Anyone from Michigan?

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,242
Reaction score
7,428
Location
Michigan
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm starting this thread to see who on Fishlore is from Michigan and want to share good Lfs and Michigan only stories and stores, restaurants, festivals etc. Lets do this Michiganders......lol I hate that name for us by the way. :p
 

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,143
Reaction score
5,259
Experience
More than 10 years
Well, Michiganders is better than what we call the people from Illinois, which I cannot put on this forum! They are a particular problem here in the Southwestern corner of the state.

I live just outside Benton Harbor. Grew up in this area, and I'm getting flashbacks to the 1960s this past week. My 50 year high school reunion is this summer, if the COVID lockdown ends soon.

We used to have a motto, "If you seek a pleasant peninsula, look around you." It's still pretty nice out there. I haven't been to the UP in almost 50 years, need to go see if it's still there and the way it should be, wild and green.
 

kanzekatores

Well Known
Member
Messages
791
Reaction score
536
Location
Michigan
Experience
2 years
I live in Michigan and my lfs is Fish Doctors (there's one in Canton and Ypsillanti). They have an amazing showroom and a ton of aquarium fish and dry goods.
Cool thread!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
StarGirl

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,242
Reaction score
7,428
Location
Michigan
Experience
More than 10 years
chromedome52 said:
Well, Michiganders is better than what we call the people from Illinois, which I cannot put on this forum! They are a particular problem here in the Southwestern corner of the state.

I live just outside Benton Harbor. Grew up in this area, and I'm getting flashbacks to the 1960s this past week. My 50 year high school reunion is this summer, if the COVID lockdown ends soon.

We used to have a motto, "If you seek a pleasant peninsula, look around you." It's still pretty nice out there. I haven't been to the UP in almost 50 years, need to go see if it's still there and the way it should be, wild and green.
I'm in the GR area. My mom lives in the UP so we get up there quite a bit. I remember that motto!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6
OP
StarGirl

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,242
Reaction score
7,428
Location
Michigan
Experience
More than 10 years
kanzekatores said:
I live in Michigan and my lfs is Fish Doctors (there's one in Canton and Ypsillanti). They have an amazing showroom and a ton of aquarium fish and dry goods.
Cool thread!
Dont do foreign language they will delete it just like CoryBoi I stole the idea from the Bay area thread! :p
 

CoryBoi

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,577
Reaction score
2,331
Location
West Michigan
Experience
5 to 10 years
StarGirl15 said:
Dont do foreign language they will delete it just like CoryBoi I stole the idea from the Bay area thread! :p
I called it!

(you would have noticed if you translated it like the mods did.)
 

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,829
Reaction score
4,792
Experience
5 to 10 years
I prefer for us to be called Michigainians, but I guess Michiganders is easier to say.

The best one I’ve found was VIPets in GR. They’re willing to let me trade in my fish/plants, special order hard to find fish, and give decent advice. Only problem I have with them is trying to get my stock in their tank, I have to call beforehand and if they don’t have room they won’t take them (perfectly acceptable). So I was told to call before they order a new shipment and let me tell you, the number of times I’ve called only to be told “we just ordered more”! I can only talk to one person there about trading in fish and they aren’t always working when I call. Talked to the boss/owner and he’s all for locally bred fish but it’d be a miracle if I actually got my OB peacocks and bettas in.

I haven’t really tried looking around for a better store as I don’t like driving around the big cities. The closest one to me is in Greenville and it’s a little tiny thing with nothing too notable. They won’t take my fish due to other dumb dumbs dumping their unwanted fish off when they first opened.

Other than that Soldans in Mt. Pleasant is ok but they refuse to do business with me (take my fish) because they don’t want to risk introducing disease to their stock, which is a laugh because their stock is anything but disease free. If they did take my fish it would be as a “surrender” so no perks for me but they get to sell my healthy fish for a pretty penny.

And thus I’ve taken my business to online sellers/buyers because the local shops aren’t cooperative despite my attempts. The only shop to ever really give me a chance was VIPets and they’ve let me down a number of times.
 

CoryBoi

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,577
Reaction score
2,331
Location
West Michigan
Experience
5 to 10 years
Demeter said:
I prefer for us to be called Michigainians, but I guess Michiganders is easier to say.

The best one I’ve found was VIPets in GR. They’re willing to let me trade in my fish/plants, special order hard to find fish, and give decent advice. Only problem I have with them is trying to get my stock in their tank, I have to call beforehand and if they don’t have room they won’t take them (perfectly acceptable). So I was told to call before they order a new shipment and let me tell you, the number of times I’ve called only to be told “we just ordered more”! I can only talk to one person there about trading in fish and they aren’t always working when I call. Talked to the boss/owner and he’s all for locally bred fish but it’d be a miracle if I actually got my OB peacocks and bettas in.

I haven’t really tried looking around for a better store as I don’t like driving around the big cities. The closest one to me is in Greenville and it’s a little tiny thing with nothing too notable. They won’t take my fish due to other dumb dumbs dumping their unwanted fish off when they first opened.

Other than that Soldans in Mt. Pleasant is ok but they refuse to do business with me (take my fish) because they don’t want to risk introducing disease to their stock, which is a laugh because their stock is anything but disease free. If they did take my fish it would be as a “surrender” so no perks for me but they get to sell my healthy fish for a pretty penny.

And thus I’ve taken my business to online sellers/buyers because the local shops aren’t cooperative despite my attempts. The only shop to ever really give me a chance was VIPets and they’ve let me down a number of times.
Have you tried blue fish aquarium in grandville? They are nit taking trade ins right now, but they normally are, and they sometimes will buy stock from you.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #10
OP
StarGirl

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,242
Reaction score
7,428
Location
Michigan
Experience
More than 10 years
Blue fish is better than VI IMO. They have way more fish. Cory from co-op did a video tour there. I'll try to find it later. Or you can YouTube blue fish aquarium co-op.

CoryBoi I wasn't going to translate it anyway....lol
 

Wrench

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,441
Reaction score
1,274
Location
San Diego California
Experience
2 years
I have been to Michigan.......I felt like Sanka from the movie cool runnings.....Sanka! What ya smokin man????......"I'm not smokin,I'm breathin!.
My lord,when I got to the airports first exit door and it opened i just about died,me being a Californian boy that "cold to the bone" feeling was unbearable.
It was a fun trip, I drove past 8 mile all the way too 15 mile before my ex wife told me too turn around hahahaha.

I didnt get it but she said cops dont even go down that far...I wanted too keep going lol
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #12
OP
StarGirl

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,242
Reaction score
7,428
Location
Michigan
Experience
More than 10 years
Aquarium Co-Ops tour of our lfs. Blue Fish
 

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,143
Reaction score
5,259
Experience
More than 10 years
Well, while BlueFish is the best store in GR, that was probably the worst tour tape I've ever watched.
 

MomeWrath

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,615
Reaction score
2,656
Location
North Carolina
Experience
More than 10 years
I was born in Pontiac and grew up in Union Lake. My dad still lives in Romeo and he worked for GM for thirty years. Just saying hi. I haven't been in the state since I was 15.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #16
OP
StarGirl

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,242
Reaction score
7,428
Location
Michigan
Experience
More than 10 years
I always wonder if anyone at blue fish is on fishlore.
 

kanzekatores

Well Known
Member
Messages
791
Reaction score
536
Location
Michigan
Experience
2 years
I always wonder if anyone here is actually someone I know and I didn't know they were a member. Like what if youre my neighbor :eek:
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #18
OP
StarGirl

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,242
Reaction score
7,428
Location
Michigan
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm in Wyoming actually.
 

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,143
Reaction score
5,259
Experience
More than 10 years
StarGirl15 said:
I'm in Wyoming actually.
Are you a member of GVAC? I was, but had to drop a few years ago due to financial concerns. One of the better clubs that still exists out there.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #20
OP
StarGirl

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,242
Reaction score
7,428
Location
Michigan
Experience
More than 10 years
No I haven't looked up much for groups around.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
245
Guests online
3,450
Total visitors
3,695

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom