Female or male dwarf gourami?

Loveplantedtanks

IMG_20200730_082447.jpg

IMG_20200728_092824.jpg

Hi all. I bought this as a female but I guess I just want to check with you. Sometimes, like in the top photo, the top fin looks kind of pointed but in the shop the person said it was whether the bottom fin was rounded or not that is important.
Thanks

Crimson_687

Both are male. Females will be a silvery color (unless they’re powder blue females), smaller, and are very hard to find. Usually only the most dedicated LFS carry them

Loveplantedtanks

I think they are powder blue dwarf gouramis. I bought two females and a male. Below are photos of the male and female, it's the third one (photos at the top) that I'm asking about. Unless the fin shape of all of them are males. The person at the lfs said that if the bottom fin was pointed it was a male. Is that right?
IMG_20200730_143842.jpg

IMG_20200730_143817.jpg

FinalFins

Loveplantedtanks said:
The person at the lfs said that if the bottom fin was pointed it was a male. Is that right?
Nope, its the color used to sex them. Females are silvery brown and males blue and red. If they have any red trimming the caudual fin, good chance its a male,
-
I suggest you return 2 of them, as 3 males will fight to the death.or stress eachother out to the point of death.

FishGirl115

Look like males to me

Feohw

Both the colour and the fins can be used to sex them. Colour is most obvious in most cases. As mentioned, all gourami in this thread are male.

Loveplantedtanks

Oh yikes.... So three males. That's not what I wanted at all.
They're in a 20G with 12 neon tetras at the moment. Do you suggest keeping 1 male in there and maybe a few of something else (but what??) or try to return all 3 if keeping one dwarf gourami alone isn't a good idea.
Thanks

FishGirl115

Loveplantedtanks said:
They're in a 20G with 12 neon tetras at the moment. Do you suggest keeping 1 male in there and maybe a few of something else (but what??) or try to return all 3 if keeping one dwarf gourami alone isn't a good idea.
Thanks
One male should be fine. I would return the other two

Crimson_687

Loveplantedtanks said:
Thanks
Keeping a lone male is perfectly fine. Try to return 2 of them ASAP. Since they’re not mature right now and have yet to settle in you have some time, but once they do, it’s animal fight night in your tank.

If you’re still interested in keeping multiple gouramis, you can try sparkling gouramis or honey gourami. Both are suitable for a 20g and much more docile. Unlike Dwarf gourami, where males may still harass and kill females, both honeys and sparkling gourami will not do this (unless your male is just completely bad-tempered) and will pair up easily.

If you’re ok with just one gourami and would like to keep a single DG, you’ll have room for either more neon tetra or a bottom crew. You could do 6 dwarf Corydoras, if you have enough filtration and a bottom level suitable for them with lots of plants. If you’d like more neons AND a bottom crew, I would up the neon school to about 15 and get 3-5 amano shrimp

Top Bottom