Low-tech plants to grow and sell

AcornTheBetta

Hi all!
I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for low-tech plants that I could grow and sell. I would prefer a stem plant like rotala or ludwigia as I do much better with those than with other types of plants. Thanks!

Pwilly07

Hi all!
I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for low-tech plants that I could grow and sell. I would prefer a stem plant like rotala or ludwigia as I do much better with those than with other types of plants. Thanks!
Water wisteria and water sprite which are very similar are easy. I prefer water wisteria, but just because I've grown it personally.

Upvote 0

CrackerboxPalace

xmas moss, java moss, rotala are all great. Not sure how low-tech rotala can be though because I've only grown it in dirted/ferted/stratum tanks with high light. It grows very fast under these conditions though, I'm throwing out clippings almost every week.

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

xmas moss, java moss, rotala are all great. Not sure how low-tech rotala can be though because I've only grown it in dirted/ferted/stratum tanks with high light. It grows very fast under these conditions though, I'm throwing out clippings almost every week.
Oh cool! This tank is dirted and high light. Do you think I should use liquid ferts or no?

Upvote 0

CrackerboxPalace

Oh cool! This tank is dirted and high light. Do you think I should use liquid ferts or no?
In a dirted tank? no need IMO. Unless the dirt is over, say, 6 months old? In my dirted tank I added a couple of beads of osmocote every 6 months.

Upvote 0

MacZ

Vallisneria, Elodea, Ceratophyllum (hornwort), Limnobium (frogbit), Hydrocotyle (pennywort), Salvinia. They grow quite good.

But be generally aware that plants only make a profit when sold in bigger amounts. The price rises with quality and the fewer hitchhikers you can guarantee.

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

Vallisneria, Elodea, Ceratophyllum (hornwort), Limnobium (frogbit), Hydrocotyle (pennywort), Salvinia. They grow quite good.

But be generally aware that plants only make a profit when sold in bigger amounts. The price rises with quality and the fewer hitchhikers you can guarantee.
Ok. Thanks! Do you think it's worthwhile to try hornwort or no since pretty much everyone can grow it?

Upvote 0

JettsPapa

I'd suggest doing some research on your target market and let that information help you decide. I looked around at locally owned fish and aquarium stores to see what plants I had that they didn't offer for sale, and started growing more of those. It's worked pretty well so far.

Upvote 0

MacZ

Ok. Thanks! Do you think it's worthwhile to try hornwort or no since pretty much everyone can grow it?

As JettsPapa said, depends on your local market.

Upvote 0

Hellfishguy

I grow rotala, water sprite & pennywort floating without ferts & sell them on Aquabid.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
saqib
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
Joshaeus