Exciting times

Kevin1962

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I got a mated pair of dwarf gouramis a few weeks ago. Put them in my lightly planted hospital tank 10g.
The female was portly, to say the least.
The male is vibrant and often chases the female.
He has built many bubble nests which have always been absent when the tank was observed the next morning. (Each gouramI are 1.5-1.75 inches.
He tore enough java moss apart to make a significant bubble nest today. I have been feeding frozen and live brine shrimp, daily daphnia, flakes and frozen blood worms.
79.8 F, minimal ammonia and <10 nitrates.
He went full crazy today and built a bubble nest of java moss.
She has gone to his nest many times and he has pressed her each time.
She comes to his nest and mouths his cloaca until he embraces her for less than a minute.
Long story short (way too late for that), are these gouramI just going through the paces or are they capable of breeding at this age?

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Kevin1962 said:
I got a mated pair of dwarf gouramis a few weeks ago. Put them in my lightly planted hospital tank 10 gallon.
The female was portly, to say the least.
The male is vibrant and often chases the female.
He has built many bubble nests which have always been absent when the tank was observed the next morning. (Each gouramI are 1.5-1.75 inches.
He tore enough java moss apart to make a significant bubble nest today. I have been feeding frozen and live brine shrimp, daily daphnia, flakes and frozen blood worms.
79.8 F, minimal ammonia and <10 nitrates.
He went full crazy today and built a bubble nest of java moss.
She has gone to his nest many times and he has pressed her each time.
She comes to his nest and mouths his cloaca until he embraces her for less than a minute.
Long story short (way too late for that), are these gouramI just going through the paces or are they capable of breeding at this age?
They should be sexually mature, they can do this multiple times but once she's spent you'll want to remove her because he will become very defensive over the eggs and will probably kill her.

OP
Kevin1962

Kevin1962

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thank you, Jinjer. I need to set up a place for her and him for their post spawn home.
I tried placing her in my display tank after the last episode but the aggressive flow drove her crazy.
I have a 33 long which I am trying to accommodate for their needs.

New Threads