75 Gallon Tank Mosquito larvae in Oscar fish tank

Srikrishna
Hello all,
I have two oscars in my 75 gallon tank. Now I have got a boom of mosquito larvae in the tank. Please suggest me a tank mate to control this issue...!

Thank you

awilkinson871
The Oscars should be going to town on them. Try fasting them for a day or so.

Flyfisha
Hi Srikrishna
I don’t think an adult Oscar is going to be bothered with tiny mosquito larvae but it’s worth trying the not feeding them approach. Even my little fish can go ten days without feeding so an Oscar should have no trouble going a week without food.
As far as tank mates that will hunt down the mosquito I can’t think of anything that would not be eaten by the Oscar.

Have you tried netting them at the surface with a fish net? Each mosquito must come up for air every few minutes.

Srikrishna
Hi Srikrishna
I don’t think an adult Oscar is going to be bothered with tiny mosquito larvae but it’s worth trying the not feeding them approach. Even my little fish can go ten days without feeding so an Oscar should have no trouble going a week without food.
As far as tank mates that will hunt down the mosquito I can’t think of anything that would not be eaten by the Oscar.

Have you tried netting them at the surface with a fish net? Each mosquito must come up for air every few minutes.

Thank you for the reply,

I am netting it out every day and have also placed two surface skimmers. But problem is the mosquito larvae creates internal parasites and makes water unfit for the fish to survive. Have lost many fishes before including medium size Oscar because of this problem. So a bit worried...!

Flyfisha
Do you have a water test kit ?
What are the nitrates levels?
Are you changing some tank water every week?
I do not understand how mosquitoes make the water unfit for fish? Many fish use mosquitoes as a food source in nature and in aquariums.

SixThreeOh
Can we see a picture of the tank?

awilkinson871
Are we sure they are mosquito larvae and not detrius worms? They can look similar.

Catappa
If they are mosquito larvae and not detritus worms, can you span a fine mosquito net over the tank to prevent more mosquitos laying eggs?

Srikrishna
Do you have a water test kit ?
What are the nitrates levels?
Are you changing some tank water every week?
I do not understand how mosquitoes make the water unfit for fish? Many fish use mosquitoes as a food source in nature and in aquariums.

I agree that every person in this hobby gets this doubt . Trust me I am good in maintaining water parameters and also frequently changing 20-30 percent water. But have seen that soon after the larvae formation in aquarium the fishes gets infected. Usual the people who use larvae as food sources either wash thoroughly and feed fish or if I talk about fishes like betta or guppy, they eat them in early stages. So the presence of larvae in tank is really less period.
But in my case larvae stays from the stage of an egg till it turns to mosquito. In this process the water gets polluted. Such partial water changes and some times even 100% water changes doesn’t work. I always sterilize it with hot water and sunlight to get rid of these things..!

Flyfisha
Mosquito have two stages of larvae which I am sure you realise? The first long wriggling stage is used in my country as food for many fish. The second stage is a totally different looking creature looking like the letter e . This black ball has a harder shell and is not recommended for small fish as the shell are block the stomach.
The two adult Oscars would not eat mosquito larvae. Sorry I don’t know of any fish that would eat mosquito but not be eaten by an Oscar.

I suggest the issue you are having is the 20% water changes with two Oscars in a 75 gallon. Try a weekly 50% change.
It’s not recommended to change 100% of the water in a fish tank.

Do you have chlorine in your tap water?

What are you adding hot water to ?

Do you have a test kit to determine if you have ammonia or nitrates?

SixThreeOh
Can you post a pic of the tank? Water shouldn't be going stagnant in a 75 gallon with two oscars, so mosquitoes shouldn't be an issue if the tank is set up properly.

Srikrishna
Mosquito have two stages of larvae which I am sure you realise? The first long wriggling stage is used in my country as food for many fish. The second stage is a totally different looking creature looking like the letter e . This black ball has a harder shell and is not recommended for small fish as the shell are block the stomach.
The two adult Oscars would not eat mosquito larvae. Sorry I don’t know of any fish that would eat mosquito but not be eaten by an Oscar.

I suggest the issue you are having is the 20% water changes with two Oscars in a 75 gallon. Try a weekly 50% change.
It’s not recommended to change 100% of the water in a fish tank.

Do you have chlorine in your tap water?

What are you adding hot water to ?

Do you have a test kit to determine if you have ammonia or nitrates?

Yes, I do have a test kit.I use water conditioners to make water fit for my fishes. At critical stages when I have to go with 100% water change, I shift my oscars to a 25 gallon hospital tank which will be first filled with water from my 75 gallon tank. I just keep them there for two weeks and during this period I completely wash my tank with boiling water and keep it in sun light. After the cycling process, I shift them to the 75 gallons tank.
Sir whether it’s 20% water change or 50% water change, I get a lump of mosquito eggs on the top edges of tank. Whatever care I take, at least few of them manage to get into water. And it’s 75 gallons and catching larvae in it is also difficult. Only solution is to get a tank mate which can feed on larvae or getting rid of Oscar and having small fishes like guppy or similar to avoid larvae
Or is there any water parameter where larvae cannot survive or any insecticide as we have for planaria in water..!
Do large tiger barbs or tinfoil barbs eat larvae. Saw a video where Oscar was kept as their tank mates. And these adjust to wide water parameters. So I thought of having these as tank mates with lots of hiding space if they would feed on larvae..!

Flyfisha
I have not used this product myself.

Mosquito Dunks is sold in the US and in Australia.

To answer your question.
I have no experience with tiger barbs but would assume they would eat mosquito larvae?

A link

Mosquito Dunks 8-Ounce Quick Kill Mosquito Bits AU STOCK FREE FAST SHIPPING 18506001162 | eBay

Srikrishna
I have not used this product myself.

Mosquito Dunks is sold in the US and in Australia.

To answer your question.
I have no experience with tiger barbs but would assume they would eat mosquito larvae?

A link

Mosquito Dunks 8-Ounce Quick Kill Mosquito Bits AU STOCK FREE FAST SHIPPING 18506001162 | eBay

Thanks Buddy,

It was really helpful, will definitely try this product...!

Thank you for your time and effort’s to solve my issue..!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
vinay021
Replies
Views
angelcraze
Replies
Views
Parmesany
Replies
Views