Nart's Lagoon Build - Round 2!!!

Nart

Quick feeding video update.

stella1979 can you spot the starry blenny?

Last edited:

Culprit

How long did it take your goby to come out and start just being around and not scared when you come by? Oh and I just joined R2R to join the ETRC reefing club (East Tennessee) and saw your thread immeaditly so I'm reading through. I'll have to post! Oh and Culprit was taken so I'm C-Reefer now. Get it? Sea Reefer? Also C first letter of name? Oh hohohoho i'm so smart lol

Nart

Culprit My first yasha goby was a beast. I think it started running the place like the next day I got it lol. But this yasha goby took a longgg time to come around. I think it didn't even come out much for the first two weeks when I got it home. probably closer to the 2 month mark it started coming out more. I train all my fishes that pump off + tongs = food. So each time I feed it, I try to get closer and closer to it with tongs without scaring it away. LOL at your C-Reefer. Pretty hi-larious haha.

I can't even explain to ya'll how beautiful and breath taking this clam is.
Look at that mantle extension!
IMG_9771.jpg
IMG_9772.jpg

Culprit

I'll definitely give him time. Hes still pretty skittish but slowly getting better I think. I can walk around the room as long as I don't make any sudden movements and stay at least 5-10 feet away. Now that your yasha's comfortable does it just stay out in the tank and only go in its burrow if it gets scared or at night? I'm trying to teach it that pumps off plus syring equals food. Generally if I squirt some in the mouth of his burrow he'll dart out and get it even while I'm still moving my hand around in the tank.

I love your clam nart!! I bet its so much prettier in person too. is that a duncan on the left of the clam? Did you get it as a single head or did you frag it? I love the way it has that blue fringe on the edges, and then the speckled center!

Nart

that's a good sign. at least you know its eating. Mine didn't even come out for the first two weeks lol. I thought it was dead at one point.
Mine comes out occasionally. I think mostly it's hanging with the pistol shrimp digging away. I'd probably say, I see mine about once every other day (not counting feeding time). It's especially special when you see the pistol shrimp come out... it makes you kind of freak out and grab everyone around you to see too haha.

That is a Duncan to the left. I got it for free from a local reefer. It was a tiny little head about 0.75" when I got it. I had traded my original big 5 polyp Duncan way back.. and regretted ever since. Loved that coral. But, good thing that you are mentioning about that Duncan. So when I got it, I wasn't sure it was going to survive. ask grantm91 we were discussing corals and I told him how annoyed I was at the Duncan because it wasn't opening up since I got it... It was not happy for about a month, some days it didn't open, some days it did. I was finally able to tell that it was getting too much light cus I had it right at the middle of my tank. I dropped it down about 2 inches and a few weeks later it finally opened up. Good example of leaving the coral alone for the most part... and now it's even sprouting a baby polyp. Btw - that Duncan is in a medium - high flow area. it gets hit by the flow deflected from the glass quite a bit. No issues for it!

Culprit

Haha yeah I see him about 2-3 times a day. He'll be out just his head sticking out of his burrow if its quiet all day. Sometimes when I feed him if I stay still for a few minutes I'll see the shrimp! And yeah, its always super cool. Ive a few times after a really quiet school day been able to sneak up on him and he'll be all the way out of his burrow swimming around some and the shrimp will be out and about working on his burrow and finding food.

I love my Duncan already. Super cool the way it feeds and exhibits such a great feeding response. Its always out before lights even turn on too! Ahhhh gotcha. Hopefully it continues growing and gets big like your last one! I'd say mine is medium flow too.

Nart

Looks like you found a perfect spot for your Duncan. Your corals will tell you if they are happy or not. Glad you are enjoying the Duncan. It's a lot of fun keeping em

Nart

Sharing some pics from the club meet today. Julian Sprung gave a presentation on Natural Disaster Planning for your reef tank.

Frag stands up for shopping!
IMG_9808.JPG

Julian, InappropriateReefer, DC Reefer
IMG_9809.JPG

D.C. Reefer interviewing Julian
IMG_9810.JPG

Julian giving his presentation
IMG_9811.JPG

Got some grape Calurpa from InappropriateReefer.
IMG_9812.JPG

Came home and my girl was greeting me at the magnifying glass.
IMG_9815.JPG

All around fun day chit chatting and won some acro raffles

Nanologist

Rock on! Was he speaking on preparing your reef tank for things like hurricanes or storms that disrupt our electricity or natural disasters within the eco of our tanks?

Nart

Nanologist spot on GB. Julian lives in Miami, FL. Hurricane Irma hit his area and he lost electricity for 6 days. It was his first time giving this presentation as he felt inspired to talk about this. Man... he lost just about his entire tank at home in his 350g, fish and lots of corals. He lost his clowns that he first bought in '95... and stuff like that. He lost some of his stuff at his two little fishy store too. But yeah, interesting topic.

How's your snow trip btw?

Nanologist

Nanologist spot on GB. Julian lives in Miami, FL. Hurricane Irma hit his area and he lost electricity for 6 days. It was his first time giving this presentation as he felt inspired to talk about this. Man... he lost just about his entire tank at home in his 350g, fish and lots of corals. He lost his clowns that he first bought in '95... and stuff like that. He lost some of his stuff at his two little fishy store too. But yeah, interesting topic.

How's your snow trip btw?

What a learning experience... for him and all the fans.

Little snow yet as I'm only in Omaha, NE now, but I got to the best outlet mall in all USA. You'll get pics of Beaver Creek Resort tomorrow then Vail on Monday.

Culprit

Nice Nart! I'm inquiring about when the ETRC meets and where. Do you have to pay to be a member? I'm thinking I'll definitly visit a few times as a guest before becoming a member if I want to since I have to pay a fee. Sounds like a lot of fun though!

Nart

Most clubs require a yearly fee. Of like $20. If you do one time guest visits they normally charge like $10 entrance fee. Soooo.... lol.

Nart

New toy coming next week super excited. Time to graduate from the AI Prime HDs.
IMG_9824.jpg

grantm91

Nart does the aI prime arm fit it ? Also would the 15 cover a IM25 I thought about the 15 before as it boasts a big spread for a little unit, I just thought maybe a 15 may struggle with my depth ?

Nart

Nart does the aI prime arm fit it ? Also would the 15 cover a IM25 I thought about the 15 before as it boasts a big spread for a little unit, I just thought maybe a 15 may struggle with my depth ?

Na. The arm doesn't fit it. Different mounting system.

XR15s Pro will cover a IM25 just fine. Not for a SPS dominated tank though. Plenty of power for a 24x24 with 12" depth. I only got the XR30 Pro so I don't have to rebuy lights when I get my bigger tank. That way I can just buy another XR30 Pro down the line and I'll be done with lighting.

Culprit

Duuuudddeeee. Sweet lights. I can't wait to see what these babies are like after the AI Primes were so good

Nart

Can you say Squamosa Clam?

IMG_9828.JPG
IMG_9829.JPG

Culprit

So cool!! I bet this one is going to be gorgeous just like the derasa!

Nart

Let's talk about some updates with ya'll.

As some of you know, I have a freak accident with my montI caps. I lost them all in a matter of several days.
I did something out of the norm, which you should learn from me, always wash and clean all parts of your body going into the tank. I had various lotions on my forearm, which I normally don't put any on... arm went in the tank to water change and move some corals around, accidentally dropped my big hydnophora SPS on the montis.. yeah. didn't turn out so well. It's always hard for me to talk about losing corals, so just make sure you clean your hands/arms, well before they go into the tank.

Otherwise, the rest of the tank looks okay now.
Upon coming home that day of losing my montI caps... I saw this, made me chuckle a little.
Looks like the Starry Blenny found himself a Temperpudic bed haha. The Derasa clam has really gotten used to it's surrounding and not too phased with the fishes rubbing up on it.
IMG_9841.jpg

The squamosal clam on the other hand has been a challenge.
It's been very temperamental. The slightest sneeze near the tanks makes it react and retract lol. It has also moved itself all over the tank too. Hopefully it'll settle down soon.
IMG_9848.jpg

Look what I just went and picked up (had UPS hold the package)
sooooooo excited to get home and play around with this. though I won't be able to put it on the tank till tomorrow as the RMS mount doesn't arrive until then.
IMG_9855.jpg
IMG_9858.jpg

That's all for now.
Ya'll excited to see the new lights on the IM25??!!!!!!

Nart

Man.... the person left out the micro USB cord with the Radions. I had to sift through my entire place to find a "non-data" transfer micro USB cord to plug it into my laptop and get it working. What a pain.

Unit itself was a little dirty too... salt creep central. So I took it apart and started cleaning.
IMG_9865.JPG

Ta-da! Got it all back together and programmed. Ready to rock n roll tomorrow as soon as I get the mount.
IMG_9867.JPG

grantm91

Oh man, think I’m as excited as you that's the best thing you ever got nart !!!

Nart

YAS YAS YAS! I'm not even thinking about work today. I just want to get my meetings over with, so I can swing by the UPS store, grab the mount, go straight home and install this puppy!

stella1979

I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO EXCITED NART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT'S RADION DAY!!! A day late.... Guess I'll quit complaining over a missing cable for my Apple TV remote (no extras, we're PC peeps around here but for the TV thingy.) What a bummer about your cable. I'd have been so aggravated yesterday!!!

I can't believe that I missed weeks of posts here! Didn't even get the tag about finding the blenny! I did spot him though, and truly enjoyed that video.

I have to say, the story of Julian losing so much brought a tear to my eye.... but also made me swell with pride. I had 6 days without power post Irma too, used a bunch of gasoline, but kept those car batteries charged and didn't lose a dang thing. Sunlight and flow baby! Granted, that worked for a 20g. So, so sad to hear of the 350g and the clowns. I believe the 350 is his local species tank. Love that tank! Did he mention if the side fuge with the mangrove survived?

Nanologist

I'm not sure which emoticon captures how I feel. Maybe all of these:

Nart going pro... grats!

Nart

OFF WORK EARLY!!!!
Radion lights here I come!!!!!!

Nart

First glance right after install. Have to head to dinner so I'll mess with it more later. What do y'all think?
IMG_9882.JPG

Nanologist

It really fits that tank perfectly even though it's definitely overkill for most nano tanks(unless filled to the brI'm with SPS). That mount looks beefy too. I love the aesthetics of it.

grantm91

As GB said, it looks great, can't believe the size man, your ready for anything with that haha, you ascended to another realm of Reefing nart. e4a405ca67cfd2e3e09bad55ba5b2656.jpg

Culprit

Whoa... that looks amazing. I guess we now have a pro here on FL haha

stella1979

Lookin' sweeeet Nart! Congrats my friend!

Nart

grantm91 love that thug life picture hahaha

I haven't had much time to enjoy it. Pretty busy afternoon and night. But I did notice the mount droops down a little. Being, it's not level at all. I looked it up and some people have issues with it so I'll give ecotech a call tomorrow.

First impression of the lights. It's a beast. Seriously. It is brightttt. I barely had it at 17% intensity and my derasa clam jumped off from its spot instantaneously. Currently I have it at 11% max during the day. Jeez lol. It's blinding to even put it at 100%.

Asides from that, the tank is well lit! No shadowing whatsoever. Wow. Makes me want to go full SPS now for it lol. The colors are amazing when you dial in the blues.
Check out my rainbow Acan. With the blues on this is the same color I see in person as well

IMG_9894.JPG

So far. I'm loving the new light!

stella1979

Awesome Nart! Just think about the future and a big tank under that beast... it's gonna be epic! Love, love, love the acan.

Nart

stella1979 this is going to make you go d'awww...

So ever since I got this new black and white scooter, I can never find where she sleeps at night. Typically, I like to account for all my fishes before I go to bed and in the morning lol. It's a PTSD thing ever since my first jumper back when I had my 15 gallon going. Usually with feeding this scooter at 6AM, I'll flip on the kitchen lights and I'll see her come out from the back of the tank and spot feed her. But where is she sleeping?? This morning... I flip on the kitchen lights and walk over to check on the tank. Out comes Ms. Scooter from the sand! (in the middle-front of the tank) I had no idea that scooter dragonettes burrowed themselves at night. The red ruby scooter never did it. It was the cutest thing ever. She popped her head out of the sand, saw that it was me, and just jumped out of the sand. She continued to shake her whole body free of sand and waited for her meal (kind of like a puppy). I tried to get a picture of her covered in sand, but it was too late.

stella1979

Wish I could love that like 17 times... I may be asking a lot at 6am, but I'd love some pics or a video!

Coincidentally, I was just remarking to the family how our new betta begs like a puppy, (Scorch does the same), and I LOVE IT!!!! Been feeling a little low on the fish front lately, so it's really nice to have fish that are not afraid to beg.

Nart

Wish I could love that like 17 times... I may be asking a lot at 6am, but I'd love some pics or a video!

Coincidentally, I was just remarking to the family how our new betta begs like a puppy, (Scorch does the same), and I LOVE IT!!!! Been feeling a little low on the fish front lately, so it's really nice to have fish that are not afraid to beg.

Oh trust me... I've already started to think of the logistics of setting up my tripod and phone in the morning before I flip on the light and see if I can catch it on film for my next tank video.
It's pretty neat right? For fishes to exhibit that kind of behavior. I might sound like a tree hugger, but with some of my readings on fishes and what not...

"Recent scientific experiments have shown that fish aren’t the simple, emotionless animals we once assumed, but are in fact complex, conscious and capable of a full range of emotions. Fish do in fact feel pain in a way which is different but comparable to other animals." ~By Jeremy Gosnell

Anyways, I'm glad that betta went home with you. I know you and your fam will take good care of it.
Imo, call up your LFS and order a paired pistol goby and pistol shrimp Melissa

stella1979

I've not done the reading, but experience has taught me that fish are more intelligent than lots of folks give them credit for. I'm the feeder of all our fish, so every last one of them exhibits more trust with me than they do with others. To me, that's all I need to prove that they are complex and conscious of their environment and care. I'll be looking up Mr. Gosnell during quiet time today, sounds like an excellent distraction.

Nart

Went to my LFS today to get some more phytoplankton by Reef Nutrition. Love this stuff. Along with trying some new frozen foods.
IMG_9902.JPG

Squamosa clam doing well!
IMG_9900.JPG

stella1979

Hmmm, are you sure that's all you got? JK... jk... You know, I have this stuff called Can O' Cyclops, and yeah, it's in a can with a pull top and a little spoon. It was an add on type of thing back when I was ordering all kinds of stuff for a freshwater tank. I haven't opened it yet, but perhaps I'll try it when I have an empty frozen tray to preserve the bulk of it in. I guess I'm a little unsure about canned food for fish.

Nart

stella1979

Ahh... nothing like a good 'ol water change and admiring the clean tank afterwards.
IMG_9910.JPG

Culprit

Ahhhh water change sunday. Yup I'm in the middle of one, just waiting for the new water to heat up so I can finish up and actually change the water. Its crazy I spend 80% of the "water change" scrubbing glass and stuff and only like 20% of actually changing the water . Then I've got to go do water changes on my 2 Freshwater .

stella1979

Well, well, well... in mentioning the can of cyclops, it created a link which leads to the Amazon page to the exact product I have. There aren't a lot of reviews, but a few people mentioned how they use this as a replacement to the much loved Cyclopeeze. Perhaps I'll give it a try after all.

Errrr... I watched a movie and ate early big game snacks this afternoon, and still have a water change to do.

Nart

Well, well, well... in mentioning the can of cyclops, it created a link which leads to the Amazon page to the exact product I have. There aren't a lot of reviews, but a few people mentioned how they use this as a replacement to the much loved Cyclopeeze. Perhaps I'll give it a try after all.

Errrr... I watched a movie and ate early big game snacks this afternoon, and still have a water change to do.

Hmmm... you'll have to let me know how you like the can-o-cyclopeeze. I used the frozen Cyclopeeze over the weekend. It's like literally squirting thousands of pods into the tank lol. Lucky I have a decent amount of fishes and snails that was eating it.... because I can see how this can become a problem for tanks that don't have a whole lot going on.

stella1979

I will let you know. My original plan for the stuff was to feed it to a Freshwater community of nano fishes, but I'm still working on that. By the time I get that done, the reef tank should have more stock, and I can't lie, probably more corals too!

Nart

stella1979 yeah - I think that food will do well for like, community type tanks, or maybe just adding a dash of it to your reef roid feeding regiment.

Me over here... I tossed in a whole cube into my feeding glass bowl and was like "holy smokes... this is a lot of pods" If I had to guess.... 10,000 pods easily? I dunno... but it was a lot. I only fed a few squirts to the fish and corals and I tossed the rest away. I'll have to cut down the cubes in 1/4 so I can properly feed and not waste much.

Nart

Time to finally ditch the Jebao SW-2 power heads and get some more Ecotech equipment
MP10 here I come!
IMG_9892.jpg

Culprit

I'll take your Jebao! ANd Stella can have the other haha.

Nart

Whoo hoo! MP10 just got here
IMG_9994.JPG

Culprit

Can't wait to see it in the tank! I think you'll love the flow

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom