadd

I didn't have any of the mailing tubes, so I used a small soda pop bottle.

So far I've done it on one of my betta tanks, works great !!!

I left it open at both ends, but it diffuses the water really well. Now that he is'nt getting blown around, he seems to like hanging around the front of the tank a lot more.

Later on today, I will do my other two tanks.

Many thanks for this great idea.........

Randy

TedsTank

Great modificationt threre!!! If anyone just can't find a tube to use....I have plenty to spare....but ya can't beat a small soda type plastic bottle..recycle..!!!!! yahoo!!!

Remember to put some filter media in the openings to keep the fish out!!!!

Borisbbadd

I just did my 29 gal,

With the water diffused out to the sides, I was able to use tall plants to hide all the plumbing.

So cool..............

Thanks again,

Randy

Elodea

If you don't have filter floss, can you just cut a chunk out of a filter cartridge?

diy guy

Borisbbadd said:
I just did my 29 gal,

With the water diffused out to the sides, I was able to use tall plants to hide all the plumbing.

Very clever idea. never considered haveing a filter diffuser. but can clearly see the benefits. such as hiding the plumbing I'm always trying to hide that stuff but filter current makes it almost in possible. Think I have a new project.

Martin 75g

Other then changing the dirction of current that's coming from your filter.... what's the benifit to this ?

Aquarist

Hello Martin,

Defusing the filter flow works well when the filter may be too strong and the fish are being blown around the tank by the filter current.

Ken

Martin 75g

ok that makes sence, but does litlery nothing to the filtration process, other then allow O2 in the diffuser

Henri

Can someone help me with this? What is this thread about? I already have a filter, is this about " making " a new one or what? Again, sorry for my ignorance!

Lucy

Henri said:
Can someone help me with this? What is this thread about? I already have a filter, is this about " making " a new one or what? Again, sorry for my ignorance!
HI Henry
The answer to your question is in this thread:

Aquarist48 said:
Defusing the filter flow works well when the filter may be too strong and the fish are being blown around the tank by the filter current.
It's one way to modify your existing filter for the above reason.

Everythingzen

So essentially this is attaching a tube or bottle to the end of the outlet pipe that is stuffed with filter floss/sponge, to lessen a strong current? That's great. I'm going to have to do something like this. I turned down the taps on 2 canisters, but I'd rather another option. This might well be it!

PHP

Everythingzen said:
So essentially this is attaching a tube or bottle to the end of the outlet pipe that is stuffed with filter floss/sponge, to lessen a strong current?
Basically, yes.

fishyfriends

hhow coud I do thins for my filter? what did you attach this with. duct tape??

Lucy

With your size filter you can use a plastic water bottle.
Cut the bottom and top off, make a slit length wise down one side.
Slip it over the outake.
It should stay in place.
If not you can use tape or a rubberband.

antidevil12

nice tip

sliderdkp

How would I use filter floss, to avoid the tube contraption? Would putting some floss in an fish net work, attached to the end of the flow output? And what is the best thing to attach this with, for the tank environment?

sliderdkp

My fix was to zip tie betta grass to the tank directly over the flow output. Works well and looks good!

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom