my DIY Water Changing System.

Jonez

Reading up on different types of water change systems people have devised here, it spurred me to try one myself (that, and hauling 25G of water in 5G buckets isn't my idea of a good time).

MY supplies:
50ft Garden Hose ($10)
5/8" to 1/2" barb ($6)
5/8" to 3/8" converter. ($2)

The converter attaches to the female end of the garden hose, then screws onto my shower nozzle (was thinking of a quick release system, but it was too long and ugly looking).
The barb attaches to the male end of the garden hose, and the barb end is fit snuggly onto my siphon hose.

To drain, I just start my siphon like normal, and have the other end drain into the tub.
To fill, I detach the vac portion of the gravel vacuum, screw the female end (with the 5/8" converter) onto my shower nozzle, adjust temp, then fill my tank.

Thanks for the inspiration. Going to save me a TON of time.

Attachments

• IMGP3490.JPG
    IMGP3490.JPG
    223.1 KB · Views: 696
  • IMGP3491.JPG
    IMGP3491.JPG
    220 KB · Views: 471
  • IMGP3492.JPG
    IMGP3492.JPG
    228.8 KB · Views: 598

FiremouthGuy

Awesome water changer! I love the plumbing names for certain parts...

addicted_ind

thanks for sharing with us

psalm18.2

Could you post a video w/ instructions? How does it attach to your shower? Thanks.

Dogfishead

Was the garden hose your using labeled drinking water safe? because generic garden hoses are treated with chemicals to keep bacteria and fungus from growing inside them which could be harmful to fish.

psalm18.2

Was the garden hose your using labeled drinking water safe? because generic garden hoses are treated with chemicals to keep bacteria and fungus from growing inside them which could be harmful to fish.
I'm guessing based on what I saw, white hose, it was. The white ones are sold as water lines for rv drinking water.

Dogfishead

right, the hoses labeled as Boat and Camper are also labeled as drinking water safe which the generic garden hoses are not. But also the Boat and Camper hoses are not $10 for a 50 ft at least not that ive seen, more like $20-$30 for a 50 ft. $28.99 for a 50ft at the hardware store where I work.

Jonez

Its not a boat and camper hose. Its a generic utility hose.
This is the hose:

It doesn't contain any antimicrobial treatments, but to be 100% sure, I have contacted the MFG to see if it is safe for drinking. Or I could just drink out of it for the next week and see if I get sick. hehe

As for a video,,, way to time consuming for me.

Here is the barb:

As for the converter, just ask someone at home depot and they can help you. you'll need to get a converter that will thread onto the hose (which is 5/8") and the other end thread onto the shower spout (usually 1/2").

Loki.x

Very cool. I was just going to buy a water changer, but I might try this instead, thanks!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jonez
Replies
Views
jroe263
Replies
Views
John58ford
Replies
Views