What is this

2ManyFish

Hi all,

I had to take in a pulsing Xenia which the previous owner had sat in a bucket which was unheated, unfiltered, and unlit.

as soon as I got it I did a drip acclimation and a coral dip to remove pests (surprisingly there was tonnes on there, along with bubble algae and candy floss algae)

it’s been in my tank for 36 hours and has slowly been closing up and turning black, I’m not sure if this was from the dip or from him having it in a bucket? Regardless, is there any way of saving it?

also, it’s now had these two things sprouting up, I’m not sure what they are but I’m worried they’re aiptasia? They’ve gotten to this size overnight (they’re the things with arrows on them on the attached pic) I appreciate they’re hard to see in the photo.

many thanks

carloz209

They look like vermins if so get some bumblebee snails they will eat those up. double check on that though i am no expert.

fish 321

definitely not vermetid snails, could be apista but I am not 100% sure, luckily I have not had to deal with them yet. I think you would be better off asking on a saltwater specific forum where they would be able to identify it then help you get rid of it. My go to forum for saltwater is Reef2Reef.

Jesterrace

carloz209 said:
They look like vermins if so get some bumblebee snails they will eat those up. double check on that though i am no expert.
Definitely not vermatid snails. Has the tell tale prong look to it's head that young aiptasia have so I concur with Fish 321 that is the likely culprit. @ the OP Aiptasia X does work well when they are young and few in number but you do need to address it fairly quickly or they can spread like wildfire in the tank.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom