Aquarium "Life Hacks"

Lchi87

I realized I can repurpose 6 pack caddies as a bottle holder for various water additives:

26ca62df315f5f7878d3d9f0099b4822.jpg

Makes it so much easier to dose multiple tanks when they're corralled together like this.

Would love to hear "hacks" from others too!

Fashooga

So fitting, there's a fish on the packet too.

qchris87

I like how you stacked your fish food on the filter. I may do that now. Easier than looking through 12 different containers haha

Lchi87

So fitting, there's a fish on the packet too.
There's another variety with a puffer on the packaging Clearly, fish influence choices in other aspects of my life haha.
I like how you stacked your fish food on the filter. I may do that now. Easier than looking through 12 different containers haha
LOL that's just me being lazy with putting food away, not a real hack hahaha!

tyguy7760

great idea!

Fishpuns

I love DIY and I'm definitely stealing your caddy idea, that's genius! Guess I need to go get a 6-pack now

I have a few but here's the creation I'm most proud of. I attached a syringe to a length of airline to make an easy-start minI siphon! It can be started with one hand and no tube sucking

CIMG7900.JPG

Nada Mucho

I realized I can repurpose 6 pack caddies as a bottle holder for various water additives:

26ca62df315f5f7878d3d9f0099b4822.jpg

Makes it so much easier to dose multiple tanks when they're corralled together like this.

Would love to hear "hacks" from others too!

Lchi87 love you to death kid but can not qualify as a hack if you don't bedazzle it or something. Martha Stewart would scream bloody murder!

Lchi87

Lchi87 love you to death kid but can not qualify as a hack if you don't bedazzle it or something. Martha Stewart would scream bloody murder!
Hah! Fine, I'll bedazzle it later
I used to live in the same town as Martha but I couldn't hear her screaming as she was in jail at the time.

I love DIY and I'm definitely stealing your caddy idea, that's genius! Guess I need to go get a 6-pack now

I have a few but here's the creation I'm most proud of. I attached a syringe to a length of airline to make an easy-start minI siphon! It can be started with one hand and no tube sucking

CIMG7900.JPG
Neat idea! Feel free to share your other creations

Nada Mucho

Hah! Fine, I'll bedazzle it later
I used to live in the same town as Martha but I couldn't hear her screaming as she was in jail at the time.

Laugh maybe you could here her running her tin cup up and down the bars. Seriously though full credit for finding the betta beer. Talk about an appropriate selection. How was the wheat ale?

OnTheFly

You might have too many chemicals when you need to organize them.

Lchi87

Laugh maybe you could here her running her tin cup up and down the bars. Seriously though full credit for finding the betta beer. Talk about an appropriate selection. How was the wheat ale?
It wasn't bad! Tart and fruity.
You might have too many chemicals when you need to organize them.
That isn't half of it sadly LOL.

Nada Mucho

Ok all you genius' I have a DYI request. I've got my API Master Freshwater Test Kit and I like to use a test tube for the same solution every time so I bought some colored rubber bands for the tubes and used a Sharpie on the caps. They all fit back nice and neat in the kit holder and I'm gtg.

My problem is that I also have a gH, kH and Phosphates test kits which are basically just a bottle (or two) and a test tube. They are just sitting on my bathroom sink counter loose and I would love to find a way to store them securely between testing. If anyone has a hack for that I'd be most grateful.

Five 97

That's a great idea! I leave foods on filters as well (mainly because I have my tanks spread around the house), I guess that makes me lazy as well.

OnTheFly

It wasn't bad! Tart and fruity.

That isn't half of it sadly LOL.
I have enough myself. Fighting to keep in under control with all my strength.

Kasshan

They were throwing out new 60mL catheter syringes at work so I took them home so I use them for hand feeding all sorts of things. I also use them to safely and gently suck up small fry since the mouth is 5mm.
Also since I'm a cheapskate I reduce the vol of test samples by ratio when I use my master kit. I don't fill the test tube to 5mL. I fill only 1mL test water and use the correct ratio of test chemicals since 15 gtt(drops) equals one mL using an insulin syringe. Once I do all my math I write it on the bottle so I don't forget.

Dandelion-Dream

I sometimes drop flakes on the filter outtake/flow and BOOM! No presoaking required.

OnTheFly

They were throwing out new 60mL catheter syringes at work so I took them home so I use them for hand feeding all sorts of things. I also use them to safely and gently suck up small fry since the mouth is 5mm.
Also since I'm a cheapskate I reduce the vol of test samples by ratio when I use my master kit. I don't fill the test tube to 5mL. I fill only 1mL test water and use the correct ratio of test chemicals since 15 gtt(drops) equals one mL using an insulin syringe. Once I do all my math I write it on the bottle so I don't forget.
I'd call you cheap but I am running out of stuff I don't want to refill already. With precise measurement no reason why your method wouldn't work.

Lchi87

This is incredibly smart! Going to start doing this...

Nada Mucho

I don't know if this is really a hack but I keep a can of Flex Seal under the kitchen sink just in case. It seals instantly even if water is flowing out of a hole or crack. Easy to find at Walmart.

Kasshan

Since I'm a I.V. pharm tech it is second nature using ratios to compound drugs. Algebra is fun and easy. I didn't think it would be a stretch to do the same with API's kit either, making it last 5 times longer

Nada Mucho

Algebra is fun and easy.

I want some of whatever you are smoking. Hook a brother up.

Stephen Hiatt

1" tubing. I can do a wc on the 4 gallon in about 1 1/2 minutes.

OnTheFly

Since I'm a I.V. pharm tech it is second nature using ratios to compound drugs. Algebra is fun and easy. I didn't think it would be a stretch to do the same with API's kit either, making it last 5 times longer
For us non-Pros, knowing the volume of an API bottle "drop" would be our challenge.

Bogart16

Ok all you genius' I have a DYI request. I've got my API Master Freshwater Test Kit and I like to use a test tube for the same solution every time so I bought some colored rubber bands for the tubes and used a Sharpie on the caps. They all fit back nice and neat in the kit holder and I'm gtg.

My problem is that I also have a gH, kH and Phosphates test kits which are basically just a bottle (or two) and a test tube. They are just sitting on my bathroom sink counter loose and I would love to find a way to store them securely between testing. If anyone has a hack for that I'd be most grateful.

Not a DYI hack, but this is kinda cool if you want to spend a little $ to organize your kits. API Combo Organizer

Also, I toss things I need to move between tanks in a minI storage crate. Usually easy to find around August/back to school. Fit nice on the shelf below the tank. One is filled with food, one with cleaning things, and one with chemicals.

Lchi87

I don't know if this is really a hack but I keep a can of Flex Seal under the kitchen sink just in case. It seals instantly even if water is flowing out of a hole or crack. Easy to find at Walmart.
Do you know if it's fish-safe? Just wondering if I used it to seal a leaking tank whether it could be a permanent fix or only something to keep water in while I ran to the store for a new tank..

Kasshan

Flex seal is not aesthetically pleasing I think it's black and bubbly looking when it comes out. Now I am guessing, but don't think it is safe while it is curing, once cured then ye I think it is nontoxic, but not before. It needs to be trimmed and sanded down. But for a aquariums I thinks it is quick strong temporary fix to get u thru an emergency perhaps.

Nada Mucho

Flex seal is not aesthetically pleasing I think it's black and bubbly looking when it comes out. It needs to be trimmed and sanded down. But for a aquariums I thinks it is quick strong temporary fix to get u thru an emergency perhaps.

Agreed my Flex Seal isn't for looks it's to keep water in the tank and the fish alive in case of an accident.

Lchi87

Flex seal is not aesthetically pleasing I think it's black and bubbly looking when it comes out. Now I am guessing, but don't think it is safe while it is curing, once cured then ye I think it is nontoxic, but not before. It needs to be trimmed and sanded down. But for a aquariums I thinks it is quick strong temporary fix to get u thru an emergency perhaps.

Agreed my Flex Seal isn't for looks it's to keep water in the tank and the fish alive in case of an accident.
Right, I didn't think Flex Seal would improve on the looks of a tank lol but I was curious if applying it to the outside would cause unsafe chemicals to leach INTO the tank. Looks like I have some research to do!

Kasshan

It dries super quick. Leeching would not be an issue if used on the outside or dry parts.

Nada Mucho

Right, I didn't think Flex Seal would improve on the looks of a tank lol but I was curious if applying it to the outside would cause unsafe chemicals to leach INTO the tank. Looks like I have some research to do!

They have some tape too and I might go with that for fast repairs while the water is actually pouring out. Slap it right on, press down, no more leaking.

Mothercrow

Don't know if this helps, but I went to the cloth store and bought myself a thread-spool case. I lined the bottom with paper towel and drop the tubes on the spindles after I wash them. I drop the lids directly on the paper towel. The lid of the case has been everything from a flat drying surface to an equipment holder to a sterile surface while dabbing methylene blue. Right now it's being a makeshift lid for my snail tank.

goldface

To WC smaller aquariums or to spot clean (even clean deep and tight filter compartments, like in the fluval spec and flex), I use an airline tubing with a good fitting straw attached to one end, sorta like a minI tube version of the larger gravel vaccums. If I remember to, I can post a pic of the entire setup using a gatorade bottle as the storage for old water, which I can then use later to water my plants. Anyone interested can probably look it up too.

bgclarke

Not so much a hack as organization.

20170621_140833.jpg

Ph, ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite vials for each tank.

Tubes along the back left side are for GH and KH tests , with a spare tube.

Eyedroppers:
Yellow: ammonia
Pink: Flourish
White: Prime
Blue: Replenish

5 ml syringe for filling test vials.

KO_

Ill post a pic later but I use an airline tube and two suction cup airline holders to keep floating plants away from my filter outtake. I just put the cups on the front and back of the tank at the top and boom, invisible divider.

bgclarke

Ill post a pic later but I use an airline tube and two suction cup airline holders to keep floating plants away from my filter outtake. I just put the cups on the front and back of the tank at the top and boom, invisible divider.
I've been looking for a way to keep the floating plants from covering the entire water surface so I can have an open air space in my betta tanks and this seems perfect.

grantm91

Not so much a hack as organization.

20170621_140833.jpg

Ph, ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite vials for each tank.

Tubes along the back left side are for GH and KH tests , with a spare tube.

Eyedroppers:
Yellow: ammonia
Pink: Flourish
White: Prime
Blue: Replenish

5 ml syringe for filling test vials.

You just gave my OCD an epic massage I love this little thing.

KO_

bddbb3a04d20a43221dee5e568cad966.jpg

b6b2395778f39bd84522601ea0c1a0e3.jpg

The floater divider.

bgclarke

Based on KO_'s idea, I made loops to keep the area above the betta hammock free of floating plants.

20170623_155652.jpg

Notice the totally unplanned appearance of Marius?

The other is a cover for the opening on the top of the Aqueon Ascent tank lid to keep the fish and shrimp in (and potentially keep furry paws out).

It's made out of black plastic canvas to better blend in with the rest of the lid.

20170623_155625.jpg

20170623_155614.jpg

Donnerjay

I'd like to see a picture of your WC tube with straw thingie, if you could, scarface !

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Bwood22
Replies
Views
ruud
  • Question
Replies
Views
ChimericalFish
  • Question