Are Black Convicts Ok in Community Tank?

FreshwaterCole

Reaction score
Hello, new here!

Fairly new to the hobby as well.

Has anyone had a single Black Convict Cichlid in a general community tank?

Currently in my 40gb there are :

6 Black Neons
5 Zebra Danios
3 Tiger Barbs
1 Bn dwarf pleco
1 Iredescent shark(will be rehomed soon)
1 Black Convict
1 Black Mystery Snail

ph - 6.8
Temp - 78deg farenheit

All fish are still juvenile. There is no aggression, even the tiger Barbs keep to themselves. Everything stays away from convict, other than the Barbs which will school from time to time.
Photo attached.

Is this tank going to stay this way when they reach full growth?

Assuming all parameters are met, and I am giving best life possible.

Has anyone had just a single convict in a community tank and went well?

I have two 10 gallon running as well, one with a female Apistogramma Agassizii double red (she killed male when they were in breeder before convict was purchased) pic #3

And the other with a presumed pair of Bolivian Rams, still juvenile. But coloring up nicely. Pic #2

Thanks

Will upload better pics soon, sorry lol.

Attachments

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Young fishes tend to be less aggressive than adults. You might get lucky with your current stock but convicts belong in prison not community tanks. More seriously it might work when young but i'd be worry as it gets older. Also not sure but as an adult it might be able to go after some of the smaller black neon tetra if it wants a snack. I'd go with b. rams over the convict. They are generally regarded as peaceful. Even when breeding they won't be too harsh with tank mates.

MoshJosh

Reaction score
I had a female convict in my 75 gallon community for a long time. She was a cool fish and worked out OK in the tank, she was kind of a bully though, and I had to rehome her after she was beating up my angels while they were trying to spawn. I would say avoid.

OP
FreshwaterCole

FreshwaterCole

Reaction score
jake37 said:
Young fishes tend to be less aggressive than adults. You might get lucky with your current stock but convicts belong in prison not community tanks. More seriously it might work when young but i'd be worry as it gets older. Also not sure but as an adult it might be able to go after some of the smaller black neon tetra if it wants a snack. I'd go with b. rams over the convict. They are generally regarded as peaceful. Even when breeding they won't be too harsh with tank mates.
Thanks, will probably rehome convict, once I get 20gl or bigger. Only have 2 10g, bot sure of a convict is ok alone in a 10g.
Yeah, reason why Rams r out of 40gb is the big one was very aggressive.

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
All the Convicts Ive ever had have been huge jerks and NOT okay in a community tank. And a Convict needs a 20 minimum.

OP
FreshwaterCole

FreshwaterCole

Reaction score
MoshJosh said:
I had a female convict in my 75 gallon community for a long time. She was a cool fish and worked out OK in the tank, she was kind of a bully though, and I had to rehome her after she was beating up my angels while they were trying to spawn. I would say avoid.
MoshJosh said:
Thanks for reply.
DuaneV said:
All the Convicts Ive ever had have been huge jerks and NOT okay in a community tank. And a Convict needs a 20 minimum.
I'm trying to find a way I can upload video, but it seems as though this convict does not care, but as other members hav said, probably cause it's still young. Yeah I will be getting a 20L for 'it's.. lol. After watching some YouTube videos of other tanks, with a couple convicts in, but mostly other Cichlids.

johnbetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
its a risk mate your tiger barbs could be trouble and the convics can be nasty around breeding time

OP
FreshwaterCole

FreshwaterCole

Reaction score
jake37 said:
You said the B. Ram was a bully who did it bully ?
Everything, lol. The smaller Ram and the big Ram would tussle here n there, normal.but the big B.Ram would chase everything, relentlessly sometimes.

johnbetta said:
its a risk mate your tiger barbs could be trouble and the convics can be nasty around breeding time
Would a single convict go into breed mode?

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The single convict is likely to become problematic, I would make plans to rehome him.
And when you do, you should consider getting at least 5 more tiger barbs, albino, green, regular, even glo tiger barbs will school. As the tiger barbs grow, they will become more aggressive and more rambunctious, and all other species will bare the brunt of it unless they are in a larger than average school. 6 is a bare minimum size school for a schooling fish. I suggest you get more danios as well, they are known to be fin nippy pains in the tail fins if they are not in a more then minimum size school. mine were fine in a group of 8 until they started breeding and then they were harassing the other fish, but not hurting anyone.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had a beautiful baby female Convict. You would not believe how tough these things are. She terrorised my community tank. Seeing is believing!

Interestingly when I returned her to the shop she was much much bigger than the group in the shop that she came from showing the shop don't feed them much.

OP
FreshwaterCole

FreshwaterCole

Reaction score
johnbetta said:
no not really if there where to then yes but one on its own won't
Thanks

Redshark1 said:
I had a beautiful baby female Convict. You would not believe how tough these things are. She terrorised my community tank. Seeing is believing!

Interestingly when I returned her to the shop she was much much bigger than the group in the shop that she came from showing the shop don't feed them much.
Yes, it could be I just haven't witnessed it yet. Will rehome when I can get a tank from a store, when they reopen, or maybe at least a 20long delivered.

I have noticed a lot of pet shops that carry fish, some they shouldn't, and don't know that much about them.
I was told our iredescent Shark/Catfish would grow to about 6" and eats anything. So obviously, just getting into the hobby, I didn't have a reason to not trust what they said...holly balls did they understate the total length at maturity..over 3ft.

Noroomforshoe said:
The single convict is likely to become problematic, I would make plans to rehome him.
And when you do, you should consider getting at least 5 more tiger barbs, albino, green, regular, even glo tiger barbs will school. As the tiger barbs grow, they will become more aggressive and more rambunctious, and all other species will bare the brunt of it unless they are in a larger than average school. 6 is a bare minimum size school for a schooling fish. I suggest you get more danios as well, they are known to be fin nippy pains in the tail fins if they are not in a more then minimum size school. mine were fine in a group of 8 until they started breeding and then they were harassing the other fish, but not hurting anyone.
Seems I have some fish shuffling to do, lol, will somehow get 2 new aquariums (not easy with this Covid-19 :(...) and do 2 different species tanks. Barbs in one, convict in other. Put Bolivian Rams back in the 40gb. Maybe the small B. Ram first, then the bigger one.

Is an odd number better than even for a school of Danios?

New Threads