Is Driftwood Needed For A Bristlenose Pleco?

Artemis2
Hello is driftwood needed for a Bristlenose Pleco? I keep reading different things about it. If so do I need to do something special with driftwood to make it aquarium ready? Please help!Thanks.

goldface
Do they absolutely need it? No. A couple members here keep them successfully without it, and even have them breed readily. One member I can think of right now is Redshark1.

Joyii
I've kept my BN Pleco for a month and a half before finally getting her a small piece of driftwood yesterday. The staff at my local fish store told me that they don't need them but they would enjoy having a piece to nibble on.

I also made a post yesterday asking what needs to be done to driftwood to make it safe for the tank, and I was told that if you buy them from a retailer, all you'll need to do is soak it for a while or wash it if you don't mind the tannins. It took my small piece about a day and a half in dirty fish water to become water-logged enough to sink.

Fanatic
Agree, they certainly can live without it, but it really helps with digestion. If you don’t have any driftwood, try to provide some sort of organic matter comparable to wood, such as leaves or objects that will decompose underwater.

Adriifu
Agreed with the previous comment; it's not necessary, but it would be a nice bonus that the pleco would surely appreciate. If you would like to use it, you can soak it like JoyiI mentioned, however this will not be very effective in removing tannins (These will cause your water to become brown, but they are not harmful to fish. In fact, I believe there are studies that show them to be beneficial). A better route to remove the tannins is boiling the wood, which is my preferred method. Depending on the type of wood you get, it may take a few days to several weeks for the wood to become water-logged. I usually hold it in place with a large stone until it's able to sink on its own. All of these steps are necessary for brand new wood. You can always buy some water-logged wood if your LFS has some on hand, though.

BusterBot28
Artemis2 said:
Hello is driftwood needed for a Bristlenose Pleco? I keep reading different things about it. If so do I need to do something special with driftwood to make it aquarium ready? Please help!Thanks.
Mine loved driftwood and would sleep on it all day.

cichlid4life
it is always better to add driftwood to a tank that has a bristle nose pleco, because they will often depend on the driftwood for a reliable and fibrous source of food.

DarkOne
BNs absolutely need driftwood to rasp on as it helps digestion. All herbivorous and some carnivorous plecos need driftwood.

Artemis2
What are tannins? What do they do? Is it okay for other fish?

Thunder_o_b
Artemis2 said:
I keep drift wood in all our aquariums. We have two ABN. Beast is 9 years old and Benny is five years old.

Tannins are not harmful and actually benefit some fish. Oddly enough I have to add black water because the drift wood I use does not seem to leach it to the water.

cichlid4life
Artemis2 said:
amazonian fish have adapted to water with lots of tannins from the tons of driftwood that is everywhere in the river. Tannins are a brownish dye that sort of seeps out of driftwood naturally as it stays under water for long long periods of time, and it gives an aquarium the effect that the tank water has some brown color to it, although tannins look natural, some people hate it because they want "crystal clear water" or "pristine water" but that is 100% impossible.

Artemis2
cichlid4life said:
amazonian fish have adapted to water with lots of tannins from the tons of driftwood that is everywhere in the river. Tannins are a brownish dye that sort of seeps out of driftwood naturally as it stays under water for long long periods of time, and it gives an aquarium the effect that the tank water has some brown color to it, although tannins look natural, some people hate it because they want "crystal clear water" or "pristine water" but that is 100% impossible.
So will goldfish be okay with them?

Thunder_o_b
cichlid4life said:
Actually I have crystal water in the non tannin aquariums

Adriifu
Artemis2 said:
That depends on a lot. What’s the tank size?

Artemis2
Adriifu said:
That depends on a lot. What’s the tank size?
It is a 29 gal tank.

bizaliz3
Artemis2 said:
It is a 29 gal tank.
Common and comet goldfish really shouldn't be kept in a tank that small. Many people keep them in ponds because they get so huge and are very messy.

You definitely don't have room for the added bioload of a pleco.

They also don't thrive in the same temperatures.

Adriifu
Artemis2 said:
It is a 29 gal tank.
You have room for a pleco, but not room for goldfish.

Artemis2
Trust me I know this but this is currently their home until my family finishes building a pond for them in the backyard(1-2 years) I've had my goldfish for 4 years now. Orignialy living in a 1 gallon tank for 2 years than a 5 gallon and than just got moved into this new tank(back in March of this year). I just wanted to see if goldfish will do okay with driftwood because the pleco will do better with it.

goldface
Yes, driftwood with goldfish is fine. The effect of tannins it has on ph is exaggerrated.

bizaliz3
You already have a heavy bioload. I wouldn't add a pleco if I were you. And again...they thrive at different temperatures.

Artemis2
bizaliz3 said:
You already have a heavy bioload. I wouldn't add a pleco if I were you. And again...they thrive at different temperatures.
I have already figured out what I am going to do with a heavy bioload since I already knew it was going to be higher than what I have now. I don't think the temerature is going to be an issue as below I have included snips of both a BN and a goldfish temperature levels(in that order from the fishlore website) . The temperature I keep it at in the tank fits both of their parameters so I'm not concerned about that.

upload_2018-10-10_15-26-11.png

upload_2018-10-10_15-26-32.png

bizaliz3
Artemis2 said:
I have already figured out what I am going to do with a heavy bioload since I already knew it was going to be higher than what I have now. I don't think the temerature is going to be an issue as below I have included snips of both a BN and a goldfish temperature levels(in that order from the fishlore website) . The temperature I keep it at in the tank fits both of their parameters so I'm not concerned about that.

upload_2018-10-10_15-26-11.png

upload_2018-10-10_15-26-32.png
I was just giving my opinion. You do you!

As for temperatures, they do both have very large ranges they can live in. I was just referring to the temps they most thrive in. Which is more in the middle of their ranges. Middle for goldfish would be mid-60s based on that snip. And the middle for the pleco is low to mid 70s.
My personal opinion is that goldfish and tropical fish shouldn't be mixed. But lots of people do it and that's totally their choice.

Good luck with everything!

Artemis2
bizaliz3 said:
I was just giving my opinion. You do you!

As for temperatures, they do both have very large ranges they can live in. I was just referring to the temps they most thrive in. Which is more in the middle of their ranges. Middle for goldfish would be mid-60s based on that snip. And the middle for the pleco is low to mid 70s.
My personal opinion is that goldfish and tropical fish shouldn't be mixed. But lots of people do it and that's totally their choice.

Good luck with everything!
No I totally understand I just am at a lost on what to do for an huge algae out break I currently have. I've tried just about everthing from chemicals, lights, snails,plants and just trying to find another solution and people keep pushing plecos. I trying to get as much information as possible before I do anything because I want whatever I decide for my fish is the best solution without putting them in danger or the other creatures (snails were eaten) in danger. Thanks for the information I appreciate it.

bizaliz3
Artemis2 said:
No I totally understand I just am at a lost on what to do for an huge algae out break I currently have. I've tried just about everthing from chemicals, lights, snails,plants and just trying to find another solution and people keep pushing plecos. I trying to get as much information as possible before I do anything because I want whatever I decide for my fish is the best solution without putting them in danger or the other creatures (snails were eaten) in danger. Thanks for the information I appreciate it.
What kind of snails did you try? I find nerite snails to be the best algae removers out there. But if you tried that, then never mind.

As for a pleco helping with your algae problem, I'm afraid you might be disappointed. I breed BN plecos and in my experience they are not good algae cleaners. They will munch on it, but not remove it.
Don't get a pleco just to clean your tank. They bring more of a mess than they actually clean. Only get the pleco if you like plecos and want to own one.

Have you tried manually removing the algae? What color is it?

Artemis2
bizaliz3 said:
What kind of snails did you try? I find nerite snails to be the best algae removers out there. But if you tried that, then never mind.

As for a pleco helping with your algae problem, I'm afraid you might be disappointed. I breed BN plecos and in my experience they are not good algae cleaners. They will munch on it, but not remove it.
Don't get a pleco just to clean your tank. They bring more of a mess than they actually clean. Only get the pleco if you like plecos and want to own one.

Have you tried manually removing the algae? What color is it?
I have been through 5 snails. The tiger nerite, lion nerite, ivory, mystery(2- dark grey & black and yellow) snails. I think the tiger & lion nerite were eaten by the fish and than the ivory and one mystery snail shells cracked (low calium so when it cracked they drowned) and than the other mystery snail got ripped in half by the fish.

Mmmm I do like how they look so if they don't get all of it but at least some I'm not to worried. I have tried manually removing it but it just keeps coming back. The algae starts out green but than after a few hrs it turns black.

bizaliz3
Artemis2 said:
I have been through 5 snails. The tiger nerite, lion nerite, ivory, mystery(2- dark grey & black and yellow) snails. I think the tiger & lion nerite were eaten by the fish and than the ivory and one mystery snail shells cracked (low calium so when it cracked they drowned) and than the other mystery snail got ripped in half by the fish.

Mmmm I do like how they look so if they don't get all of it but at least some I'm not to worried. I have tried manually removing it but it just keeps coming back. The algae starts out green but than after a few hrs it turns black.
That's too bad about the snails :-(

Well I hope you can get things sorted out!

Artemis2
bizaliz3 said:
That's too bad about the snails :-(

Well I hope you can get things sorted out!
It is they were doing a great job at keeping all the algae down. Thank you.

cichlid4life
Artemis2 said:
Artemis2 said:
It is a 29 gal tank.
Yes, goldfish are completely unharmed by Tanins as they are naturally occurring in the wild.
Thunder_o_b said:
Actually I have crystal water in the non tannin aquariums
it is because you don't have drift wood in those tanks, but in all fairness and technicality, your water is not exactly 100% "crystal clear" and "pristine water" because that is impossible. Although you could have clean water that is not brown, but that is still considered a little bit "dirty".

Smalltownfishfriend
cichlid4life said:
Yes, goldfish are completely unharmed by Tanins as they are naturally occurring in the wild.
it is because you don't have drift wood in those tanks, but in all fairness and technicality, your water is not exactly 100% "crystal clear" and "pristine water" because that is impossible. Although you could have clean water that is not brown, but that is still considered a little bit "dirty".
You should go take a peek at some of Thunder_o_b tanks!!! You will be amazed at how gorgeous they are!!

cichlid4life
and how am I suppose to see this pics?

Thunder_o_b
Artemis2 said:
Your tanks look amazing!
Thank you Artemis Drift would need not be a limiting factor in pristine water.

Peko
Alot of people don't give there plecos anything. They just survive on what they clean up in the tank. Mine very rarely eats algae wafers. So I stopped putting them in. I will put a piece of cucumber or something on a fork and drop it in. He loves it.

Artemis2
Peko said:
Alot of people don't give there plecos anything. They just survive on what they clean up in the tank. Mine very rarely eats algae wafers. So I stopped putting them in. I will put a piece of cucumber or something on a fork and drop it in. He loves it.
Raw cucumber or do you cook it?

Peko
I use raw. Plecos and cichlids love it. Just put it on a fork to weigh it down

bizaliz3
ZucchinI is even healthier than cucumber for them. I suggest that instead.
I also do raw and use a plant weight to weigh it down.

Artemis2
Has anyone one tried peas with plecos?

Kasshan
Driftwood isn't essential, but it is nice to have. Mine breed prolifically with or without it. Also zucchinI spinach peas are good in small quantity, like a tablespoon every few days, or else you can foul the water of you don't have an army of plecos or Malay trumpets snails. I would not use cucumber since I think people confused it for zucchini.

cichlid4life
Peko said:
but without the driift wood they would survive, bu not for more than a year and a half because they depend on the fibrous driftwood for a good food source to eat. They need it to grow properly, and to develop properly in life.

Artemis2
Kasshan said:
Driftwood isn't essential, but it is nice to have. Mine breed prolifically with or without it. Also zucchinI spinach peas are good in small quantity, like a tablespoon every few days, or else you can foul the water of you don't have an army of plecos or Malay trumpets snails. I would not use cucumber since I think people confused it for zucchini.
Just asking since I like to so treats on Sundays.

goldface
There are only two genera I’m aware of that are considered wood-eaters and so would require wood: Panaque and Panaqolus.

GoldfishGuy
BNs don't need driftwood, but they benefit from it. It aids in digestion.

Other plecos like those in the genus panaque require wood as it is a main part of their diet.
A common example of one would be the clown pleco.

Top Bottom