Flat Pat's Tank Journal

Whitelightning

My betta, Flat Pat, has popeye and fin rot. This probably happened because during the time where I was going through severe depression, I was unable to care for him. Now that I'm better, I'm able to care for him. I am currently treating the fin rot with API Pimafix. In order to treat him with Pimafix, I also needed an airstone to keep the water oxygenated. Today, I got the airstone set up in the tank. He is mesmerized by all the bubbles. Today is day 1 of treating his fin rot.

Josie12012

Looks beautiful! Glad you are feeling better! I hope your fish heals quickly!

Whitelightning

Josie12012 said:
Looks beautiful! Glad you are feeling better! I hope your fish heals quickly!
Thank you so much for the kind words!

Whitelightning

Found out API Pimafix is bad for bettas and their labyrinth organ. I stopped using it after day 1. I've been treating with aquarium salt and it has done nothing. Found out from others that Flat Pat likely had a bacterial infection that caused the fin rot and had a secondary fungal infection. The plan is to treat with antibiotics. Erythromycin first for the bacterial infection and then Methylene Blue for the fungal infection. The Erythromycin should be coming tomorrow. I'm going to be away visiting my brother in Oklahoma for a few days (leaving tomorrow), so the timing is not that great. My mom is going to have to take care of Flat Pat while I'm gone. I have directions for her as to how to treat with Erythromycin. I'm a little nervous!

Whitelightning

Before I left, we all thought Flat Pat was going to die. He kept lying at the corner in the bottom of the tank one night. I couldn't sleep that night and was tearing up. I woke up the next morning and asked my mom to check on him because I was too nervous to see, and she told me she thought he was dead. I went in another room, and all of a sudden she came running exclaiming he was alive and moving! Throughout the day, before I left, he would occasionally get up and swim, and go back to the corner of the tank and lie down. I was very worried. I think the Pimafix did this. He was doing fine before. Plus I heard bad things about Pimafix the day after I used it, on how it coats the Labyrinth organ and makes it hard to breathe. No wonder he was at the bottom of the tank! I did a 50% water change, so hopefully I got some of it out. I laid out the directions for my mom on how to treat with Erythromycin while I was gone. I've been getting updates from her while I've been in Oklahoma. Apparently, he's swimming some more, but still goes to the bottom of the tank on occasion. I hope he's okay! I don't know if his fins have gotten any better because I haven't seen him. I check in with my mom daily to make sure she's able to follow the Erythromycin directions I laid out for her and to see how Flat Pat is doing.

Whitelightning

I got back from Oklahoma yesterday, checked on Flat Pat, and did a 25% water change. That is day 6 of his Erythromycin treatment and I'll be repeating the treatment a second time because I checked on his fins... Sadly the upper half of the caudal fin does not look like it will be growing back, but the white dead tissue is no longer white which I think is a good thing? The weird light blue spots on his fins seem to be mostly gone, so that's improvement. The ragged edges are still there, which is why I am repeating treatment, but I don't see any dark edging which I also think is a good thing? I think it's getting better. He seems to be tolerating it fine. On occasion, ever since the Pimafix, he's been lying at the bottom of the tank, but at least it's not for a long time like before. He's getting up there. By this summer, he'll be 3 years old! I wonder if he would have lived longer if I had been able to take care of him and hadn't had such severe depression... Makes me sad. But for now, he's 2 years old about to go on 3! His nickname is Flat Pat because his real name is Patriot, Pat for short, and Flat Pat because my mom noted that he looks flat or 2D. So we call him, "Flat Pat."

Whitelightning

Flat Pat looks the same. He hasn't gotten worse, so that's good, but he hasn't gotten better. Erythromycin treats gram-positive bacteria... I'm wondering if he's got gram-negative going on since it hasn't gotten any better. Today I started aquarium salt baths to treat his popeye. Hopefully, it brings some of the swelling down. I'm just not sure what to use for the fin rot...

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom