Game Of Thrones Fans?

1. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Starting a thread like this always seemed rather juvenile to me, but for some reason I feel compelled to do so. Guess I'm getting senile in my old age.

Okay, I spent most of last week watching 60 hours of GoT, as I had never watched it previously. HBO had a free week on Comcast, so I figured to watch the first episode or two, and if I didn't like it (which is what I expected) at least I would know why. The first episode intrigued me, the second hooked, and I was pulled into yet another fantasy story by a really good storyteller. Once I had the principles of the story, I found myself able to predict a little bit of where it was going, but there were still surprises.

If you are a fan but have not yet seen the latest episode, you might want to stop reading here, as there are potential spoilers ahead.

Anyway, I noticed that there are at least a few others on the forum who seem to be interested, and I would love to have someone to discuss it with. I will say my favorite character is actually Arya Stark. Her move in the season 7 premiere was not a surprise to me once it started, but it was an indication of how serious she is when she goes for revenge. If she isn't the one who ends Circei Lannister I would be surprised, and a little disappointed. She does seem to be pretty cold-blooded right now, though. Hope she can get over that once Circei is gone.

Also, everything I read about it before seeing the series made me think Tyrion Lannister was supposed to be a bad guy. Turned out he was the exact opposite. Okay, killing your own father isn't exactly a good guy move, but let's be honest, neither is having your own son executed. The old man deserved it, and the location was appropriate.

I was very surprised at the end of season 6 to learn from Bran Stark's time-walk that Jon Snow was not actually Ned Stark's son, but his nephew. If you have followed the story, then you also realize who his true father was, which would explain why Ned Stark lied about it.

So, who's your favorite character? What development did you find most shocking? Who isn't what you expected of them?

2. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

haha chromedome52 is human! (no offense, sometimes i think you're a robot because how smart and incredibly knowledgeable you are :) )

I like Arya Stark too; she turned out to be surprisingly ruthless when she meant it, and shes great in the books too. I really hopes she kills Lannister for the same reason; she seems like the perfect character to do so. And Theon too because he had a really interesting storyline to follow as well (Season 3 had the best imo for him!) that was a real whirlwind when they first started focusing on him

And Daenerys, because, dragons :p Shes cool too, but shes much to perfect and pretty for me as a female human being not to be annoyed by her because I want to be her lolz. I just like her dragons and I want them...but for now, I have fish that I give dragon names (Lol, my dominant female betta is named Drogon, the beta is Viserion, and the other beta is Rhaegal...and I may or may not have picked them because they looked like said dragons:rolleyes:

3. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

I'm seriously behind on this series. It's a series I know I'd love but not one I've ever had the opportunity to watch. Yet it seems like everyone has caught the GOT fever as of late

4. Geoff

Geoff Well Known Member Member

It's hard to pick a favorite character! I love Arya for obvious reasons, and her opening scene was amazing. I agree, she better be the one to off Cersei.

As far as character development, that's got to be Sansa by far. She started off as a meek, shy, "princess" doing the things girls are expected to do, but after the awful experiences she was put through by Joffrey and Ramsey and having most of her family murdered, she's been becoming (if not already) a force to be reckoned with. I wonder if she should be the Lady of the North instead of Jon being Lord, especially given his parentage. I loved the exchange between the two of them after she questioned him in front of everyone. She did not back down.

And you have to love Tyrion. His quote, "I drink and I know things. It's what I do," is one of the best.

After 6 seasons of blood and gore, none of it bothering me, I almost could not watch Sam Tarly's daily routine montage in the premiere. That was disgusting. And the whole getting into the restricted library smacks of Harry Potter and Hogwarts.

5. KinsKicks

Lol, you're not the only one, I'm not GOT crazy-psycho, but I do like it. I watch it on dailymotion when I can...so all my episode watching has been very sparse :p

6. Sakura48

Sakura48 Fishlore VIP Member

What! Chrome is a human? I always thought he was mechanical.
    (just a little joke there)

7. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

Sansa is my favorite too. Her most appropriate handling of Ramsay Bolton was gruesome, but sooo bada**. He deserved every bite.

Arya is an obvious top character too. I love how she learned all that "I have no name" stuff only to quit. She certainly knew what she was doing from the beginning. Totally planned on seeking revenge for her family.

Jon Snow isn't even in my top favorites. I could do without him. I mean I know he is a main character, but I think they need to amp him up a bit. This first episode didn't do him justice. Especially since last season he did so much.

I guess we will see what happens once Daenerys and Jon are brought together by the need for Dragon Glass. Since technically Daenerys is Jon's biological aunt. Not sure she is going to be too happy about that lol

Ohhh and I named my new betta Sir Lannister, Kingslayer. Haha

8. Geoff

@AllieSten - I agree about Jon. As far as what will happen when he meets up with Daenerys, I wonder what will happen. I think I remember reading or hearing that Targaryens historically married brother/sister. I guess they were open about it, unlike Jaime and Cersei. Even though they're not brother/sister, aunt/nephew is close enough haha. So maybe there will be a Jon/Daenerys union that will unite her armies with his and together will defeat the Lannisters (Arya still better be the one to kill Cersei). But at some point, they're gonna have to deal with the Night King and his scary-as-all-get-out army. Sooo many theories about what will happen, especially since the series is beyond the books now.

9. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

You know what ruined the new episode for me?

When Sansa had dyed her hair in the finale of Season 5, and came down the stairs of Erie in her kickbutt feather dress ready to slay.

She went like, "shall we begin" and that was so powerful...
    ....only to be a part of that convoluted mess in season 6.

Now Dany is like, "shall we begin," but at this point it's just an underhwhelming recycled line. :/

10. D

Discusluv Well Known Member Member

Hands down, Tyrion. He is the most human of all the characters.
    Ever read any of Shakespeare's plays, especially "Henry V?" He is the epitome of the tragic/comic, fool/genius, sop/sober Falstaffian figure.
    I think that, in the end, he will be sitting right next to Daenerys on the throne.

11. OP
    OP
    chromedome52

I do want to read the books now, and that is also unusual for me. There are movies for which I had already read books, and you see so much missing. But if I've seen the movies/TV shows, I feel like knowing what's going to happen would spoil the reading. However, in this case, I have heard that the show diverges slightly from the books, so now I'm curious about it. And I like George r.r. Martin's writing anyway. Odd that I hadn't already read the books.

12. D

Discusluv Well Known Member Member

His books are amazing, I put them right up there with many of the great 20th century historical novelists: Ken Follet, Colleen McCullough, or Umberto Eco.
    In the book, minus the dragons and magic, you have a very realistic portrayal of the brutal conditions of the medieval age. It is European history, but not (just as magical as dragons) by the very fictional codes of chivalry ( The honorable king, the constant queen.. blah... blah...).
    There are no heroes- just the few who hold power and the masses that are subject to that power.
    I dont feel the television show fully portrays this- and maybe it cant, because of the restrictions the media form has to communicate merely by visuals or dialogue.
    With the books, you get the complexity of character, see the inner dilemmas more clearly, and the violence doesn't just appear to be for "shock value." Of course violence doesn't make sense, but, in the books you can trace the feelings that inspired it.

13. BettaPonic

BettaPonic Well Known Member Member

I am interested in the lineage of the royalty.

14. Geoff

This season is new territory. The show caught up with the books and will be moving on ahead of them. I'll be curious to see how the books match up with the show...once Mr. Martin gets to finishing them. I heard he told the showrunners how he envisions the story to end, so maybe they'll stay someone true to each other. We shall see!

15. OP
    OP
    chromedome52

Okay, my sweet niece has graciously allowed me to "hijack" her account so that I can watch HBO and GoT! So I am up to date with the first three episodes of season 7!
    There are spoilers to follow.

I think that, despite the fact that she says she doesn't like "the King of the North", Daenarys is actually quite fascinated by him. Wonder what she'll think if she finds out he's her nephew?! At least they have come to some agreement, thanks to the quick thinking of Tyrion. Sometimes I think he is the smartest character on the show.

I thought it was great the way Old Lady Tyrell stuck it to Jaime Lannister just before her death. Even as she's dying, she gets the last shot. Do you think he will tell Cirsei, or keep it from her? I don't think he will tell her.

For once, I thought Cirsei's evil revenge was poetic justice. But leave it to her to go way beyond just killing someone to get even.

I am also starting to consider Samwell Tarley to be one of the unsung heroes of the war with the Night King. And just more heroic than he realizes overall. Not every hero fights with a sword.

I'm also anxious about next week. The previews showed a hand pulling a dagger from its sheath. The same dagger that was used to attack Brandon Stark waaaaaay back in the first episodes. Which we later learned that Tyrion lost in a game of chance to Littlefinger. And the rings on the hand look just like his. Who is the dirty pimp going after? Bran again? Or someone else? Arya, get home quick! (There are promo pictures of Arya with that dagger in her belt. Coincidence?)

Okay, somebody else say something now.

16. KinsKicks

Peanuts.

Haha, jk, but seriously tho, @chromedome52, your a delight :p

Also, Tyrion Lannister is secretly a Targaryen :p (I'm seriously hoping so...all the signs are THERE haha)

17. tyguy7760

Alright...so my wife and I started this series. I'm going to have to avoid this thread like the plague. We just started the 2nd season and it's fantastic so far.

18. Nart

Nart Well Known Member Member

@tyguy7760 you and your wife need to binge watch and catch up lol. The latest season is on fireeeeeeee

19. tyguy7760

haha i wish man. But with 3 kids, 2 jobs, we really only get about 1 episode a day.

20. Nart

Nart Well Known Member Member

@tyguy7760 My wife and I have two kids too.... 1 puppy 1 cat... and we get through at least 1 season per day, so..... haha, messing with you. Two jobs though? hard working man.