Wanting to start a betta breeding business - Page 2

Luckyscale2003

so i am 17 and have done the math but I need help on the more legal side of things
I live in colorado and cant seem to find anything straight forward on fees and registering the small buisness
but here's the math I have done for everything else

2 quality males : 44.5 x 2 = 89$
4 quality females : 33 x 4 = 132$
=221$
60 babies x 4= 240 babies
Price for females 25$
Price for males 35$
240 divided by 2 = 120/male 120/female
Female- 120 x 25$ = 3000$ say you sell 8 fish a week 120 divided by 8= 15 weeks for fish to be sold so that would mean a weekly income rate for females would be 200$

Male- 120x35$ = 4200$ say you sell 8 fish per week would be 15 weeks to sell them out
Weekly income for males is 280$
Possible weekly income for selling 16 fish 480$

Packaging
Shipping boxes- amount 25 size 9.5x6x3.75 price 24$ actual price = 230.4$ for one .96$
Styrofoam- amount 6 size 17x11x1 price 18$ actual price= 840$ for one 3$
Heat packs- amount 10 price 35 actual price 980$ for one= 3.50$
rubberbands/zipties- amount 100 price 5$ actual price 13$ = .05$
Breather bags- amount 100 price 10$ actual price 28$= 0.10$
Total per shipping 7.66$ shipping will be 25$ for orders over 75$ and 12$ for shipping under 75

Labels
Live fish label- 500 for 14$
Shipping label printer -100$
Business startup fees
Cost 20$ to register with the state
100$ opening deposit for checking account

RelaxingBettas

one thought, have you considered selling imports? Breeding is great, and I love it, but its a solid 4-5 months of throwing money at a project and tons of work with no guarantee of even making that money back. When you import and sell, you only have to wait a week or so to let the fish rest before they can go to their forever home. Not to mention, imports will always sell for more then home bred, even if they are home bred from imports. They just do it better in Asia, the climate is meant for tropical fish. Just a thought, if you really want to make money from this. Then use those profits from reselling to get into breeding more heavily and add that to your stock. Still requires exposure but would be cheaper and easier overall then breeding for months at a time.
I've thought of this, if I just wanted to do it for profit it's the way I would go, I want a sustainable hobby, and I want to breed because of the joy and curiosity of it.
Another reason I backed off on plecos and went with high end corys.

Upvote 0

CHJ

I've thought of this, if I just wanted to do it for profit it's the way I would go, I want a sustainable hobby, and I want to breed because of the joy and curiosity of it.
Another reason I backed off on plecos and went with high end corys.
Got C111s yet? parallellis? those are dream high end for me. If I can get a herd of 111s that will be a money printing machine.. well a trade in printing machine to get high end plecos from the LFS.

I will never get parallelis due to the water reqs for breeding.

Upvote 0

RelaxingBettas

Got C111s yet? parallellis? those are dream high end for me. If I can get a herd of 111s that will be a money printing machine.. well a trade in printing machine to get high end plecos from the LFS.

I will never get parallelis due to the water reqs for breeding.
Gold lasers and Venezuelan orange, that was rich enough for my blood, lol. I don't remember the numbers of the corys (or king tiger plecos I've been drooling over), but it's a matter of ones with high demand probably finding a better home (I think my plain old bronze corys in the guppy tank- look as pretty as can be). Wish me luck, they're as happy as larks, I'm growing them out together (they're little guys ), I'll separate them for breeding, but it's the first time I've had a proper little flock of over a dozen corys, and they are just a delight.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Kribensis27
Replies
Views
Pwilly07
Replies
Views
-Mak-
Replies