Outrageous!! Betta breeding with over 458 baby bettas

philam

HI everybody. I’m new to fish lore but I’m sure not new to the bettas. I’m a big betta fanatic and I just love this species. I just wanted to share my breeding project for this year. It is a Nemo Galaxy x Red Galaxy HMPK. Both parents are imported. The babies have hatched on 3/3-4/2020. They’re about a week old now. Wish me luck!

before free swimming stage:
1D1E3CA6-2234-479A-B311-A1DED3FDBE5C.jpeg
this is what they look like now

4F8FD5E4-BD34-4857-80AA-4D86932EAF8B.jpeg
82E0D55E-0473-4011-9157-F1A9527C1235.jpeg

FinalFins

Welcome and good luck!

PascalKrypt

Quite the entrance!

Pics of the parents? I'd love to see regular updates

philam

Quite the entrance!

Pics of the parents? I'd love to see regular updates
I forgot to put the parents but here they are.

this is the female. She’s a red galaxy multicolor
s
E1F007CF-896D-4695-859F-D72D6F2FFCE7.jpeg
0E0B2683-F119-4E23-8291-BA28FF3E5A7A.jpeg

this is the Dad. He’s a Nemo Galaxy

6FB2EE6F-58D1-4FDC-8EA6-2D3C71DF30F0.png
2868C8E9-E322-4B35-8914-E6BA4447A30C.png
50CB4141-9E15-477D-9942-4B26241523C9.png

PascalKrypt

They are both absolutely stunning. I can't wait to see the results.

I guess you wouldn't happen to live in continental Europe, now would you?

welcome and good luck keep me up dated on how the fry go cheers john

aoiumi

Gorgeous fish! I will be watching and will be excited to see these babies grow up! Good luck!

philam

They are both absolutely stunning. I can't wait to see the results.

I guess you wouldn't happen to live in continental Europe, now would you?
I can’t wait either and no I don’t live in Europe. I stay in USA.

Just updating for this weekend. They’re almost 2 weeks old now and I like what I’m seeing so far. They will be exactly 2 weeks old next week on Wednesday or Thursday and they’ll be ready to move into their grow out tank and I’ll also give an update on that.
039B6061-0AD2-46EA-9CBC-BEC73B839175.pngbase Color is actually starting to come in and I could see it In a certain angle. Lol

904F8531-7517-44ED-A04F-6A8D82493F8E.jpeg
B00FB4F2-975E-4814-85C2-4BE8BA4272F2.jpeg
A662E444-B714-4A97-916B-9EEEA35EEA8A.jpeg

SnookusFish

Wow! What kind of pattern/colouration are you expecting/hoping for with these?

PascalKrypt

Good spawn o.o that's a very solid number!

philam

Wow! What kind of pattern/colouration are you expecting/hoping for with these?
Probably a more intense Nemo Galaxy.

philam

Quick update. They’re just about almost 2 weeks old and I’ve already introduced the grindal worms to them and they seem to like it and were all over it. Dorsal, Anal and caudal fin are developing already. It looks like they’re growing fast to me. Lol in the next couple of days, they’ll be moved to a bigger tank and I’m expecting at least 50 of baby bettas O.O
2FCE1EA8-472B-4353-95BD-F20909ACBAE3.jpeg
CA6A245D-49F1-4A4E-BDF0-D21F833B1573.jpeg

C11A2CE5-DD57-415C-BA11-99385194B7C7.jpeg

SnookusFish

Looking good! What are you gonna fo with 50 bettas?!?haha

philam

Looking good! What are you gonna fo with 50 bettas?!?haha
Offer them here if they want it as long as they’re in USA or my local or online but we’ll see how they’ll develop first. It’ll be interesting.

Yesterday we transferred the baby bettas to their grow out tank. I was very shocked when I counted my bettas. It turns out that I have a little over 458 baby bettas from this spawn which is surprising and very big. They are all very healthy and happy. They are growing at a nice rate. Currently they are eating grindal worms and baby brine shrimp. I’ll need a lot of help to re home these when it is time to do so. Stay tuned and follow me along with this.

aoiumi

Yesterday we transferred the baby bettas to their grow out tank. I was very shocked when I counted my bettas. It turns out that I have a little over 458 baby bettas from this spawn which is surprising and very big. They are all very healthy and happy. They are growing at a nice rate. Currently they are eating grindal worms and baby brine shrimp. I’ll need a lot of help to re home these when it is time to do so. Stay tuned and follow me along with this.
Oh man, I'm excited to see these guys. Depending on the pattern I might even want one.

PascalKrypt

Wow, what an amazing spawn!

Would you mind sharing your process - like what you fed them and when and how often, how many water changes and how much %. Water params, temp, etc.? I'm very curious to take notes.

philam

Oh man, I'm excited to see these guys. Depending on the pattern I might even want one.
Well it Looks like you’ll have a lot of patterns to pick from!! Hopefully you’ll get some to give a home in the future. I’m leaning towards a red galaxy Nemo pattern but who knows. Marble genes are interesting to work with.

Wow, what an amazing spawn!

Would you mind sharing your process - like what you fed them and when and how often, how many water changes and how much %. Water params, temp, etc.? I'm very curious to take notes.
I fed them with Baby brine shrimp as soon as they’re free swimming which is on the third day after they have hatched. I’ll feed them twice a day on the days that I have to work and on my day off, I’ll try to feed them 4 times a day due to the size of the spawn. The Key is to give them a freshly hatched BBS. Don’t save the BBS for later because they lose their nutritional value. Due to the enormous size of this spawn, I never had a problem with leftover of BBS. In fact I don’t think I’m feeding them enough. About 1 1/2 week old, I fed them a little bit of grindal worms to see if they could take on it which they did and I’ve been feeding them with it since for once a day along with BBS 2x a day.

I never changed the water in the spawn tank. Just put a lot of Catappa or Indian almond leaves for higher chance of survival rate and for the benefits and no filter. I had to use a heater due to the cold weather from where I’m at. After two weeks, they go into their grow out tank which is what I just did last night.

PascalKrypt

I fed them with Baby brine shrimp as soon as they’re free swimming which is on the third day after they have hatched. I’ll feed them twice a day on the days that I have to work and on my day off, I’ll try to feed them 4 times a day due to the size of the spawn. The Key is to give them a freshly hatched BBS. Don’t save the BBS for later because they lose their nutritional value. Due to the enormous size of this spawn, I never had a problem with leftover of BBS. In fact I don’t think I’m feeding them enough. About 1 1/2 week old, I fed them a little bit of grindal worms to see if they could take on it which they did and I’ve been feeding them with it since for once a day along with BBS 2x a day.

I never changed the water in the spawn tank. Just put a lot of Catappa or Indian almond leaves for higher chance of survival rate and for the benefits and no filter. I had to use a heater due to the cold weather from where I’m at. After two weeks, they go into their grow out tank which is what I just did last night.
Interesting.
Sounds like you have some very fecund parents. Good genes, good matching pair.

philam

Interesting.
Sounds like you have some very fecund parents. Good genes, good matching pair.
I kind of wish I separated them earlier because this spawn is too big. I probably only have less than 10 fatalities when they were less than 1 week old. Now that they’re 2 weeks old, they’re only going to get stronger and have a higher chance of surviving.

Joshaeus

WOW! Huge spawn. I had a smaller (but still large) spawn from my banded bushfish (Microctenopoma fasciolatum) last year...never got a good count, but well over 100 fry. Unfortunately, I lost the entire brood to an ammonia spike at the 8 week mark clearly a 10 gallon is not large enough to safely hold that many 1-2 cm juveniles.

FathomtheFish

Wow! Congratulations! That's a HUGE spawn.

UnknownUser

Why no filter or wc’s in the other tank (before 2 weeks old tank)

How do you do a wc in the grow out tank without sucking them all up?

This is amazing! I have no idea how I’d ever handle that many fish! What size is the grow out tank??

philam

WOW! Huge spawn. I had a smaller (but still large) spawn from my banded bushfish (Microctenopoma fasciolatum) last year...never got a good count, but well over 100 fry. Unfortunately, I lost the entire brood to an ammonia spike at the 8 week mark clearly a 10 gallon is not large enough to safely hold that many 1-2 cm juveniles.
Aw men that’s too bad. You should have put a lot of floating plants in the tank to suck all the impurities in the water. I’m putting a dwarf water lettuce in my tank to control the ammonia and also lots of IAL along with frequent water changes.

Wow! Congratulations! That's a HUGE spawn.
Thanks!! I hope everything goes well

Joshaeus

Aw men that’s too bad. You should have put a lot of floating plants in the tank to suck all the impurities in the water. I’m putting a dwarf water lettuce in my tank to control the ammonia and also lots of IAL along with frequent water changes.
I had been doing daily 40% WC's...I missed a few days and then this happened. The tank had a thick cover of duckweed and large quantities of hornwort. Will have to try almond leaves next time to see if that helps.

philam

Why no filter or wc’s in the other tank (before 2 weeks old tank)

How do you do a wc in the grow out tank without sucking them all up?

This is amazing! I have no idea how I’d ever handle that many fish! What size is the grow out tank??
Baby bettas are very vulnerable and fragile when they just hatched and up to 4 weeks old. Small changes in the water could be risky that’s why I never change water in the spawn tank.

I haven’t changed the water in the grow out tank yet because I just transferred them yesterday.

I’ll change the water in the grow out tank with a siphon hose and carefully siphon with the other end of the hose partially pinched to control the water flow and stop it if there’s any nearby fish.

I had been doing daily 40% WC's...I missed a few days and then this happened. The tank had a thick cover of duckweed and large quantities of hornwort. Will have to try almond leaves next time to see if that helps.
Oh wow. It’s very important to observe the fries at early stage because they’re very very fragile. Maybe those few days that you had missed had caused an ammonia spike. We learn and move on.

philam

Weekend update guys. They’re just a little over 2 weeks old and I’ve noticed that some of them have already developed their labyrinth. They would come up to the surface and gulp some air like an adult betta which is oddly funny
C3D3FC59-98A8-47F6-A99F-63DC089DCA04.jpeg

F3C9077B-CE56-4106-AB8F-17BE3ED85FBC.jpeg
5F65C009-EACD-446B-BA3C-BD873FA8239F.jpeg

PascalKrypt

Starting to see some fluorescent colours flash too!

jake37

When do they become the little devils that whack everything in sight - is that only upon sexual maturity ? If so can you keep them juvI for life ?

PascalKrypt

When do they become the little devils that whack everything in sight - is that only upon sexual maturity ? If so can you keep them juvI for life ?
Nope, happens way sooner than that. They can start to damage each other at around 2 - 2.5 months in my experience, though if its only girls it may stay peaceful for 3 - 4 months. If you have a good tank and some luck, sister sororities can just establish hierarchy and learn to live together. No such luck with boys.

TWiG87

Wow, good luck, that’s a lot of Bettas! I also agree, both parents are beautiful

Danny002

What part of the US are you in? I might be interested in one of them!

philam

Wow, good luck, that’s a lot of Bettas! I also agree, both parents are beautiful
Thank you!!

What part of the US are you in? I might be interested in one of them!
Pennsylvania!!

Rev

Wow! This is awesome! Following this action now. Can't wait to see what color patterns they have. I'm usually not crazy about plakats but I love the nemo plakats.

philam

Starting to see some fluorescent colours flash too!
Yeah I know! They’re growing fast!

Hm, I'm in FL. That's a little bit far lol
I’ve shipped bettas in Florida before!

Wow! This is awesome! Following this action now. Can't wait to see what color patterns they have. I'm usually not crazy about plakats but I love the nemo plakats.
Nemo Plakats are really pretty! I like them a lot! It’ll be interesting what kind of patterns I’ll see!

Danny002

I’ve shipped bettas in Florida before!
Maybe we can work something out!

jake37

I might be interested in a pair of female while they are youngish - can't pm you. Anyway things are always changing - I just need something that loves to eat guppy frys.

philam

Maybe we can work something out!
For sure. Just keep updated in this post and we’ll watch them grow up!

I might be interested in a pair of female while they are youngish - can't pm you. Anyway things are always changing - I just need something that loves to eat guppy frys.
Idk why you can’t pm me but they’re too young for now. Let’s keep updated with this post. Ill try posting some updates twice a week or so! Stick around!

FinalFins

You get personal message use at 50 posts

philam

You get personal message use at 50 posts
Thank you for the answer!

philam

Update guys. They’re or going to be 3 weeks old tomorrow. I have noticed that their ventral fins are already out and developing.

Big clump of babies

EC5CA691-EADE-496A-8573-658CC743349A.jpeg

0FF70612-65A2-48CA-B139-8414D99EE795.jpeg

philam

Weekend update guys. They’re 3 1/2 weeks old now. I’ve noticed that some of them gets mean when they’re full of food. They’d hang out by the plant and claim it as his/her “territory” and square up to nearby siblings.
EEC6BF75-84D0-432A-B925-869F4D62AA82.jpeg

8E8D0C8C-A4A4-40B7-98A3-FE55072921C3.jpeg

88F81762-BE5C-4392-84B3-E88292659803.jpeg

PascalKrypt

What tank size do you have them in right now - you moved them right?

jake37

Seem crowded for a bit of meanness...

StarGirl

Wow that's a lot of fish!

Lauraaac

They're so cute!!!

mattgirl

I certainly don't envy you the job of taking care of all these little guys and girls once you have to start separating them

Danny002

They're looking good! I'm just curious, when will they be old enough to go out to new homes?

philam

What tank size do you have them in right now - you moved them right?

yes. The photo angle is biased but the tank that they’re in is 25 gallon high. There’s a lot of room at least for now.

Seem crowded for a bit of meanness...
That’s just the photo angle that makes it look like it’s too crowded but it’s not.

They're looking good! I'm just curious, when will they be old enough to go out to new homes?
I’d say when theyre 2.5 months old and older but obviously when they’re only 2.5 months old, they won’t have the full color yet if they marbled but you get to see it grow up and develop its color and tail. I’d have to say that they’ll have their full color when they’re 4.5 - 7 months old.

I certainly don't envy you the job of taking care of all these little guys and girls once you have to start separating them
Yeah thanks for the reminder. At least I only have to worry about the males. The girls can live together until they find their new home.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
philam
Want To Sell USA Bred Betta Fish
Replies
Views
philam
Replies
Views
PNWBettas
Replies
Views
AquaCaitlin
Replies
Views
Katie13

Did You Know...

Most of the different sections (sub-forums) have a list of sticky threads at the top of the first page which you should DEFINITELY check out. They are some of the best and/or most informative threads here!

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom