Java Moss is brown

Desertdame

Hi. I have a problem. I just purchased a big bunch of Java moss, and probably half is brown. I was also wondering if that was normal. I know it's not making me happy. Should I remove as much of the brown/dead stuff as possible before permanently affixing it? How did your Java moss turn out? Any suggestions?

Madchild57

Hi. I have a problem. I just purchased a big bunch of Java moss, and probably half is brown. I was also wondering if that was normal. I know it's not making me happy. Should I remove as much of the brown/dead stuff as possible before permanently affixing it? How did your Java moss turn out? Any suggestions?
I bought a bunch of Java moss and it turned brown on me and my pleco or someone ended up eating it or it just disintegrated in the water. Only a few strands of moss survived and turned green again. I bought some new moss and it's currently very overgrown.

Pwilly07

You need to spread out clumps. The brown is not getting the proper nutrients it needs. Mine grows like a weed and needs to be thinned out over time as the dark spots in the tank won't allow it any light. Most moss needs a little light and the mulm and junk that collects on it shaken off from time to time. That's what I notice in my tanks.

Desertdame

You need to spread out clumps. The brown is not getting the proper nutrients it needs. Mine grows like a weed and needs to be thinned out over time as the dark spots in the tank won't allow it any light. Most moss needs a little light and the mulm and junk that collects on it shaken off from time to time. That's what I notice in my tanks.
This java moss came half dead/brown from the seller. Since I've not had java moss before, I didn't know whether this was normal. It was a very large bunch, about 3 good cups. Dividing it up didn't help because I would have had to manually pick out every strand of brown, and I'm not doing that. It fouled my tank by creating tons of dead plant matter. I threw it all out & had to clean up the mess it made. I'm not going to deal with that again. Lesson learned

Pwilly07

This java moss came half dead/brown from the seller. Since I've not had java moss before, I didn't know whether this was normal. It was a very large bunch, about 3 good cups. Dividing it up didn't help because I would have had to manually pick out every strand of brown, and I'm not doing that. It fouled my tank by creating tons of dead plant matter. I threw it all out & had to clean up the mess it made. I'm not going to deal with that again. Lesson learned
I don't send brown moss. You should get your money back. Mine would be dark green with no brown because that would be unhealthy moss. I'm sorry it happened. Usually when getting that much people don't care if some brown is in it. Not the right way to do business in my opinion.

ruud

Next time, you can first put it in a vase on a windowsill (not in direct sunlight or only briefly a day) and put an airstone on the bottom; your moss will thrive quickly. Well, you cannot raise living out of the dead, but the parts that are still alive will propagate for sure. All the healthy ones can be picked out and placed in your tank.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
faywayway
Replies
Views
jaydivingboard
  • Question
Replies
Views
OneShot