DIY Filter Floss

MeGustaUnaPez926
Is there anyway you can make filter floss all on your own? I only have one and I can't get to the LFS for awhile, and I am trying to rid my tank of green water. Any ideas for substitutes?

Shawnie
once you can get to a store, go to walmart or any craft store and buy a huge bag of polyester stuffing for a pillow ..make sure no dyes or perfumes and you can get a bag for $4 or so that will last you forever!

MeGustaUnaPez926
Hey, I already have that, I'm (sort of) a seamstress. Sweet, now I don't have to buy anything! So I just take a hunk of that and stick it in?

Nick G
Good call Shawnie! That's what I use and it works great. I even keep extra pieces in the hood filter of my Oscar tank for "instant" cycling of other tanks if need be!

MeGustaUnaPez926
Hey, that a great idea, I think I might do that if I ever have to cycle another tank! Thanks!

CHoffman
That's what I use too..It's great and cheap. That's awesome that you already have it on hand. That's a score.

Shawnie
I have extra floss in all my filters for the MTS sickness lol..just make sure its pure that's all it also works for the smaller tanks that need less outtake(for bettas) or intake (so fry don't get sucked up inside)

MeGustaUnaPez926
The great thing is I am most likely never going to make a pillow again, so that was just sitting there. I feel like such a dork, but I'm really excited about this!!!

Shawnie
MeGustaUnaPez926 said:
The great thing is I am most likely never going to make a pillow again, so that was just sitting there. I feel like such a dork, but I'm really excited about this!!!
dont feel that way!!! I wouldnt have ever thought of something like this if I didnt read it here on fishlore...now that's about all I use for filter media other than the tanks I run carbon in ....such a great savings for sure

Butterfly
Shawnie said:
once you can get to a store, go to walmart or any craft store and buy a huge bag of polyester stuffing for a pillow ..make sure no dyes or perfumes and you can get a bag for $4 or so that will last you forever!
That's what I use also Besides dyes and perfumes make sure it doesn't have flame retardants and mildew retardants in it. Just the plain stuffing
carol

MeGustaUnaPez926
Butterfly said:
That's what I use also Besides dyes and perfumes make sure it doesn't have flame retardants and mildew retardants in it. Just the plain stuffing
carol
Shoot... Should I take it out then? It's flame resistant...

Butterfly
I don't know what effect the retardant will have and have never used floss with it in it but since they use a chemical to make it flame resistant I would. Sorry
Carol

MeGustaUnaPez926
Dang... Okay, I guess it'll come out then.

≈ D ≈
Here is what I use:

Floss Alternative

371.jpg

What I put it in

372.jpg

The floss alternative I get from Walmart in the craft section.

The filter bag I get from Lowes in the paint section. It also has other uses - carbon, peat, purigen etc. You couls also use a stocking. (Not fishnet though > )

I use the bag for the floss to prevent any loose strands damaging an impeller.

Hope this is of use to someone,
D

bettafish2816
as ≈ D ≈, pointed out, you're going to want to get a bag for the filter floss rather than just putting it in there to prevent pieces from getting everywhere

MeGustaUnaPez926
Yeah, that's a good point. I'm really upset because it was just starting to work!

Butterfly
I just stuff mine in the filter behind the sponges It doesn't go anywhere.

Nicolas Rodriguez
Ok so I'm just reading this, if I stuff this in my filter, then when my father sets up his tank I can just stuff it all in there and it would be the same as putting established filter media in? 0.o

Red1313
Seeded media acts to speed cycle a tank. The long that the media has been in a mature tank the faster it will cycle a new tank. Depending on the size of the new tank it will either insta cycle it or speed cycle. However the media needs to be seeded for roughly 3 weeks first.

Nicolas Rodriguez
sweet, thanks for the input.

Aquarist
I use batting material from Wal Mart craft department. Works GREAT!

griffin
that's what I use as well. works great, and cheap too! just be sure to get the kind that doesn't have any extra chemicals for stuff like flame retardant and such

whiskeyhill
Here's how you do it...simple,fast.....done

MeGustaUnaPez926
Um, whiskey hill, was there a picture that was supposed to be attached to that, because I'm not understanding...

Iron waffle
MeGustaUnaPez926 said:
Um, whiskey hill, was there a picture that was supposed to be attached to that, because I'm not understanding...
It's supposed to be a video, I see it just fine

MeGustaUnaPez926
Oh, I've got software on my computer that filters out all videos. Case solved!

MizRamzi
I've noticed that no one mentions the use of charcoal with their media. Is it really not necessary? Does it kill the healthy bacteria? Is it just for removing ammonia?

Butterfly
MizRamzi said:
I've noticed that no one mentions the use of charcoal with their media. Is it really not necessary? Does it kill the healthy bacteria? Is it just for removing ammonia?
Most of us don't use charcoal unless removing meds from our tanks. It lasts such a short time before it quits works that it's not worth replacing. charcoal doesn't kill the bacteria but it doesn't remove ammonia either.
Carol

MizRamzi
well gezzzzz, now that makes me fill up with all kinds of questions. Where did the idea come from? Why do they sell it? And the biggest question is, where the heck have I been? I mean just about every filter sold has charcoal embedded into it. Now that I don't need it (it is a pain anyways) I'm gonna buy my own stuffin. Thanks for the info.

mjordan
what about the carbon that supposablt last 4 to 6 months.

ill get in dr fosters real quick.

is this stuff any good. I was looking at it in one of there magazines yesterday.

its called chemi-pure

Top Bottom