Dividing a tank for bettas..fun and low cost

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Heres how I divide my betta tanks....

I purchase mesh/plastic dividers that people use for needlepoint ..you can get them at most craft stores and walmart and mine came in a pack of 10 different colors for approx $6-7 ..also purchase plastic binder holders for notebooks (thats the blue strip) and you can get them just about anywhere also..i got mine at staples for approx 5 in a package for $4-5

DSC07031.jpg

you cut the mesh to the size of the tank...allowing minimal space for the plastic binders to go on all 4 sides....when putting them into the tank, it should be done with bare bottom with no subtrate underneath it because these bettas will dig under if they can..once you have them in tightly, no room on sides or bottom, you can put in your subtrate of choice and build it up a little bit on the bottom of the divider...this is very important that you dont cut it too small where they can slide through the sides, or too long so the divider bends at all..you want it totally straight and tight.....

when filling the tank, leave about 2-3 inches below the divider at the top because they will jump over the divider as well.....

heres a few of my tanks with them in there

20 GALLON LONG.jpg

DSC09705.JPG

DSC07012.JPG

DSC07099.JPG

remember when dividing any bettas, that after 2 weeks they are still stressed/flaring, they are not going to work in a divided tank without being not able to see one another..thats very important ....but some of the mesh comes with very dark colors and I also double up the mesh for the nawty boys/girls who dont relax

Leigh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
We are just about ready to add our betta's to our divided tank...ala Shawnie! We have a few things to tweak and hopefully in the next couple days my boys will be in there!

Shawnie...in the full tank pic, what is the blue tube thing on the bottom in that runs through the 2 right sections??

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
We are just about ready to add our betta's to our divided tank...ala Shawnie! We have a few things to tweak and hopefully in the next couple days my boys will be in there!

Shawnie...in the full tank pic, what is the blue tube thing on the bottom in that runs through the 2 right sections??
that long blue thing is a bubble wand that goes in both compartments...but I have extra subtrate and marbles built well around the bottom as it leaves a space for the wand to go thru both sides....

Leigh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks! I was curious. We have ours divided into 3 sections with 2 bubblers on the ends and an air stone in the middle. I'm glad I got 2 big pieces of mesh, we cut the first too small, $1.29 a sheet, no biggie! I'm fitting them back in now to make sure they are very tight!

When I get it all done I will post pics. It's not quite as colorful as yours, lol! But you did inspire me to pick up some sparkly stuff for them.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
the notebook binders are very important too..did you get some of those? im glad you are learning from trial and error as these kids are tricky and will find a ton of spaces that you dont always see...I learned that the hard way cant wait to see pics!!!!!!!

Leigh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I did find the binders, at Staples, they had a pack of 6 for $2.50 so we got 2 packs. WalMart had the mesh, wish I'd waited, it was a 6 pack for $.99! sigh...I know where to get it next time.

I've built up the gravel quite a bit so if they are going to dig, they are going to have to do some serious digging!! I've got about 2-3 inches in there and then some nice pebbles on top of that. WM had little bags of jewels/gems for $1.50 a bag and I got 3 different color combo's to go with the coloring of each betta. Just have to work on plants.

thanks for ALL your help!

angelfish220

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I find the color canvas works better than the white/clear. they can't see though it as easily so there is less stress.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
bettas like more longer tanks than taller ..they need that surface and dont always have the strength to get to the top of the taller tanks...so the 20 gal long will be perfect! and if you decided to divide a taller tank, you just dont fill it all the way to the top

mcub

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Exactly what i was lookin' for. thanks. just curious how much did the 20gal long run you. i been lookin' for one but not sure whats a good price range. what kind of lid do you have on that. and do you just cut the mesh exactly the width so it fits snuggly? and could i stick corries or otos in there with a betta

college student that loves bettas= i wanna maximize the amount of bettas with the least amount of money. thanks for sharing!

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
my 20gal long was given to me...but used, I wouldnt pay more than 1-2 dollars a gallon...I have the mesh on top for a lid as I move their bubble wands around to different compartments ever week...you cut the mesh so its a tight fit with the blue plastic pices on it...you want no spaces or bends in the mesh or you will have escape artists...as far as putting cories or ottos in there, each betta is different...so if you choose to attempt that, have a back up plan (another tank) if your bettas are nawty...good luck!

mcub

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
heyy, when i fitted my dividers. they were Perfect. but when i put the gravel and water in. the tank bowed a little making them a little loose. i used paper clips similiar to the ones they use in the store bought ones. to clip it.works Great tho

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
careful that the paper clips dont get wet mcub..they will rust in the tank and water

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
For those who want to fill their tanks to the top a piece of the plastic canvas on the top to form a T shaped divider (about 4 inches wide the width of the tank) will keep them from being able to go over the top and still allow the light to come through.

The idea is great and well worth trying if you want to do this. I put the binder edges in with silicone when I did it and it really helped to stabilize the whole thing.

Rose

If you get brass paper clips they will not rust in the water or cause a problem. I had brass in my tank for years and it was fine.

Rose

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
you shouldnt need paper clips at all if its cut and fitted correctly...ive never used them in the few years ive had them divided...I think the cutting and placing is almost as important as making sure they cant jump over or under the divider....the slightest fraction of too short, or too long of a cut, will allow them to get through and thats trouble

momiji345

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
hi do you think you could put this on a video i keep on failing lol so it would help me so much.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Wish I did have it on a video

I wish I did have it on a video but I quit dividing my tanks a long time ago and no longer have the tank I divided. I used that method and it works but do not have any bettas in divided tanks anymore. I hope someone can help you though as if you want to do it the method is easier than any I have ever used.

Rose

Robin4

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Shawnie, your tank looks awesome.... What does the "bathtub" in the third picture do, is it a "bubbler"?

Robin

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hi do you think you could put this on a video i keep on failing lol so it would help me so much.

Shawnie, your tank looks awesome.... What does the "bathtub" in the third picture do, is it a "bubbler"?

Robin
the tubbie is a plastic doll house piece that has the bubble wand going up behind it lol ...dont tell my granddaughter I took it from her dollhouse tho

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Great video Shawnie. Looks like your boys are enjoying their condo. lol
Is that a 20 long?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom