One fish eats all the live food.

FloatyGimpy

Reaction score
Lately I've been giving my fish live mosquito larvae. One of the fish quickly swims around and eats most of the larvae.

Question 1: Is she going to eat herself to death? She's a Tetra so I don't know how she can eat 6 or 7 mosquitoes and not burst.

Question 2: How can I get the rest of the fish to get a move on and get eating?

Question 3: Should I just stop adding the live food? I don't want big Bertha to die from overeating.

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Pu
FloatyGimpy said:
Lately I've been giving my fish live mosquito larvae. One of the fish quickly swims around and eats most of the larvae.

Question 1: Is she going to eat herself to death? She's a Tetra so I don't know how she can eat 6 or 7 mosquitoes and not burst.

Question 2: How can I get the rest of the fish to get a move on and get eating?

Question 3: Should I just stop adding the live food? I don't want big Bertha to die from overeating.
Put the food in a net if it will stay and direct it to the other fish then let Bertha polish off the scraps.

OP
FloatyGimpy

FloatyGimpy

Reaction score
Wrench said:
Pu

Put the food in a net if it will stay and direct it to the other fish then let Bertha polish off the scraps.
I actually did try using a net tonight - they were all terrified of it and swam away to hide. The tank is heavily planted so they can just disappear into the foliage when they want, making it impossible for me to feed specific fish.

I think I may just have to stop feeding the live food or Bertha's going to die. She's in there, right now, hunting for any stragglers. She also gets quite aggressive and chases everyone else away from where the larvae is hanging out. It's a shame because it's so much fun to watch them spot a wriggling larvae and chase after it. It looks like it must be a lot of fun for them, too.

DoraCory

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
When I'm feeding live food, I drop one half of the portion in one corner and the other portion in another corner. The greediest fish usually head for the first drop of food and then the other fish are given the opportunity to discover the second drop of food.

OP
FloatyGimpy

FloatyGimpy

Reaction score
Flyfisha said:
What species of tetra are you writing about FloatyGimpy ?
A neon Tetra?
yes they do explode apparently. At least the warning is that fry can from overeating.
Ember Tetras. They have voracious appetites when it's feeding time but Bertha turns into a super jerk. She's also quite portly. I think I'll just stop feeding them the mosquitoes because I don't want her to die.

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
They are a sweet little tetra aren’t they?
I don’t have the answer with this species, even though I have had them in my life for 3 years. Yes I think I have lost big females to over feeding, even dry food .
I had 15 embers in a 60 litre /16 gallon for a while then an 80 litre with male endlers shrimp and two other small species. While there was no nippy aggression I did see some embers become dominant around food. A small group of embers.
I currently have 45 embers in a 140 litre / 40 gallon with only shrimp and a pair of small fish.
Only time will tell if the larger group of one species helps. I feed the adults baby brine shrimp as a live food more suitable to the size of the fish and something one fish can’t monopolise. ( be a guts)

Perhaps you have room to increase the school?
Certainly if you and your fish enjoy mosquitoes you will enjoy feeding live baby brine.

I am still trying to feed my fish less , perhaps if your other fish do not “ get a move on” it is because they are not hungry?

OP
FloatyGimpy

FloatyGimpy

Reaction score
I did hatch baby brine shrimp for them for a while but got tired of the process and mess - lol. It's so easy to go outside to the yard with a syringe to suck up mosquito larvae. I'm not going to feed them for a few days. She looks positively rotund today! She's still hunting this morning - swimming to all the nooks and crannies and having a good look to see if anyone's hiding.

I have 12 of them in a heavily planted 10 gallon so I can't really add more. Actually I probably could now that I think about it. I do frequent water changes and take very good care of them so bit more bioload won't really more work for me.

OMG she found another one just now. It's hanging out of her mouth because there's no more room!

Ermahgerd stahp fish!

New Threads