Julii corys dying in QT tank

philly27

I recently bought 3 julii corys from my LFS and 2 have died in the QT tank. i got them 3 days ago and one was dead when i woke up and one just passed. My levels are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 5-10 nitrates, 7.6 pH, 77 degrees. i did do a 90% WC 6 hours before adding the juliis. i drip acclimated them by adding a half cup of tank water every 10 minutes for one hour. QT tank is a 10 gallon cycled tank (3 months established) with black sand and java moss and java fern. my tap water is 8.2pH, 6-7 degrees KH, and 8-9 degrees GH. i purchased 3 for now with the hopes of getting to 8 corys to eventually put in my 55 gallon. any ideas on why this happened? what did i do wrong? i appreciate any knowledge. also worth pointing out ive never owned any corys before so maybe im screwing something up in the process.

Cody

It isn’t necessarily anything you did wrong, could be a lot of factors. Weak stock, previously ill, stress, etc. that is the advantage having quarantine and getting to monitor.

Now is where you want to try to identify if there is anything obviously wrong that might point to any issues.

philly27

It isn’t necessarily anything you did wrong, could be a lot of factors. Weak stock, previously ill, stress, etc. that is the advantage having quarantine and getting to monitor.

Now is where you want to try to identify if there is anything obviously wrong that might point to any issues.
what should i do? should i add a few more? should i try a different cory? im kind've lost on what to do.. are there hardier corys?

Cody

what should i do? should i add a few more? should i try a different cory? im kind've lost on what to do.. are there hardier corys?
I would at least see how this remaining cory does. If there is a health concern you wouldn’t want to introduce different Cories and have time fall is as well.

Julii cories are pretty common and there is a chance you may have just came across weak stock. I guess it hard to say exactly what is best since you do not know why they passed. Sometimes it just happens and you never know why, some fish just don’t handle the transitional well for whatever reason. And sometimes you may have fish with parasites or other ailments that need treatment. But I would give it time and see if you can keep the remaining cory alive. If you wanted you could add more cories but you just have to accept that risk. But again this is where your a step ahead with quarantine as it won’t affect your main fish.

Debbie1986

How big is you QT tank?

I had 2 false Juliis for over a year.I purchased 5 more of assorted sizes a few weeks back.

I did not QT, but that's because 1) i'm redoing my floors - no room and 2) it's hard to get that type of fish locally. I added mine directly to the 20 gallon tall that's been up & running for over 18 months. ( just snails and 1 betta for company)

Stress can kill. When my 2 false julliis were 'alone' they were with 6 green cory cats, so not technically alone-alone. The green cories let them hang, just not really 100% of the time.

I got my false Julii at a big box pet store ( not my normal one that I shop, but same chain next town over). I just kept an eye on them for a week or more looking for illness.

JMO - but if tank is cycled, I try not to stress fish. But *knock on wood* I have not had ich etc. But I do understand being careful of illness.

Cories are skittish imo. they tend to panic, that low a school (3) and if there's not enough hiding places or plants, just not a good combo.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies
Views
xPhish
Replies
Views
DD10
Replies
Views