Ever Had Coworkers Fabricate Lies?

Erupto35

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Annie59 said:
What difference does it make. Drama is drama and people are people no matter the work place.
Either way I just go my merry little way and ignore most people I work with. Makes life much easier for me anyway.
Don't think people who work at The Mayo Clinic can be difficult to work with? No matter the job there is almost always that one or two who want to advance and will pretty much do what they can to get there.

Amen. I used to manage a pizza shop. Pizza delivery is a super popular second job for crackheads all the way up to attorneys. Those attorneys, chemical plant supervisors, podiatrists, school principals, professional orchestral musicians and crackheads were all equally petty, irresponsible and difficult to manage.

Now that I'm self employed, I take my older kids along and train them how to not be "that guy". All you can do to fix the population is pump enough good folks into it to balance out the buttheads.

TetraSKS

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
AJ34 said:
Fish don’t lie
Nothing. This is the general discussion forum which might mean - any topic might pop up here.

I've gone through workplace drama in the past and my most favorite worked out in my favor and benefited the entire crew that I supervised. Until I quit work in 2016 I was a maintenance supervisor in the auto industry. Since the auto plants like to contract out supervision I was employed through a worldwide construction firm. My director was screwing up here and there and was trying to recreate himself at the expense of those on the family tree beneath him. My manager was a co-worker who had two weeks seniority over me with the company but he wasn't in supervision until I started. He was an hourly worker until then so, at that point, I had ten years experience over him. No big deal. We got along fine until the director started playing mind games with him which got him to turn against me and my afternoon shift counter part.
I wasn't going to stand for it so when he called me the next morning after the meeting he had where he told us how bad we were at our jobs I told him he needed to get over to my plant for a conversation. He asked who with and I told him it was me. He wanted to know what it was about and when I told him that he was misinformed and that we were on a path of constant battle if he didn't come over and listen to me.
He wasted no time, we straightened it all out and all was well.
Then, the director lied to me about something he claims the maintenance director of the plant had told him. Being the diligent person that I was I went directly to the director and asked him about his concern so that I could document it and take care of the problem after inspection. His reply was "Who is Jim and I've never been in that area."
Jim was fired by our home office that afternoon and I did get the opportunity to tell him to his face that he should never lie to someone who has an excellent rapport with their customers and knows their facility.
Oh, I don't miss working.
Just the income. I could buy more fish. ;-)

Logan.t.Foster

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My mom has a co worker who never pulls his weight. Thats bad as it is, but when you work in the Emergency Room, its even worse. My poor mom sometimes has 12 patients to look after at one time, while the other guy only has 3. He never does his work and it is really stressful for my mom, especially if someone passes away.

I however don't have a job yet, but I have been in an ever worse situation.

PUBLIC MIDDLE SCHOOL!!!! (NOOOOOOO!)

I wasn't liked because people wanted someone to make fun of, and they chose me. Rumors and lies spread about be, even though I tried to be nice to everybody. It eventually got so bad, I left school before it ended. Thankfully, I am homeschooled now, along with my other siblings, and I am getting a better education now than I could have gotten in public school.
But my little brother sometimes fibs , so theres no escape!!!!!!! :dead:

Genavelle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I worked at a flower shop once. It was small business (maybe 10 employees at the most, between two locations). I dont think we really had intentional lying, but some of the employees would talk about others behind their backs. And I think maybe when people start doing that, then everyone starts to make assumptions. "Yesterday I was with X, and she took so long to design her arrangements", "Y keeps putting too many flowers in for the value of her arrangements", etc. You hear stuff like that, and you start to view your coworkers differently. If the boss starts hearing stuff like that, they can also make assumptions about your work performance. And the worst part is like you said, your coworkers are never perfect either. I had a coworker who would make 30-minute personal phone calls when our boss left the store.

It gets really frustrating, and you can grow to resent people you used to like. I ended up quitting my job. I really enjoyed the work, but I felt like there was far too much pressure and stress (stress that wasnt due to the actual work) for the wages I was making.

My husband also recently switched jobs. His old company seemed to have no interest in job advancement. Plus, he was working in IT and one time he even applied for an opening in the software division. One of his IT superiors (who had a personal grudge) told the software people a bunch of bad stuff about my husband, so he wouldn't get the position. Anyways, there was a bunch of other stuff, but eventually he got a desktop analyst job at another company, and he LOVES it. He was at his last job for years, and he would always be grumpy after work. Now, he actually likes the work he does, hes seen other people move up (so they dont just block career advancement), he likes his boss, this company listens to his ideas, and they show appreciation for him.

Anyways, that was a lot. But my point is that sometimes it is better to just move on. If your boss is stuck with a bad view of you, it can be hard to change that. You might end up working with people you resent every day, and feel undervalued, and that could all just eat away at you. You should try to change your coworkers' perception of you (by doing some real good work for a while), but if that doesnt work, then maybe start looking for a new job.

YATT

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My advice @Crazycoryfishlady is to accept this place for what it is and suck it up. Start looking for a new job on the side. In the food industry I do think you’d be able to find some nice people to work with.

I hope you work in a large enough area where there are plenty of food jobs around. Good luck.

WillR1496

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
We have 1 person at work. It's gotten to the point that she has written to the EEOC. We only know because she printed out her letter and left it on the work network printer. We read it and laughed because she feels we're out to get her and it's all lies on the letter. I'm just waiting for the day for her to throw me under the bus to protect herself.

Magicpenny75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I work in an industry where women are rare, and the women that tend to work in the field are often a different breed than the Suzy Homemaker and Becky Businesswoman you might think. It can be pretty cutthroat. I worked at one office where I became very close to several coworkers, loved my job, thought of them as family. I spent three months working on an administrative manual (apparently I'm good at writing step by step instructions) and a week after I put it on the server, a jealous coworker DELETED it. I was young and trusting and hadn't saved a copy locally. She never owned up to it, but karma got her eventually. I also learned that work friends are only rarely actual friends. Rarer than you might think. That was ten years ago and I sort of stopped trying to make friends after that.

Anthony Bloom

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Crazycoryfishlady: A serious question for you: are you looking to just vent some of your frustration here in this forum, or are you hoping to elicit advice as to how to handle your situation? If just venting, it looks like you have plenty of company; myself included.

I am a retired law-enforcement Officer of over 30 years In a city of over 100,000 population - my wife has nearly as many years as a small rural community high school teacher. My one son worked for an international manufacturer right out of high school. Another son worked early on for a McDonald’s. ALL OF US have experience what you’re describing; both long and short term.

The unfortunate truth is that you are going to run into these type of people at all levels of employment and unemployment situations. You are also going to run into a complete gamut of managers and oversee years will either look deeply into the situation to find out if it’s a personality conflict, or will adopt the easy answer of “the squeaky wheel gets the grease” (or my attention and I irr) irregardless of what the truth may be. It is unfortunately part of the nasty side of human nature.

The short answer is either to adapt and stay in your situation, or leave. The longer answer on each side becomes a tad more complicated.

If the situation Is stressful enough, I suggest looking at Indeed.com. Check it daily for your area, or the region in which you’re willing to work. Of all the job sites I’ve looked at this one produces the least amount of spam (I’m not sure I’m actually getting any from them) and they carry multiple job listings from unskilled labor up to high-level professional. Most people I referred to it have really liked what they found. One of my retirement part time jobs was there as well.

If you’re hoping to stay, I am willing to offer my insights from my experience, my training, and that of my family.

Best wishes on your situation as it moves forward. And as I’m sure you know, at the end of the day keep coming back to your fish. Toss in some food and enjoy the de-escalation affect of watching your little guys. If really stressed, toss in one flake at a time-each one named after your boss or coworker - and you can guess the rest!

Mrjazzery

Reaction score
At my work I’m the only one who doesn’t like speak or fully understand Spanish so they guys always find little things to lie about even tho Iv been there two years and these guys are all new to my work, and my boss like for sure never went to any kind of school barely understands English doesn’t know what the word “luxury” meant and we work at a freakin car dealership. I also feel hopeless and stuck here and want to quit. But then I wouldn’t be able to go long travel with my truck or buy a bigger fish tank!! But for reals I know what it feels like my coworkers literally claim they have been doing our job for 30 yrs plus but they still mess up brand new car paint with the acid and they don’t get in trouble because they speak Spanish and know how to woo the boss. I’m Mexican and my whole family speaks Spanish but my family doesn’t try and sabotage me at work because they want to advance, that’s my main problem and I can’t communicate about it. The biggest blow to me tho is that my boss is a freakin dummy tho I don’t understand why the wrong people advance in work environments.I just want to be a julicory and be poocrew in a tank sometimes I think things would be better. But that will never happen so I gotta be the bottom of society instead. Happy Friday! Just keep swimming!

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Anthony Bloom said:
Crazycoryfishlady: A serious question for you: are you looking to just vent some of your frustration here in this forum, or are you hoping to elicit advice as to how to handle your situation? If just venting, it looks like you have plenty of company; myself included.

I am a retired law-enforcement Officer of over 30 years In a city of over 100,000 population - my wife has nearly as many years as a small rural community high school teacher. My one son worked for an international manufacturer right out of high school. Another son worked early on for a McDonald’s. ALL OF US have experience what you’re describing; both long and short term.

The unfortunate truth is that you are going to run into these type of people at all levels of employment and unemployment situations. You are also going to run into a complete gamut of managers and oversee years will either look deeply into the situation to find out if it’s a personality conflict, or will adopt the easy answer of “the squeaky wheel gets the grease” (or my attention and I irr) irregardless of what the truth may be. It is unfortunately part of the nasty side of human nature.

The short answer is either to adapt and stay in your situation, or leave. The longer answer on each side becomes a tad more complicated.

If the situation Is stressful enough, I suggest looking at Indeed.com. Check it daily for your area, or the region in which you’re willing to work. Of all the job sites I’ve looked at this one produces the least amount of spam (I’m not sure I’m actually getting any from them) and they carry multiple job listings from unskilled labor up to high-level professional. Most people I referred to it have really liked what they found. One of my retirement part time jobs was there as well.

If you’re hoping to stay, I am willing to offer my insights from my experience, my training, and that of my family.

Best wishes on your situation as it moves forward. And as I’m sure you know, at the end of the day keep coming back to your fish. Toss in some food and enjoy the de-escalation affect of watching your little guys. If really stressed, toss in one flake at a time-each one named after your boss or coworker - and you can guess the rest!
Applause Anthony !

Colt47

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I work at a warehouse for Loblaws (The largest Canadian Grocery chain). We are unionized and there is so much drama at work it feels like high school all over again. Not to mention The supervisors just chill in the back office for most the day. so when we need them we can never find them espically when an Forklift spills a pallet of milk 40 ft in the air and the crates nearly hit people on the other side. Took about almost an hour for the supervisor to come out and do an investigation on it. My advice is to not let it bug you and just keep on working or you can move to another job as well there is tons of jobs on Indeed and you will find the right place.

uncle fishy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Usually when a coworker is putting you or anyone else down it is only to make themselves look better. I was a supervisor for 20 years and I could see right through that cheap, "self-preservation tactic". If yours can't or won't they might the main problem at your workplace.

Helaurin

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've seen it more often that I'd like. It's not just co-workers, but I've caught supervisors in lies too. Drives me nuts. I try to treat everyone equally with a blank slate. Lie to me, or lie about me, and I won't ever trust that person again. Sometimes, it ends up getting pretty messy. Examples:

1. First job out of college, a job at a stock brokerage that I took to pay bills while looking for my first "career" job. I was an administrative assistant (AA). A senior AA started taking longer lunches, cutting into my time, as I wasn't allowed to leave until she returned. At first, it was just a few minutes, which was fine - stuff happens once in a while. But it became a regular event, and my lunch break time wasn't shifting. Then it started being 10-15 minutes, leaving me only 15-20 minutes of my 30-minute lunch break. And then she started coming back at the end of my lunch break - taking her half hour plus my half hour. I finally said something to the broker I primarily reported to. Sure enough, that day, she left at her appointed time, and didn't come back until my lunch break time was over. The broker called her into the office, and apparently, she tried to lie and tell him that she hadn't been coming back late. He called her out on it, and I could see her face getting red and her hands waving around as she tried to wiggle out of it. He wasn't having it. She finally walked out of the broker's office, stormed directly over to where I was sitting, and before I could do or say anything, she slapped me as hard as she could across the face with the entire office - and some stock brokerage clients - watching. You could have heard a pin drop in the moment that followed. The broker flung his door open, and the broker in charge of the office suddenly made himself available too. We both were told to get into broker's office, the Senior AA started trying to lie and say that she hadn't been taking any long lunches, etc., started to say this "whole thing" was *my* fault, and the broker I reported to basically told her to shut up - he'd seen the whole thing. I was sent home for the rest of the day (with pay) and told to report back the next day, and they would figure out whatever they were going to figure out. The next day, I was told we would both get to keep our jobs, but that we had to be more cordial to each other. I'm sure the expression on my face was **** - so I was then told that in the future, if the person who had lunch break before me started to routinely take my break as well, to let the broker know. As far as I know, the Senior AA had no penalites applied to her either.

2. Left the job above to start my first "career" job. I wasn't that thrilled with the salary offered. I asked if they could increase the offer, and I was told that the amount offered was the absolute maximum for that position title. I took the offer, and then six months later, found out that another person, who had been hired at the same time as me, by the same person, for the same team, with the same job title, responsibilities, etc... had been hired at about 12% higher salary than I, despite my credentials being better. Poor guy was so upset, because I helped him a lot, and he thought I had to be making more than he was. When I confronted the manager, I was informed he was given a higher salary because he was a man, and if I hadn't liked the salary offered, I shouldn't have accepted the job. My response was that I had only accepted it because I had been informed that was the absolute max for a new hire, which was now an obvious lie. I ended up having to mention that what they'd done was illegal; they countere with increasing my salary to just under what my male coworker had started at. They laid out a "plan" where it would take about 2 years for me to get paid the same as my male coworker, because it wouldn't be fair to immediately pay me as much as him, since he was expecting a baby soon.... let's just say my days there were numbered, and they were pretty unpleasant.
3. It's not just employers or coworkers. When I tried to get a mortgage, there weren't many lenders willing to underwrite a mortgage for a young couple with only a year of job history. To get the loan, the lender required that I sign a statement that I would not get pregnatn for the next two years, since my income was going to be counted in their loan underwriting process. I thought that might be illegal, but they said it wasn't. Found out afterwards that it most definitely is illegal to require a loan applicant to essentially sign away their reproductive rights for any period of time.

Anyone wonder why I try to double-check pretty much anything anyone tells me, if they haven't already earned my trust?

JackieWitch

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have been lucky or maybe just so absent minded that I never know when there’s a rumour about me. Always the last to know. Gladly.

Canaculus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Crazycoryfishlady said:
Long story short I just got in a lot of trouble because my coworkers continuously make things up about how Im working and it all just got thrown on me today.
My boss ignored me asking her for help, and they just denied ever telling me I was reaching out to them in the first place.
Next time I'm getting written up and getting personally trained by them to relearn how to do a job I do better than those who lie about me...
I just want to quit..
I never wanted this job or the one before...
They have no concern with others, or with my well being during this job or outside of it.

They said I constantly don't temp product and that I look at it, refuse to temp it, and say it "looks fine" i would never ever do that... I never have..
One time I joked about it like months ago but I was literally temping that food...
Yeah it's kinda annoying when coworkers do that. Where do you work?

Tank Girl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mr. Kgnao said:
Also, steal everything that's not nailed down, that's how I got my pneumatic drill. Now if only I had an air compressor and something to drill pneumatically...
Okay, this wrecked me 1787]1787]1787]

Canaculus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
OK, this thread reminds me of some stories.
One time, I was up front doing random jobs (running food, sweeping, stocking etc.) when one of the managers was like "Hey, can you get me some prepared kid bags?" I was like "Sure". So I go into the back to get them, when one of the other managers (he's kinda nasty) was like "What are you doing back here, your supposed to be on front and dining room" so I got yelled at for NO REASON :rage:. I tried explaining what I was doing but he was just like "I don't want to hear your excuses" :shifty::shifty::shifty:.

McFly

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As long as you work with others it's inevitable. Drama WILL rear its ugly head.
Every time someone talks about my work to my boss, I ask to have a meeting
with the Boss, and my accuser to discuss the issue. People that talk **** usually
don't want to confront who they are trying to belittle. Most of the time the boss says
they don't want to meet, which immediately discredits their bashing. If they DO meet,
the issue is discussed in front of the boss, who will hear both sides, and be able to
make a decision on or if corrective action is taken. Sometimes misunderstanding
leads to unneeded drama.

In that meeting, be professional, never get emotional, no matter how irate or agitated
the other person is. If you're doing your job right, you have nothing to worry about.
Don't accuse the other person of anything, or let the subject be changed. Stay focused
on the issue you're being accused of, and how to resolve it.

Odds are, if they're called on their bluff, they'll try to change the subject. Keep focused
on the reason you are there. You're there to resolve ONE ISSUE.

If the Boss refuses the meeting, then politely tell him/her that you would like to resolve
the work issue, and that what was said is "inaccurate" (not a lie), tell your part of the
story, mention "inaccuracies" in the accusations, then reinforce to resolve the issue the
best thing to do is to discuss the issue with your accuser.

It's a very good tactic, it shows you're willing to resolve the issue, you want to work
WITH the accuser to rectify the problem, and you're confident enough to do so.

NEVER call the liar 'a liar' at work, or say that your accuser is a liar to your boss,
or discuss the issue with other co-workers, it only escalates the problem.
Just remain willing to resolve the issue. Always remain level headed and focused.

I will say, that by doing this, I never got written up, I rarely got back-stabbed by anyone,
because they knew I would want to resolve it in front of management.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My best one was I was supposed to work on a loader. I was busy so another coworker fixed it and parked it back were it was. Another coworker complained the loader never got fixed since he missed the other guy fixing it. Well he spoke up a little too loud and got punched in the face. Yea he never complained after that. And no I didn't give him the bloody nose.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom