My DIY "Python" type Water change system.

Jonez

I can't remember if I posted this before (Found the original thread , I've just added the shower head splitter), so thought I'd add this to the collection of DIY's, as its been super successful for me, and only cost about $13 to make.

Items used:
50ft Garden Hose (get an anti-kink hose).
3/4" male thread-to-5/8" barb
3/4" female thread to 5/8" female thread
5/8" shower nozzle plunger switch.
Self-priming vacuum siphon.
Magnetic glass scrubber.

The whole system is very simple.

I took the male end of the garden hose and screwed the 3/4" thread to 5/8" barb onto it.

image00029er.jpg

I then just attached my regular self-priming siphon hose to the barb end. Make sure you have the self-priming siphon.

image00031ai.jpg

On the other side, I left it as is.
Now to my shower head. I unscrewed it, and attached the 3/8" shower nozzle plunger switch. I re-attached my shower head to the top side, and attached the 3/4"-to-5/8" thread to the bottom side.
I actually found this mechanism on a job site of a house I was remodeling. I haven't been able to find a link online for purchase but I'm sure your local hardware store will know what to look for.

image00028r.jpg

And that's pretty much it!

Now to drain my tanks, I just take the one end of the garden hose and leave it in my tub, while the other end I use the self-priming siphon as usual (shaking to get suction).
Once drained, I remove the self-priming vacuum attachment from the 5/8" tubing and use the clip to secure the tubing to the inside of my tank for refilling.

image00032p.jpg

I then use my magnetic glass scrubber to place just beneath the tube outlet to disperse the water instead of having it jut into the tank, disturbing the substrate.
Then I just go to my tub, and screw the hose end to the attachment on my shower head and set the plunger to the bottomside.

image00030a.jpg

I turn on my water faucet, get my temperature set then pull the shower plunger.
Tanks are filled as normal.
There is always water left in the line from drain-to-fill, so expect a forced air bubble or two when reversing the flow.

Once I'm done, I shut off the water, unscrew the hose from the shower-side and place in the tub. I go to the tank-side and start winding up my hose -- draining the excess water from the hose into the tub as I wrap it up.

My 40 gallon takes about 15-20 minutes to drain and fill, and my 10 gallon takes about 5-10 minutes.

Last edited:

Jonez

Heres a version of that shower head splitter I have. not the same configuration, but does the same thing.

Jonez

Hah! I found my original thread on this water change system.

The only thing I've added was the shower head splitter. Saves so much more time with the splitter -- not having to remove the shower head and re-attach after you're done with it.

AnthonyC4C

Nice...I was going to make one but there was the aqueon water changer right in front of my face for 34.95...quick and easy emptied my 60 gallon completely in about 30 minutes give or take... I just know it wasn't long...

Even filled my entire 120 using it and that didn't feel like it too, that long either... it was quite the dramatic change from water buckets...lol

Jonez

Nice...I was going to make one but there was the aqueon water changer right in front of my face for 34.95...quick and easy emptied my 60 gallon completely in about 30 minutes give or take... I just know it wasn't long...

Even filled my entire 120 using it and that didn't feel like it too, that long either... it was quite the dramatic change from water buckets...lol

Best $25 DIY I ever made by far

Top Bottom