New Light And Insane Algae Bloom!

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Nightstar17, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Nightstar17

Nightstar17Valued MemberMember

I'm brand new when it comes to keeping plants in an aquarium. I have a 45G tank. I bought a new light that was recommended to me, but ever since I got it, the tank exploded with algae.
    It's an INSANE amount of algae growing and I can't keep up with it! The algae is now covering all of my plants and everything else in the aquarium. I'm doing at least 2 water changes a week but it's still out of control.
    The light has 2 settings, day and a night/moon glow. Should I just start shutting the thing off completely at night?
    Also, what is the best way to tackle the algae right now? I have DHG, java ferns, egeria densa, Christmas moss and some large decorations. They're all completely covered in this stuff. What's the best way to clean the plants? It almost looks like an abandoned aquarium set up.
    Please, help a girl out! :emoji_disappointed_relieved:

2. toeknee

toekneeWell Known MemberMember

Definitely turn it off at night. Algae will use the blue light to grow but your plants can't. How long do you keep it on otherwise during the day? Lights should only be on 6-8 hours max.

3. OP
    OP
    Nightstar17

Yes, that's one thing I need to be better at is how long I have it on during the day! I just got a timer for it so hopefully this will help.
    Thank you for the information on the blue light, I had no idea!

4. oldsalt777

oldsalt777Well Known MemberMember

Hello Night...

Algae is a natural water filter and some is good for the tank. But, you need to control its growth. You do this a number of ways: Add Ramshorn snails, reduce the amount of food you feed the fish, get foods low in phosphates, add livebearing fish like Guppies, Platys, and Swordtails. These fish love algae. You need to perform larger, weekly water changes to remove the added nutrients (nitrates) the algae thrive on. If you're not already, gradually work up to the point you change at least half the water weekly, no excuses. Clean the algae off the front glass, but don't worry about the other sides or the plants. That's too much work and you could damage your plants. Give these steps time to work. Take good care of the water and you'll be successful!

Old

5. 86 ssinit

86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

Great ideas old! But keep in mind that ramshorn are pest snails and can overtake your tank. Especially if you overfeed. Those livebearers can also overtake your tank. Try to just get one sex. What I do to stop algae is put the light on a 3hr on 3hr off 4hr on timer schedule. Seems the 3hr break limits the growth of algae.
    What kind of fish and how many? How many plants? Something else I recently bought is the doctors 3in1. I also have a 45gal tank with a vivagrow 24/7 on it running on the 24/7 cycle and all is great.

6. -Mak-

-Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

Is the light dimmable?
    What plants do you have?
    Do you dose fertilizers?

7. OP
    OP
    Nightstar17

The algae completely covering the plants wont hurt it will it?

8. OP
    OP
    Nightstar17

I've never heard of the 3 in 1. How are you liking it?
    Right now for fish, I have an adult platy, 2 platy fry and 11 dumbo guppy fry.

9. BlackOsprey

BlackOspreyWell Known MemberMember

Too much algae can smother the plants. You can manually scrape it off the leaves or dip them in a diluted bleach solution.

10. OP
    OP
    Nightstar17

That's kind of what I was thinking. I've been using my hand/a light tooth brush scrub. The hairgrass I think I'm going to have to replant.

11. 86 ssinit

Ok not much I can tell you about the doctors 3in1. It adds somthing to the water that slows down or stops the growth of algae. It’s suggested to be installed on new aquariums. Or to remove algae before adding to existing to existing tanks. I’ve done it both ways and I’m happy with it.
    Do you have any snails or algae eaters? Quick way to kill algae is a peroxide dip. Dip plants for 3min and wood or ornaments for five min. You can rinse them off in tap water before you put them back in the tank. Give them about 5 min before rinse.

12. OP
    OP
    Nightstar17

I currently have 4 otos in my quarantine tank. I'm very certain they have an internal parasite so it will be a while before I introduce them to my display tank.

13. 86 ssinit

Ottos are very hard fish to keep. They all either come with parasites or the lack of a stomach bacteria that allows them to eat algae. 90+% are caught wild. From being caught to getting to your tank the lack of algae for them to eat has killed off the bacteria. Without it they die. They need a tank with micro film and algae for them to survive. Again tough Gish to keep. I have a total of 7 now in 2 different tanks. I have a qt tank that is planted and allways running. Pleanty of what they need to eat. Bought 4 about a month ago and all died within a month.:(. Try algae wafers and maybe baby spinach leaves boiled for about 40sec. Good luck.