Nart's Lagoon Build - Round 2!!! - Page 13

Nanologist

Wow. This arrived quick. Ordered it on Tuesday from Marine Depot. Arrived tonight.
Excited to try this salt after I get back from a holiday trip! 56lbs... ups must've been **** delivering it lol

IMG_9187.JPG
Haha! You too!? I also got my Tuesday order from them.

anarchy

Glad to hear the tanks doing good other than the coloration issue.

Culprit

Awesome! I can't wait to see if you have anything different?

Nart

IMG_9288.JPG

I couldn't help it y'all... but I promise you this little guy will not die of starvation in my tank.
Saw this red ruby scooter at my LFS they said it's starting to eat frozen too. Tiny little guy and and tank has been crawling with pods as I feed my tank with photo almost daily. I couldn't walk away from this one...

I've also swapped clowns in the tanks. So my pair of clowns went into the 10G and the Picasso clown is now in the IM25 this will make it way easier to setup a feeder station to feed the scooter with live, frozen, and dry food. My pair of clowns are wayyy too aggressive in feeding now. So they'll be a lot better by themselves.

Will get y'all a tank pic soon!

stella1979

He's beautiful! Oh my goodness, I can't wait to see side pictures of the little guy. We know you'll do right by him Nart.

Nart

stella1979 thank you for the kind words. He or she is beautiful indeed. That thing cost me a pretty penny too...

Bought some more pods and phyto while I was at my LFS. Haven't visited them in awhile.

IMG_9289.JPG

Here's a pic of it checking out the feeding dish already.

IMG_9292.JPG

stella1979

Wow! I haven't seen a lot of these guys, but I'll say his coloration is the best I've seen. He's impossibly adorable for such a tiny guy. I had no idea just how bright the yellow is on their undersides.

What's the deal with bottled pods anyway? There's live pods in the bottle right now? How long is it good and how do you store it? I've only got Kent's Phyto so far, I keep it in the fridge and think it's good for a year once opened. I only use it twice a week when mixed with roids to target feed. The corals really love this mix, but I haven't really put any thought into increasing the pod population, nor have I purchased pods. I'm curious how those bottles work. If you just keep in that stuff does it allow you to keep a picky mandarin? Surely not, as you were doing much more work than simply dosing the tank with a bottled product daily.

Nart

Yeahhh Stella. I was shocked to see that coloration too. That's why I was like fudge it. Plus, he's a tiny little guy. I'll be able to keep him in the IM25 till I firm up my moving plan.

Bottled pods are live copepods yeah. Typically the pods sold in bottles/bags can be refrigerated for up to a week or two. But, typically people who get them, will dump the entire bottle/bag into the tank when the lights are off. They'll get a chance to hide and your dragonet will be fat and happy for like a week lol. Then you'll either buy more pods or culture them.

A small bottle like what I got is definitely not enough for a dragonet. Probably good for a few days till it goes hungry again. I got it to help boost my pod population. I'm hoping since he's so small right now that I have enough pods to sustain it and re-produce quick enough where I shouldn't have to supplement too much. I'll know soon enough in a week from looking at its belly.

If you get those gallon copepod bags that contains thousands of pods... you'll probably be good for two weeks or so. So about $60-90 a month in pods if you were to buy.
If you spent that much in pods a month you'll have no problem keeping pods.

I didn't have the space to culture that much pods at a time so I had to do all the extra stuff. The hardcore dragonet keepers have tubs and tubs of copepod cultures at all times on top of what they have in their tanks to keep a Mandarin fat and happy

Nart

Like I said... I will forbid the red ruby scooter starving in my tank. Just purchased 1/2 gallon worth of pods just in case.

IMG_9294.jpg

Nart

Morning shot of the red ruby.

IMG_9303.JPG

I haven't been this excited about a fish in awhile! If it works out, the red ruby is going back with me when I move. Oh yeah, turns out the red ruby scooter that I have is a girl. The way they sex scooters is by their dorsal fin. The males have a huge 'flag' up top. Whereas the female scooters have a very small black fin up top.

stella1979

I just can't get enough! She is too cute!!! I shall think of her as Ruby Rupee, after my love for LoZ of course!

Edit: Back to pods.... Why might someone in my situation, (as in without a pod eating machine), want to increase the pod population? I feel like I want to, but can't say why other than increasing diversity. Scorch might like that. Does dumping a bottle of pods in the tank mess with parameters at all? And without a pod eating machine, might I expect them to thrive and populate so I wouldn't have to keep adding?

Nart

stella1979 ain't she adorbs? I was doing more reading last night and it turns out that red ruby scooters are a lot harder to keep in home aquariums than other scooters. No one knows why but they said 6-7 out of 10 don't make it. I have my fingers crossed. My LFS said they've had her for a few weeks in their tank and it's fat and plumpy.

Stella, someone in your situation asides from adding pods to help with bio diversity and food for Scorch... pods are actually part of the clean up crew too that's not often mentioned. Pods help eat up all sorts of tiny food/detritus that gets left in the water column or in crevices. And you are exactly right. Since you don't have a pod eating machine they'll thrive and reproduce so as long as you feed phytoplankton to your tank once or twice a week. Also, something worth noting, you don't want to go crazy with substrate vacuums and tank cleaning each week. Otherwise you could lower your bio-diversity by a lot when you siphon it out. Often times people will only substrate vac like 1/4 or 1/3 of their sand each week or so. That way it'll give them a chance to reproduce. The cycle for pods to reproduce is about every 10 days if I remember correctly.

I stir and blow my sand bed throughout the week. But since my nutrient numbers are fairly low I only vacuum part of the sand bed each week.

I've dumped lots of bottles in my tanks before. Never had an issue. What I do though, is take the amount of water I'm going to dump in, out first. So if I know I'm dumping in 16oz of pods... I'll extract 16oz of tank water out first. The bottled pods are in saltwater and I believe the salinity varies from 1.021 to 1.025 or something. So since my next order of pods are about a 1/2 gallon. I'm going to test salinity first and if it matches closely I'll dump it all in. If the bottled pods have a lower salinity I'll probably dump them in within 3 different sessions.

Btw- pods are very hardy and can handle salinity and temperature swings. However, I do float them for about 15-30mins depending if I get them from my LFS of online before put it in my tank jic.

Jayd976

hmm now I'm wondering if I want to add some pods to by 75 for some biodiversity.... I won't be keeping anything that will really eat them either..

Nart

Jayd976 I personally would seed a bottle of pods in your tank. Buy some phytoplankton too

Jayd976

Also won’t be keeping coral at least not any time in the near future.

Nart

So this happened tonight...

IMG_9328.JPG
Went into the dealer to service my Rav4... walked out with a 2018 4Runner TRD off-road

Nanologist

IMG_9328.JPG
Went into the dealer to service my Rav4... walked out with a 2018 4Runner TRD off-road
Drop the mic...

Grats bud!

KristaD

IMG_9328.JPG

You sure do have a lot of stuff “happen”

stella1979

Daaaaannnnggg!!!

Love a 4Runner and LOVE the color. Gunmetal grey? Congrats my friend!

(Agreed with Krista .... and GB!)

Nart

Talking about mic drop... haha. I absolutely love my wife's encouragements to get the 4Runner. She said "you've been wanting the 4Runner. Might as well start paying it off now then later" done deal! My monthly payments are actually a little less than my RAV4. But... financing it for 6 years.

Stella- the color is called Magnetic Gray Metallic. I fell in love once I saw it.

Thanks all! Going to be modding this later to be a off-road beast!

Okay.. back to reefing.

Got some stuff in to start on my dosing pump project. Just waiting on the dosing pump from BRS.

IMG_9331.JPG
The glass voss bottle will hold the dosing liquid. Got the tube rack holder, which will hold the dosing tubes and now my ATO tube too. Lastly, murloc connector for dosing tubes and a wifI app enabled smart plug as the timer to set dosing schedules.

Nart

Update on red ruby. She's doing just okay. I've been watching her all hours of the day for the past few days and she was barely pecking at anything. So my guess is she's been stressing for the past few days in a new tank, thus not eating as well. Finally this morning, I saw her being more brave and exploring the tank. She's also now pecking a lot more at the rock and sand. So I know she's eating now. I can see pods crawling all over my glass and rocks, so I know there's food in there. I also tossed in some white worms throughout the tank too jic.

Here's the pic I was able to get of her. She's still very shy and zips away when I approach the tank too quickly.

IMG_9332.JPG

IMG_9334.JPG

stella1979

Aww, thanks for more Ruby pics! I hope she gets fat and comfy real soon Nart.

Super cool to see your dosing project too!

Nart

Thanks Stella! I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Also, the pods just arrived. So I'm getting it all in the tank.

IMG_9346.JPG

Culprit

Wow I missed so much!! Congratilations on everything! Man, I'm gone for 4 days and you get a car AND a dragonet! Goodness. Jk though this is totally awesome. Hopefully the little girl thrives, and I know you won't let her not thrive. I hope you get her eating live food soon too. Love the color on that car, its beautiful! That's gonna be a beast with a few mods to go off road.

All your corals look so vibrant!

stella1979

Went to two LFS's today, and as much as I'm scared to, I can't help but check in on their dragonets. The first store had a fat & happy green spot mandarin chillin' in a tank with a large red starfish. The second one had the green mandarin you see so often, and I don't know if he'll make it until tomorrow. He was super thin and listing like a boat with a ripped up hull... kinda twitchy too.

I'm so happy to have a dragonet buddy in you Nart. Sending all my well wishes to you and Ruby!

Nart

Water change day since I've been off schedule. Also parameter test across the board too

IMG_9360.JPG
Alk =7.7
Calcium = 440
Magnesium = 1315
Nitrate = 0.2
pH = 8.2

Parameters are pretty good across the board with the change. I'm quite satisfied though, some of my SPS corals arnt too happy with the changes, so it might take a little for them to adjust.

Nart

Look whose chilling together.
I was a bit worried about the starry blenny being territorial, but so far so good.

IMG_9367.JPG

Nart

Got the BRS 1.1ml doser setup!

IMG_9378.JPG

IMG_9376.JPG

Shannah

Omg! In love w/ the Red Ruby and the 4runner! But more so the red ruby

Nart

Are you kidddddding me?!!!
Deep blue, tank and stand for $200 a member from my local club must look away. Must look away.

IMG_9406.jpg

I owe y'all a nice FTS soon. Sorry. Just been lazy setting up the tripod, gel filter, AI lighting and all.

Update on red ruby! She's doing great. Fat and chunky. She's also chomping away at the worms. I feed her worms twice a day along with rotating chaeto from the back to the display so she has pods to catch throughout the day.

stella1979

Look away Nart... just look away. I can hardly believe the discount for a few hours work though!!!!

Thanks so much for the update on Ruby!!! Been waiting and hoping for that good news!!!!!

Nanologist

Haha! May the force be with you... be strong!

Happy to hear Ruby eating well. Can't wait for more pics.

grantm91

Cant wait for the gel filter shots, I love seeing what you see when the blues are up high, the filters capture the alien glow you otherwise couldn’t. I think il partake in a gel filter shot later, as I got a single new zoa polyp today.

Nart

Oh mann.. I told the wife about the tank and she said "why don't you get it?" and y'all know what I did? Resisted. I didn't want to rush my big tank build. So yeah...

Anywho. Red ruby is getting much more brave. Even feeding with the gang too (the gang consists of the Picasso clown, blenny, goby, and pistol shrimp). She's getting more aggressive in feeding so it makes it easier not having to shoo away everyone else. Typically, for dragonets, the moon and stars have to be aligned for them to eat lol.

I snapped a few pic right after worm feeding time. Jic y'all had missed her she's really been my main focus in terms caring for the tank.

IMG_9412.JPG

IMG_9415.JPG

stella1979

Great pics Nart! I did attempt to find the blenny.

I see you have some of those zoas like Grant's... with a cranberry red skirt, next to the Blasto. What do you call those?

Culprit

Oh speaking of mandarins... I saw a beautiful fat happy blue mandarin at a fish store I went to with my grandparents. She was in a tiny tank, mabye 5 gallons, but it was a whole wall of them, mabye 15 and all linked. copepods alllll over and it was the only fish/invert/coral in there except for a few shrooms

Nart

stella1979 I'm not sure what kind of zoas those are. I got em when I first started. Those are the ones that's been through a few rounds of zoa pox. Only now is it starting to grow lol.

Nart

This little guy started hosting in some weird stuff.. Favite, and now GSP lol

IMG_9447.JPG

Culprit

Do you think one of those will take care of the bryopsis? Its spreading pretty fast. Or do you think I should get 2 or 3 and mabye take one or two back when its gone?

grantm91

No number of those will take care of bryopsis, they will keep it in check mayybe to a degree along with low nutrients. The best thing to take care of the bryopsis properly is to kill all the cells, not saying don’t get the crab, frankly you should get one as they are mega cool, and narts crab does do a lot of work on his bubble algae, but its not an answer to bryopsis, I need to treat mine too. Also that looks like the porcelin crab, its his female emerald I believe that eats The algaes.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
fishkeepinginaisa
Replies
Views
ChrissFishes01
Replies
Views
Fishproblem
Replies
Views