1-2-3 easy aquarium siphon instructions - video

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi everyone..
we have come across this question so many times. How do I get my siphon to work? Some suck up fish water.. others plunge it up and down in the water creating all kinds of waves that disturb the tank and stress the fish.
Others just would like to know how it get it to work! So I asked my daughter while she was still here to demonstrate while I took a video of it. She had not done it before and with the simple instructions you can see how really easy it can be.
This is why I did the video, in hopes that it will help anyone that is interested in doing it another way than sucking up dirty tank water .
I demonstrated in a 10g betta tank with the small siphon. If you use the larger size siphon as I have for the 55g tank, the only difference is letting up on your finger hold enough to let the water fill the hose before releasing the water. You will see what I mean when you check out the vid..
~ kate

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That was excellent! Thanks so much I do my larger one the same way except it is attached to a garden hose that drains outside.
Carol

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks Butterfly... ;D
I dont think that I am the only one that has come across these questions on getting the siphon to work on numerous occasions. Any thoughts to "sticky" this in the care and maintenance section where this thread is located for any future references? It will get lost .... as posts goes by and thought it may be helpful for anyone new that comes along.. Just a suggestion... what do you think?

~ kate

Chief_waterchanger

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Kate that was a very well laid out example of a great presentation and great learning manual.

Fishlore definately benefits from having people like you and your daughter on here.

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thank you CWC! ;D I have learned so much since joining this forum and always glad to be able to share any input on something that I may know about. At one point I was ready to throw out the sipon because I just couldnt get it to work. lol.. So I sure can understand any frustration when it comes to trying to get them to work. Hope that I have helped someone and saved them the frustration I had at learning how to do it.
Everyday I learn something new... as I try to be a better fish keeper. ;D

~ kate

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Haha! Great video and thanks for posting it. Folks don't have to drink fish water anymore.

Stickied

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Haha! Great video and thanks for posting it. Folks don't have to drink fish water anymore.

Stickied
thanks for the sticky Mike.. glad to help.. and hope that the video does too!

~ kate

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Uh! I am so upset that I have been using that up-down-up-down method. This is so great! Man, I wish it was time to do a water change. Thanks for tip.
Your welcome!

I know what you mean.. its like a tidal wave going on in the tank... and your fish are wondering what the heck your doing! lol... I used to do that too.

T Fishie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks alot for the video. I just wish that there was an easier way for me. I can't use the one that hooks up to your sink so I have to put the water in a bucket have my husband haul it outside and dump it.Then put fresh water in the bucket then have good ole hubby put it in the tank.If there is an easier way please let me know.I'm sure my husband would appreciate it.

Thanks!

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks alot for the video. I just wish that there was an easier way for me. I can't use the one that hooks up to your sink so I have to put the water in a bucket have my husband haul it outside and dump it.Then put fresh water in the bucket then have good ole hubby put it in the tank.If there is an easier way please let me know.I'm sure my husband would appreciate it.

Thanks!
Hello T Fishie
I know just what you mean! I do the vacuuming and cleaning and filling of the tanks, and my husband hauls the 5 gal buckets for me. I dont know an easier way other than using the python... which I hear are great!

NeoNMatrix

Reaction score
I don't understand why anyone would be sucking up water to start their syphon with that tool, you guys do know you just bob it up in down in your tank and it creates a syphon right? The instructions are on the package it's sold in :|

i mean the trick is cool for a regular tube or something, but that's a pump syphon you're demonstrating with and can easily be started without sucking on it.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

Thanks!
My siphon is just like the one in the video except I have a water hose connected to the end the water comes out of so the water goes outside into my flower beds. Then you can use buckets to fill back up with or do as I do and reverse the hose and connect it to my kitchen faucet, adjust the temp and then run water back into the tank. of course adding dechlor as you start the water into the tank
Carol

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't understand why anyone would be sucking up water to start their syphon with that tool, you guys do know you just bob it up in down in your tank and it creates a syphon right? The instructions are on the package it's sold in :|

i mean the trick is cool for a regular tube or something, but that's a pump syphon you're demonstrating with and can easily be started without sucking on it.
By the method described that comes with the vacuum you would be causing all kinds of tidal waves in your tank. Bobbing it up and down causes waves that really disrupt the tank and fish. I along with a lot of folks prefer a much gentler way to do it. As is described in the video.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
By the method described that comes with the vacuum you would be causing all kinds of tidal waves in your tank. Bobbing it up and down causes waves that really disrupt the tank and fish. I along with a lot of folks prefer a much gentler way to do it. As is described in the video.
I agree. When I had my betta in the 5g hex, that up down motion knocked her around, so I started taking her out for cleanings, both were stressful for her.

NeoNMatrix

Reaction score
aha that makes sense.

Fi$hFace

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
This really is a great idea... But.. Where do I get one of these syphons? I'm looking on the p-smart website and all I see are vacuums... Am I just ****?

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This really is a great idea... But.. Where do I get one of these syphons? I'm looking on the p-smart website and all I see are vacuums... Am I just ****?
below is the link at petsmart for the siphon/vacuum that is used in the video.
It comes in different sizes. The smallest works well on 10g tanks, and the larger size is better for all tanks over 10g

redkulat

Reaction score
That was excellent! Thanks so much I do my larger one the same way except it is attached to a garden hose that drains outside.
Carol
Have you ever given the Python NoSpill a try? It is a bit expensive but it beats having to lead anything outside and whatnot.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Have you ever given the Python NoSpill a try? It is a bit expensive but it beats having to lead anything outside and whatnot.
Actually no I like having good fertilized water for my flowers and garden. This helps conserve water in the summer when it's so scarce. In the winter time I can lay the end over in the bath tub and then clean the tub after
carol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom