Help! Sick guppy fish!

Tayler

Help! I have 3 female guppy fish in a 6 gallon planted tank! A month ago I noticed one of the female guppies was a bit skinnier than the other guppies. The other two guppies in the tank were still normal sized. The guppy that was skinny still ate quite voraciously, so I figured I would wait a bit to see if she got skinnier. She did progressively get skinnier and I figured she had wasting disease.

I treated her with levamisole, and didn’t see a difference. The skinny guppies poop was also white yesterday. I am currently treating her with API general cure for her wasting disease. It’s been the 3 days since I added the first dose of general cure. The skinny guppy seems to be getting worse! She’s starting to pinecone a bit and seems to have trouble swimming a little bit. It’s almost like her tail is kinda heavy and it weighs her down! She’s also really skinny! Help! I got some photos, hopefully they might help.

Attachments

• A2D15725-24BF-43B9-A31A-C067CACE8123.jpeg
    A2D15725-24BF-43B9-A31A-C067CACE8123.jpeg
    181.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 54FAE4DE-DC7B-49BC-964C-9407D3434268.jpeg
    54FAE4DE-DC7B-49BC-964C-9407D3434268.jpeg
    193.5 KB · Views: 15

RioMilano

I can't see any pine coning. However, white poop is a sign of internal parasites.

What food are you using?

What are your water parameters?

Tayler

I can't see any pine coning. However, white poop is a sign of internal parasites.

What food are you using?

What are your water parameters?
I feed them omega one flake foods 2 times a day and brine shrimp 4 times a week.

water parameters:
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 0ppm
I feed them omega one flakes 2 times a day and frozen brine shrimp 4 times a week. I also skip one day of the week and don’t feed them.

Water parameters:
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 5ppm

RioMilano

Given its a heavily planted 6 gallon her immune system could of weakened from stress due to the little space she has. Also 3 females is no good. You need 2 females for each male. So 4 females and 2 males would be ideal. But this would mean overstocking. The tank you have would be more suited to a betta.

What is your ph?
In all honesty she looks fine appearance wise.

CrackerboxPalace

Given its a heavily planted 6 gallon her immune system could of weakened from stress due to the little space she has. Also 3 females is no good. You need 2 females for each male. So 4 females and 2 males would be ideal. But this would mean overstocking. The tank you have would be more suited to a betta.

What is your ph?
Nothing wrong with having 3 female guppies in my experience. And no there's definitely pineconing and severe wasting, this requires immediate treatment.

Tayler

Nothing wrong with having 3 female guppies in my experience. And no there's definitely pineconing and severe wasting, this requires immediate treatment.
Any recommendations on what to treat them with? I am currently treating them with API general cure.

What is your ph?
My ph is 7.6ppm

CrackerboxPalace

Any recommendations on what to treat them with? I am currently treating them with API general cure.
Hi- sorry I think you missed my first post. here it is:

Curved spine, sunken belly disease – esp. livebearers

These are the same symptoms my guppies got. They all died :( best course of action is to isolate the fish from the others immediately and, if you see red worms protruding from its vent, treat with levamisole/praziquantiel/metronidazole etc. whichever is easiest to get.

Tayler

Hi- sorry I think you missed my first post. here it is:

Curved spine, sunken belly disease – esp. livebearers

These are the same symptoms my guppies got. They all died :( best course of action is to isolate the fish from the others immediately and, if you see red worms protruding from its vent, treat with levamisole/praziquantiel/metronidazole etc. whichever is easiest to get.
Thanks for your help. My bad, I did miss your first post. I read your article and I don’t see any worms, (Although when I first got her a bit over a year ago she had camallanus worms, but recovered with levamisole) I haven’t seen red worms protruding from the fish since.

I’m currently acclimating the sick guppy into a 1.5 gallon bin. I was originally just using the bin for extra aquarium plants that I didn’t want to compost. Some of the plants decayed and died, so I figured there might be a little bit of beneficial bacteria in it already. I also added a handful of gravel from my aquarium. Unfortunately i do not have an extra filter, but I do have an air pump that’s currently running in the bin. I also do not have a heater.

I’m not sure on how I’m going to treat the fish. But so far I just added a bit of aquarium salt.
I decided to continue with the API general cure for treatment of the sick guppy fish along with a bit of aquarium salt. I’ll update if it works.

Tayler

Update: unfortunately the guppy passed away last night :(
Her spine started to curve more in the end. Yesterday her poop was a mix of white and brown, and she didn’t eat much.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SM1199
  • Question
55 Gallon Tank Guppy wasting disease
Replies
Views
Chris4Jesus
Replies
Views
Analisemcg