Touch gloves, now FIGHT!!!

starcore

Reaction score
If BB grows on any non reactive surface with flow and good O2 then any inert porous material is good to go

Tez

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
kcopper thanks for sharing the video, here's my readings regular with my filter system ammonia 0ppm, nitrite 0ppm and nitrate 5ppm with a top filter system and with a fluval submerged filter pump with identical filters but in cages.

IMG_20200117_142217_5.jpg IMG_20200123_135114_3.jpg IMG_20190208_225606_8.jpg

I brought a Betta large submerged pump for my 22 gallon tank just with carbon sponge and it did a spike in a few days and sent my nitrate to 40ppm after several water changes I got it back down with it removed and the fluval back in...i'm sticking to what I buy in bulk and making my own filters to make sure my fish are on a constant good flow of health.

KDS

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’m divided on this issue. On one hand, I took the Seachem Pond Matrix out of my canisters and went with pot scrubbies. I also ditched my plan to buy biohome ultimate for my sump. But I am trying the biocenosis clarification baskets for my 210 build. It will be a planted tank so I may never truly know if the BCBs really work.

MissPanda

Well Known
Reaction score
I actually agree with not needing fancy biomedia. I don't think one is better than another. I've used many brands and never noticed a difference. If the BB is there, it's there! If it has pores it'll take BB just fine.

Jonmott

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
KDS said:
I’m divided on this issue. On one hand, I took the Seachem Pond Matrix out of my canisters and went with pot scrubbies. I also ditched my plan to buy biohome ultimate for my sump. But I am trying the biocenosis clarification baskets for my 210 build. It will be a planted tank so I may never truly know if the BCBs really work.
This is true as aquatic plants eat nitrates

trahana

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think lava rocks are awesome filter media, and super cheap at $7 for huge bag. Can't find the right size? Grab a hammer and make it smaller!
Think about how all the "good" media is ceramic(called stoneware for a reason) and how everyone says porous is better. Well, lava is about a porous as a natural rock can get without floating!

zorianak

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Lots of people have kept some gorgeous fish and tanks healthy with nothing but an airpump and a sponge. If anything, I'm starting to get pushed away from carbon filtering because it can even take out the *beneficial* stuff from your water, such as your plant fertilizers.

That said, if you're using just tap water, I'd probably still put it through a carbon filter before putting it in your tank (not that I do this as I'm lazy), because you just about never know what your city has in their water.

SM1199

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
zorianak said:
Lots of people have kept some gorgeous fish and tanks healthy with nothing but an airpump and a sponge. If anything, I'm starting to get pushed away from carbon filtering because it can even take out the *beneficial* stuff from your water, such as your plant fertilizers.

That said, if you're using just tap water, I'd probably still put it through a carbon filter before putting it in your tank (not that I do this as I'm lazy), because you just about never know what your city has in their water.
Actually, I never use carbon for tap water, and a lot of other people on here don't either. Carbon is useful for removing medications and that's about it. If your tap water is safe to drink, the only fish-dangerous thing in it should be chlorine which is what we dechlorinate for, or nitrogenous compounds which carbon isn't useful for anyway.

Canacullus

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I’m on wall water and I am now considering filling my canister filter with lava rocks instead of sponges. The only they are really great at IMHO is mechanical filtration.

New Threads