Movie Talk - Page 3

CaptainAquatics

Ok I am going to rant a bit here about my favorite movie series: How To Train Your Dragon

When you hear that title you may think: are you talking about that kids movie that came out a while ago? Yes, it may be directed towards kids but I feel that adults can appriciate the film to, if not for the story if for the animation. HTTYD is the most beutifully animated movie I have ever seen and while the story writing does struggle in some areas, *cough* side characters *cough*, for the most part it does a very good job at making a thrilling yet emotional story, and (quick spoiler here) the ending of the third movie I think demonstrates this best. Also may I say that (SPOILERS FROM HERE ON OUT!!!) the two most beautiful scenes in my opinion are two scenes from the third movie. While the third may not be the best story wise I think that the animation was the best, especially in two scenes: The scene where toothless and light fury were flying above the clouds, and the scene where hiccup and astrid first go down to the hidden world. I like how the youtuber “Hello Future Me” put it for the first scene (and this may not be verbatI'm as this is from memory but I fully agree with it): “the most stunning scene in the third movie was the scene where toothless and light fury were flying above the clouds, it is ambitious to make a character that can’t talk but it is even more ambitious to make that character be able to show enough emotion and to make your audience know exactly what he is thinking, and they really tried this by giving that character a scene all to him self, no words were spoken in this which was really nice. I also noticed another thing which may or may not have been intentional, through the entire scene we never see the sky above or the ocean below, that gives you a kind of Weightless-ness where you don’t know what’s up or down, and I really like that”. I fully agree with this, he also mentions the score which was consistently great throughout all three films. The second scene I mentioned hit me not because I was bewildered by the animation and them going down and see the hidden world exposed, although that was great, it was really the song that did it for me. The song they paired with it was so perfect and it always seems to simply capture my imagination. I know that I am ranting here I just don’t think the HTTYD series gets enough credit (although it does get quite a bit of credit!). I just feel like people should try the movie even if they think they won’t like it. BTW if you want to watch the review “Hello Future Me” did there is a link at the bottom. I think he does a very good job at reviewing it, and I agree with him on a lot of what he says.

Amazoniantanklvr

"Yesterday is not ours recover but tomorrow is ours to win or lose.”.

CaptainAquatics said:
Ok I am going to rant a bit here about my favorite movie series: How To Train Your Dragon

When you hear that title you may think: are you talking about that kids movie that came out a while ago? Yes, it may be directed towards kids but I feel that adults can appriciate the film to, if not for the story if for the animation. HTTYD is the most beutifully animated movie I have ever seen and while the story writing does struggle in some areas, *cough* side characters *cough*, for the most part it does a very good job at making a thrilling yet emotional story, and (quick spoiler here) the ending of the third movie I think demonstrates this best. Also may I say that (SPOILERS FROM HERE ON OUT!!!) the two most beautiful scenes in my opinion are two scenes from the third movie. While the third may not be the best story wise I think that the animation was the best, especially in two scenes: The scene where toothless and light fury were flying above the clouds, and the scene where hiccup and astrid first go down to the hidden world. I like how the youtuber “Hello Future Me” put it for the first scene (and this may not be verbatI'm as this is from memory but I fully agree with it): “the most stunning scene in the third movie was the scene where toothless and light fury were flying above the clouds, it is ambitious to make a character that can’t talk but it is even more ambitious to make that character be able to show enough emotion and to make your audience know exactly what he is thinking, and they really tried this by giving that character a scene all to him self, no words were spoken in this which was really nice. I also noticed another thing which may or may not have been intentional, through the entire scene we never see the sky above or the ocean below, that gives you a kind of Weightless-ness where you don’t know what’s up or down, and I really like that”. I fully agree with this, he also mentions the score which was consistently great throughout all three films. The second scene I mentioned hit me not because I was bewildered by the animation and them going down and see the hidden world exposed, although that was great, it was really the song that did it for me. The song they paired with it was so perfect and it always seems to simply capture my imagination. I know that I am ranting here I just don’t think the HTTYD series gets enough credit (although it does get quite a bit of credit!). I just feel like people should try the movie even if they think they won’t like it. BTW if you want to watch the review “Hello Future Me” did there is a link at the bottom. I think he does a very good job at reviewing it, and I agree with him on a lot of what he says.
Yeah, I like those movies too!
What is he wearing!?!?

AJE

FinalFins said:
Has anyone seen Detective Pikachu? Ryan Renolds was a real good voice actor in that one.
I’ve seen it. First Pikacho movie I’ve ever seen. I liked it a lot

Cheesecake

I haven't seen any of the John Wick movies, though I hear they're amazing.

Alien and Aliens anyone?

Amazoniantanklvr

monsters vs aliens! lol Joking...…...

AJE

I’m watching Davy Crockett right now. I didn’t know Buddy Ebsen was in it

Mongo75

Lost interest in Star Wars after the first 3, Episodes 4, 5 and 6. They dragged them out too far apart. Now The Lord of The Rings and The Hobbit were done right. Two related stories,Three movies each, and each of the three released with a year of each other. That's how you keep interest in a saga.

Cheesecake

I cannot believe that they're making a 2nd Avatar. That's gotta be the biggest grab for money I've yet seen. The first one was so unique and good that there is NO WAY it can be improved.
And could Independence Day PLEASE stay dead? The first one was great. Why did they have to go and muddle it up?

CaptainAquatics

Amazoniantanklvr said:
Yeah, I like those movies too!
What is he wearing!?!?
After a minute or two he changes to normal clothes

AJE

Canaculus said:
I cannot believe that they're making a 2nd Avatar. That's gotta be the biggest grab for money I've yet seen. The first one was so unique and good that there is NO WAY it can be improved.
And could Independence Day PLEASE stay dead? The first one was great. Why did they have to go and muddle it up?
Disney has no original ideas.

Cheesecake

AJE said:
Disney has no original ideas.
I know right?? Why do you think they're making live action versions of all of their movies?

AJE

Canaculus said:
I know right?? Why do you think they're making live action versions of all of their movies?
Let me think of a movie they haven’t made/ are planning on making into live action... hmmm

Frisbee

Mongo75 said:
Lost interest in Star Wars after the first 3, Episodes 4, 5 and 6. They dragged them out too far apart. Now The Lord of The Rings and The Hobbit were done right. Two related stories,Three movies each, and each of the three released with a year of each other. That's how you keep interest in a saga.
The Lord of the Rings was a wonderful trilogy movie. But oh boy, The Hobbit move was FLOP. It was horrible. I supose you might not understand if you’ve never read the books, but in the movies they completely ruined the plot. The went WAYYYYY to far with the creative licensing thing. They stretched it out, added a bunch of stuff that wasn’t supposed to be there, took out a bunch of stuff that was supposed to be there. Made up a bunch of new characters, ruined or replaced many of the characters that where supposed to be there. Yeah... it was just bad. The only characters that were really accurate to the book were Bilbo, Gandalf, bomber and balin.

toeknee

Which remakes do all think were actually good? I feel like 75% of new movies are just remakes and 90% of those have been awful.

Frisbee

toeknee said:
Which remakes do all think were actually good? I feel like 75% of new movies are just remakes and 90% of those have been awful.
The Lion, The Which and the wardrobe. It is not a new movie, but the chronicles of narnia is technically a remake of the really old BC version (no animation so it was basically done with puppets and was barely better then black and white).

With the new narnia series, the lion, the which and the wardrobe was pretty good, prince caspian ehhh, not so much, the voyage of the dawn treader was the worst (not near as bad as The Hobbit though! :joyful

Rev

LittleBlueGuppy said:
The Lion, The Which and the wardrobe. It is not a new movie, but the chronicles of narnia is technically a remake of the really old BC version (no animation so it was basically done with puppets and was barely better then black and white).
That's a great one. Love that whole book series really well done. Usually I find book series drag out and flop at the end but book 7 was phenomenal. The movie was fantastic they really did it justice and it stayed true to the book.

Frisbee

Rev said:
That's a great one. Love that whole book series really well done. Usually I find book series drag out and flop at the end but book 7 was phenomenal. The movie was fantastic they really did it justice and it stayed true to the book.
Yes, the horse and his boy was one of my favorites (really really entertaining and I laugh every time I read it). I don’t know, puddleglum in the silver chair was great. They were all good.

Rev

LittleBlueGuppy said:
Yes, the horse and his boy was one of my favorites (really really entertaining and I laugh every time I read it). I don’t know, puddleglum in the silver chair was great. They were all good.
I wasn't too crazy about that one, but it was good. Very interesting to see a different perspective on everything. I read the series chronologically so the magicians nephew first, and that being the first one from a completely different perspective was fascinating. The only book I didn't enjoy was the silver chair. Didn't finish it I found it too boring, nothing was happening. Might have to give it another go though.

AJE

LittleBlueGuppy said:

With the new narnia series, the lion, the which and the wardrobe was pretty good, prince caspian ehhh, not so much, the voyage of the dawn treader was the worst (not near as bad as The Hobbit though! :joyful
I don’t really like any of the Narnia movies, maybe because I watched them so much I got tired of them to the point where all the characters are sooooo annoying IDK

toeknee said:
The Aladdin remake was pretty good. It is pretty hard to ruin Aladdin though

juniperlea

AJE said:
I don’t really like any of the Narnia movies, maybe because I watched them so much I got tired of them to the point where all the characters are sooooo annoying IDK
Moving pictures change the written word. The ability to read the written word surpasses the moving picture.

Amazoniantanklvr

CaptainAquatics said:
After a minute or two he changes to normal clothes
Thank god! Lol

Jerome O'Neil

toeknee said:
Anyone else seen John Wick 3 yet? Action movies got boring and repetitive to me but this movie has some of the best and most unique fight scenes I've ever seen. Keanu Reeves and Halle Berry did some seriously intense training for this movie and it shows. Stunt doubles were only used in the most dangerous scenes.
John Wick 1 I had absolutely low expectations, and came out amazed at how awesome a film it was.

John Wick 2 I was very excited for and came out disappointed at how bad it was.

John Wick 3 I had no expectations for, but the dog fight scene was awesome sauce.

Mongo75 said:
The Hobbit was terrible. It was one book, and not a long one at that. When they made LotR, they had to pull material out because there was too much written material. The Hobbit was the opposite. They had to stick stuff in so it could be a three part cash grab.

The Tolkien movie was really good.

Rev

Jerome O'Neil said:
The Hobbit was terrible. It was one book, and not a long one at that. When they made LotR, they had to pull material out because there was too much written material. The Hobbit was the opposite. They had to stick stuff in so it could be a three part cash grab.

The Tolkien movie was really good.
If you watch the movie and don't hold it to the book it's great. If you do it sucks. I watched the hobbit trilogy before reading the book and loved it, thought it was fantastic. But wondered about how they got so much from one book. Then I read the book and was like oh. They took their creative license on that one. I still enjoy watching them, I just look at them as something different. Almost like a fan fic just a professional movie.

Amazoniantanklvr

Anybody know of any good fish movies? And I've already seen finding nemo/dory to don't say that plz. Lol

Rev

Amazoniantanklvr said:
Anybody know of any good fish movies? And I've already seen finding nemo/dory to don't say that plz. Lol
The incredibly Mr Limpet! Man I love Don Knotts he was incredible. What a legend.

Mongo75

I agree with all that's been said about the Hobbit. On it's own, the series wasn't bad, but compared to the book...Nah

On another note, What about the Harry Potter flicks? I haven't seen them mentioned yet. I found then entertaining, being a Muggle

Rev

Mongo75 said:
I agree with all that's been said about the Hobbit. On it's own, the series wasn't bad, but compared to the book...Nah

On another note, What about the Harry Potter flicks? I haven't seen them mentioned yet. I found then entertaining, being a Muggle
The Harry Potter movies are great. My whole family watches them, they're a lot of fun to watch. One of the few great examples of movies based on books being done right. Wish we lived in a world like that I wanna teleport places in an instant. However I am very tired of Rowling trying to retcon everything. Can't stand that.

AJE

Rev said:
The incredibly Mr Limpet! Man I love Don Knotts he was incredible. What a legend.
Now that you said that, I can’t get the “I wish I were a fish” song out of my head

MomeWrath

AJE said:
The Aladdin remake was pretty good. It is pretty hard to ruin Aladdin though
I can't bring myself to watch the Aladdin remake. As much as I adore Will Smith... No one will ever, ever, EVER be the Genie but Robin Williams (God rest his soul).

I can appreciate the moviemaking magic of the LOTR series, but OMG I had to watch the first one three times to stay awake through the whole thing, and now I only like The Return of the King.

Avatar was made even more great at the time because I kept a reef tank and I knew exactly where they got half of their flora inspirations from. I was like "Oh look! Palys!" " Oh look! Christmas tree worms!"

I loved Maleficent, and I was expecting to be disappointed in Mistress of Evil but I loved it too.

coralbandit Dirty Harry needs no further discussion lol. Besides, Unforgiven was the best Eastwood movie. I liked his Westerns better. Pale Rider was another great one. I didn't get any of your line references lol... How about one for you: "She done R-...U-...N-...N-...O-...F-...T..."

AJE

Magicpenny75 said:
I can't bring myself to watch the Aladdin remake. As much as I adore Will Smith... No one will ever, ever, EVER be the Genie but Robin Williams (God rest his soul).

I can appreciate the moviemaking magic of the LOTR series, but OMG I had to watch the first one three times to stay awake through the whole thing, and now I only like The Return of the King.

Avatar was made even more great at the time because I kept a reef tank and I knew exactly where they got half of their flora inspirations from. I was like "Oh look! Palys!" " Oh look! Christmas tree worms!"

I loved Maleficent, and I was expecting to be disappointed in Mistress of Evil but I loved it too.

coralbandit Dirty Harry needs no further discussion lol. Besides, Unforgiven was the best Eastwood movie. I liked his Westerns better. Pale Rider was another great one. I didn't get any of your line references lol... How about one for you: "She done R-...U-...N-...N-...O-...F-...T..."
Yes. Robin Williams is irreplaceable as the genie but if someone had to replace him Will Smith would do the best job

coralbandit

Magicpenny75 said:

Oh brother where art thou
1 Heartbreak Ridge
2 Under Siege
3 Book of Eli

Cheesecake

Who's excited for Quiet Place II? I know I am.
Anybody here seen The 6th Sense? Fantastic movie. The twist at the end really got me.
So yeah, in terms of CGI, acting, and just movies in general, the Hobbit trilogy is amazing. Unless you compare it to the book. And let's be real, no one is ever going to make a book to movie adaption that stays to the story 100% and satisfies the "It's not as good as the book" people.

Coradee

Canaculus said:
And let's be real, no one is ever going to make a book to movie adaption that stays to the story 100% and satisfies the "It's not as good as the book" people.
The Green Mile, excellent movie & stays very close to the book

Anders247

I saw Episode IX recently and it was OK, I mean it was entertaining but the storytelling was awful.

AJE

I enjoyed it more the second time because I knew exactly what to expect. The first time I was so pessimistic about it I couldn’t enjoy it. With movies these days you just have to go in expecting a fun time, not a masterpiece

MomeWrath

Canaculus said:
Anybody here seen The 6th Sense? Fantastic movie. The twist at the end really got me.
So yeah, in terms of CGI, acting, and just movies in general, the Hobbit trilogy is amazing. Unless you compare it to the book. And let's be real, no one is ever going to make a book to movie adaption that stays to the story 100% and satisfies the "It's not as good as the book" people.
Are you being serious about 6th Sense?

Coradee is right about The Green Mile. And Stephen King's is a difficult head to get into in terms of putting what he puts in your brain onto a screen.

I can hardly watch horror flicks since I had kids. I was all about it until they got to be school age and something broke when I watched Saw IV and my brain said NO MORE.
Here's a movie that IMO didn't get enough acclaim... probably because it is too heart-wrenching:
Savior (Dennis Quaid). I don't think anything on screen has made me cry like that. Except maybe Steel Magnolias.

Cheesecake

Magicpenny75 said:
Are you being serious about 6th Sense?

Coradee is right about The Green Mile. And Stephen King's is a difficult head to get into in terms of putting what he puts in your brain onto a screen.

I can hardly watch horror flicks since I had kids. I was all about it until they got to be school age and something broke when I watched Saw IV and my brain said NO MORE.
Here's a movie that IMO didn't get enough acclaim... probably because it is too heart-wrenching:
Savior (Dennis Quaid). I don't think anything on screen has made me cry like that. Except maybe Steel Magnolias.
I take it you don't like it?

Coradee said:
The Green Mile, excellent movie & stays very close to the book
Okay, well, there won't be a second movie that stays close to the book .
I've not heard of that one actually.

Mongo75

Magicpenny75 said:
With the exception of The Stand, I have yet to see a King book make the transition to film. I don't know if it's the actors, writers, directors, or what, but every King movie I've watched doesn't even come close to the book. I'll use the latest, The Dark Tower as an example. Baaaaad movie. I've read (listened to the unabridged audio books) the entire series, and what they released in the theaters is an abomination!

Frisbee

Rev said:
I wasn't too crazy about that one, but it was good. Very interesting to see a different perspective on everything. I read the series chronologically so the magicians nephew first, and that being the first one from a completely different perspective was fascinating. The only book I didn't enjoy was the silver chair. Didn't finish it I found it too boring, nothing was happening. Might have to give it another go though.
It all happens towards the end. It is really boring until they get to harfang (the giant city). That’s when all the adventure happens and it’s actually one of the most action packed books.

Mr. Kgnao

Canaculus said:
Great, now when I watch The Sixth Sense decades after it came out, I'm going to spend the whole time trying to figure out what the twist is. I wonder what an alternative universe M. Night Shyamalan would have been like if that film hadn't been as successful. Are films like The Village and The Happening, his obsession with the "twist" ending, a pavlovian response to the critical and commercial success of The Sixth Sense; or was his lack of growth as a filmmaker inevitable, and the quality of The Sixth Sense nothing more than a happy coincidence.

As far as film adaptations of books, Volker Schloendorf is the filmmaker par excellence. Clearly he's making a different kind of film than those being discussed in this thread, and that's really the heart of the matter. Schloendorf films capture the spirit, feeling, and intention of a work, that's all we can expect of an adaptation; films like The Hobbit are made for wider audiences and, as such, their 'fidelity' to the source material is assessed in a more middle-of-the-road way. I also don't understand this demand that a film have one to one parity in terms of events, descriptions, chronology, etc... before it can be considered a 'good' adaptation. Film is a different medium, if you carry over every single word from page to screen, even something as loose, lively, and lithe as Discworld becomes plodding, clumsy, pompous.

Frisbee

Mr. Kgnao said:
Great, now when I watch The Sixth Sense decades after it came out, I'm going to spend the whole time trying to figure out what the twist is. I wonder what an alternative universe M. Night Shyamalan would have been like if that film hadn't been as successful. Are films like The Village and The Happening, his obsession with the "twist" ending, a pavlovian response to the critical and commercial success of The Sixth Sense; or was his lack of growth as a filmmaker inevitable, and the quality of The Sixth Sense nothing more than a happy coincidence.

As far as film adaptations of books, Volker Schloendorf is the filmmaker par excellence. Clearly he's making a different kind of film than those being discussed in this thread, and that's really the heart of the matter. Schloendorf films capture the spirit, feeling, and intention of a work, that's all we can expect of an adaptation; films like The Hobbit are made for wider audiences and, as such, their 'fidelity' to the source material is assessed in a more middle-of-the-road way. I also don't understand this demand that a film have one to one parity in terms of events, descriptions, chronology, etc... before it can be considered a 'good' adaptation. Film is a different medium, if you carry over every single word from page to screen, even something as loose, lively, and lithe as Discworld becomes plodding, clumsy, pompous.
Yes, movies definitely have to be changed, you can’t exactly put everything on a screen the way it is in a book (that’s why we have creative licensing), but I think The Hobbit went way to far with it. The Lord of the Rings was good (especially the extended version), it was not exact to the book, but very close and it portrayed the story well. The Hobbit on the other hand, was horrible. They went so far with the creative licensing that it ruined the story. They changed the characters so much that it was just wrong. They took one book and tried to add a bunch to it so they could stretch it into 3 movies, but took out all the parts that were actually good. The first movie was “okay” (they did a somewhat decent job at portraying the characters, not exact, but okay). The second one was just so far gone I don’t even know what to say, same with the third.

Frisbee

Did any of you guys hear about the new Silver Chair movie? I was really excited... until Netflix bought the production rights to it. I have a strange feeling it’s gonna turn out really bad (just my theory, Netflix usually ruins stuff).

We will see.

Rev

LittleBlueGuppy said:
It all happens towards the end. It is really boring until they get to harfang (the giant city). That’s when all the adventure happens and it’s actually one of the most action packed books.
Hm alright guess I'm picking it back up. Didn't hear anything about the movie. Interesting to see how that turns out.

MomeWrath

Mongo75 said:
With the exception of The Stand, I have yet to see a King book make the transition to film. I don't know if it's the actors, writers, directors, or what, but every King movie I've watched doesn't even come close to the book. I'll use the latest, The Dark Tower as an example. Baaaaad movie. I've read (listened to the unabridged audio books) the entire series, and what they released in the theaters is an abomination!
I agree with you mostly. I had just finished reading The Stand when they made that miniseries...I think The Green Mile was closer. Something about his style...there's too much of his writing that is felt rather than seen in the mind's eye, so every person's interpretation of what it should be is different. The Shining was actually pretty good too, but I read the book and saw the movie both at a young age and years apart.

Mongo75

Magicpenny75 said:
I agree with you mostly. I had just finished reading The Stand when they made that miniseries...I think The Green Mile was closer. Something about his style...there's too much of his writing that is felt rather than seen in the mind's eye, so every person's interpretation of what it should be is different. The Shining was actually pretty good too, but I read the book and saw the movie both at a young age and years apart.
There was a . I've only seen it once, but I felt it was better than the 1980 movie, and was truer to the original book. Now, they are coming out with a 10 episode miniseries remake of The Stand sometime this year. I just can't see 10 plus hours without a bunch of irrelevant "license" added. Gonna watch it just out of curiosity though

Cheesecake

Mr. Kgnao said:
Great, now when I watch The Sixth Sense decades after it came out, I'm going to spend the whole time trying to figure out what the twist is.
Spoiler alert! Just a heads up.

At the end when the Doctor figures out he isn't alive. At least I thought it was a twist.
I always forget that that movie was directed by M. N. S. He's the same guy who directed Avatar: The Last Airbender, and the disparity between the quality of that movie and 6th Sense is just incredible. I consider Avatar: TLA as one of the worst movies ever made.
However, the animated TV show that Avatar: TLA is based on is fantastic, truly a masterpiece. It just makes it so much sadder when you remember how bad the movie is.

How about the Eragon movie? That has got to be the ultimate in bad book to movie adaptions.

MomeWrath

Canaculus said:
Spoiler alert! Just a heads up.

At the end when the Doctor figures out he isn't alive. At least I thought it was a twist.
I asked if you were serious because the end of that movie has been spoiled so globally it's gained meme-status lol. I didn't think anyone could be surprised by it anymore
Eragon was awful. And Sean Connery as a voice-actor is also so overdone as to be meme. haha!

jake37

Lady Bird was a better movie; but I can't remember if it came out before or after. I'm not even sure it was related as I don't remember seeing any stars or lasers in it but either way it was a better movie. Heck even Harry who was Dirty was a better movie. I though it had a decent cast but the story - well for all the money they spent they could have come up with something a bit tighter - and we really didn't need to see flashback to characters presented in the second movie but otherwise not in the movie.

MacZ

Anyone seen The Green Butchers? Really good movie.

Also, just to say it, my favourite movies are the Cornetto-Trilogy (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, World's End). There, I said it.

MomeWrath

MacZ said:
Anyone seen The Green Butchers? Really good movie.

Also, just to say it, my favourite movies are the Cornetto-Trilogy (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, World's End). There, I said it.
you really can't beat a good britcom.
Let's not even get started on Monty Python... or National Lampoon's...
My hands-down all time favorite comedy: Airplane!

Jimmy! What do you make of this?
Well, I can make a hat, or a brooch, or a pterodactyl...

Surely, you can't be serious!
I am serious! And stop calling me Shirley!

JI'm never has a second cup of coffee at home...

Excuse me, miss... I speak Jive.

I could go on for hours.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom